Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMO like EverQuest (the first one) and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

NizumzenNizumzen Member UncommonPosts: 81
So it has been an awful long time since I last visited this site and it has likewise been an awfully long time since I played an MMO properly. I'd like to get back into the genre but since I've been out of the scene for so long I have no idea what the good current and future games are.

I'd like to play an MMO which has more of a hardcore element to it. I've played games like Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft and while they were well put together I found them somewhat boring. EVE Online was another game I enjoyed but I prefer a fantasy setting to be honest. My two favourite MMO games of all time though were EverQuest and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

Does anyone know of any current or upcoming MMOs that may appeal to my taste at all? Ever since World of Warcraft came out I get the feeling that the MMO market has just destroyed itself with games that appeal to the masses rather than games that appeal to players who want more of a challenge. So yeah any advice is very much appreciated :). Thanks.

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    1. Lord of the Rings.

Scored very highly in last year's readers' poll - for what that's worth!

Although it launched after WoW its development had the same "roots" - EQ, UO, AC, DAoC etc. Unlike WoW however it was never "successful enough" to be "re-vamped" if that makes sense.

And - having been around so long - it has "everything" you would expect to find -= raids, instances, public dungeons, solo content, exploration, crafting, cosmetics .........except millions of players. Grind in abundance as well - whether you approach it as f2p or subscribe; either way you have to work to develop your character. Free to try.

2a. Skyrim - and Oblivion 

May seem odd but Oblivion was the first "mmorpg on your hard drive" - except it was single player of course. And Skyrim was its follow up which may work for you?

2b. Which leads onto Elder Scrolls Online.

I suspect that Elder Scrolls is not what you are after though - slick etc. but may not give you the EQ/Vanguard vibe.
  • Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited January 2016
    Many of us who feel the way you do are waiting on (and hoping for) Pantheon.

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/
  • ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    While waiting for pantheon id say Archeage. Atleast for me it gives something similiar like Vanguard.. If you get past the korean part.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFXi is the only other game like EQ1,VG was more like EQ2.

Everything now is about quest hubs and yellow markers over npc heads,so do not expect to find any non hand holding games with REAL discovery,every is  plain black and white in these games.

If you want to at least "HOPE" for something different COE is definitely that game with pvp and lots more.
    Anything else on the horizon,nope nothing at all,just more clones of clones but still no matter what it is quest hubs and end game and no REAL GAME.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    If all else fails you could always go back to Everquest.  If you are bored with Everquest then chances are you will get bored of games similar.  However, that game hasn't shut down yet and from what I understand they steadily release new expansions for it.  So why not play it?  That way you don't have to wait for someone's attempt to recapture that feeling of nostalgia in some new game.  If you wait for a certain game to come out in hopes that it will bring back all of those great memories or gameplay that you preferred and it fails to do so, then you risk a high chance of starting MMORPG doom and gloom threads here which we have more than enough of.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

rodingo said:
    If all else fails you could always go back to Everquest.  If you are bored with Everquest then chances are you will get bored of games similar.  However, that game hasn't shut down yet and from what I understand they steadily release new expansions for it.  So why not play it?  That way you don't have to wait for someone's attempt to recapture that feeling of nostalgia in some new game.  If you wait for a certain game to come out in hopes that it will bring back all of those great memories or gameplay that you preferred and it fails to do so, then you risk a high chance of starting MMORPG doom and gloom threads here which we have more than enough of.

Everquest now is nothing like it was.  Even WoW has gone from a near challenging experience (vanilla, TBC) to some homogenized mess of dps and manic button mashing.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    EQ1 has TLP servers now that are vaguely similar in atmosphere at least. The newest has decently slow exp and forced "1 char per pc" boxing so grouping is back. Otherwise its still pretty much the same. Coin having weight and naked corpse runs aren't "hardcore", just tedium. If you want a game that punishes you by taking up your time play dark souls or darkest dungeon.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Nizumzen said:

Does anyone know of any current or upcoming MMOs that may appeal to my taste at all?
    Maybe you need to be more specific about your tastes, aside from finding WoW boring. What parts of EQ and Vanguard would you like to see in another game?

Maybe you just liked these games because you were in a fantastic guild, and (almost) any game would really do, if you had a great community to play with?

• NizumzenNizumzen Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Nizumzen said:

Does anyone know of any current or upcoming MMOs that may appeal to my taste at all?
    Maybe you need to be more specific about your tastes, aside from finding WoW boring. What parts of EQ and Vanguard would you like to see in another game?

Maybe you just liked these games because you were in a fantastic guild, and (almost) any game would really do, if you had a great community to play with?
    That is a really good point. I was in a great guild in those games and I've found it hard to find something similar in other games. I still keep in contact with some of the members of that guild but I doubt I could persuade them to play a different game. Worth a try though!

I think the thing that annoyed me most about WoW was that the community felt a bit immature compared to the community in EQ and Vanguard. Harder games generally have a more close knit community in my experience.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    Damage99 said:
    Everquest now is nothing like it was.  Even WoW has gone from a near challenging experience (vanilla, TBC) to some homogenized mess of dps and manic button mashing.
    Uh, EQ is extremely challenging at the high-end right now. Compared to current raids we do, old VT raids we did were a joke.

The group game is easier maybe, you can use mercs, but probably 80% of EQ players right now are raiders.
    Kiyoris said:
    Damage99 said:
    Uh, EQ is extremely challenging at the high-end right now. Compared to current raids we do, old VT raids we did were a joke.

The group game is easier maybe, you can use mercs, but probably 80% of EQ players right now are raiders.

Well...

FOR ME, EQ is nothing like it was (back in 2000-2004ish).

Ugly revamped zones?  Out-of-combat regen?  Mercs?  Instant travel?

Again, all my opinion but no thanks.  Thats cool you like it but I'll stick to Project 1999.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited January 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    Damage99 said:

Therein lies so much of the difference between EQ then and EQ now. Challenging high end raid content was never a defining feature in EQ originally. That is what SOE shifted the focus of the game to.

EQ was not created to cater to raiders, it was created to provide various forms of social interaction and challenging cooperative play on a small to massive scale. In 2 sentences you described a fundamentally different game, hence the reason people who loved classic EverQuest probably haven't played it in over a decade. Its not that were "tired" of the game; its simply not the same game.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    You could try EQ2. And you can play the TLE servers for an old classic EQ2 experience.

I play both TLE and live and its a ton of fun. So much content, a nice challenge on TLE, kinda casual for live and Vanguard was pretty much based on EQ2 anyway.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Funny how many people are requesting this type of game. Sick of the action MMOs and want some meat when it comes to their classes. First company that delivers a quality MMO with old school thinking and modern mechanics and graphics. That company will take the cake. May even hurt DGC pocket book with EQ1 and EQ2 players flocking there. Maybe retooling EQN would be a good idea lol. Not saying this model is the end all be all that will be a WoW killer but there is a market here for at least one modern trinity MMO. 
  • KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    "EVE Online was another game I enjoyed but I prefer a fantasy setting to be honest"

Wurm Online

Its pretty much fantasy EVE or as close as your gonna get. Its the only game I can sink thousands of hour and still enjoy as a real sandbox mmo, nothing made in the past 5 years is gonna scratch that itch your looking for your only other bet is to hold out for pantheon.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited January 2016
    I came back to EVE in the summer of 2014, and never left.

You should as well, the challenge and reward are currently unparalleled in the MMORPG space.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Nanfoodle said:
    Funny how many people are requesting this type of game. Sick of the action MMOs and want some meat when it comes to their classes. First company that delivers a quality MMO with old school thinking and modern mechanics and graphics. That company will take the cake. May even hurt DGC pocket book with EQ1 and EQ2 players flocking there. Maybe retooling EQN would be a good idea lol. Not saying this model is the end all be all that will be a WoW killer but there is a market here for at least one modern trinity MMO. 
    Think you'll find that Brad & Co will get there long before DGC. Your faith is commendable but it's looking less and less lightly as the months pass by no matter what the company claim.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Market is too flooded,nobody is going to create a slow moving commitment game because it won't fly.Well somebody might but having a choice of 1-2 games will hardly give us a choice of finding a solid game.I just look at Eve online,people wanted a Space type game,no market competition but still it did not deliver even half the game i would expect to see.

So here are once again with a market that has little competition and nobody is moving on it,instead more shallow WOW type clones one after another.

Director applying for a job?
    1 Quest hubs ..check
    2 yellow markers over npc heads ...check
    3 no depth ...check
    4 all focus on end game instance dungeons ...check 
    Ok your hired .
    How about ideas ,i have some creative ideas...umm no we don't need that ,just give us a Wow clone and we will ship this puppy out in 1-2 years....with a cash shop of course.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Could always play pre-cu SWG. Do to the fact that these are in no way open and free forums ill leave it up to you to figure it out.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    Damage99 said:

Out-of-combat regen? 
    Out of combat regen was severely needed and the overwhelming majority of EQ players supported it.

I like trinity gameplay, I like massive raids, I like meaningful travel and death penalties...but I don't like just time wasters for the sake of time wasters.

Build a game where people have to spend 3 minutes meditating after every couple of mob and your game is dead after 1 week.

There will probably be games like EQ again, but not like EQ was way back when, where flagging for some zones and getting some mobs to spawn, bordered on masochism. That era is over.
    edited January 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Think you'll find that Brad & Co will get there long before DGC. Your faith is commendable but it's looking less and less lightly as the months pass by no matter what the company claim.
    I have no faith in Brad and Co as well. I hope they pull it off but with them trying to dig out of a hole with funding and the misuse of funds. Im not sure Pantheon will ever be what it could have been. If it does, I will be there with bells on. What I was talking about is a triple A MMO going old school, Pantheon will be niche in size at best at this point.
    edited January 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    Damage99 said:

Out-of-combat regen? 
    Out of combat regen was severely needed and the overwhelming majority of EQ players supported it.

I like trinity gameplay, I like massive raids, I like meaningful travel and death penalties...but I don't like just time wasters for the sake of time wasters.

Build a game where people have to spend 3 minutes meditating after every couple of mob and your game is dead after 1 week.

There will probably be games like EQ again, but not like EQ was way back when, where flagging for some zones and getting some mobs to spawn, bordered on masochism. That era is over.
    Thats what needs to happen though. Take what made EQ1 awesome and bring it to the future. 
  • SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Kiyoris said:

I can do without the 12 hour spawn camping for a fbss or endless hours of camping for JBoots to only get it nabbed by some random passer by. Better to do it like EQ2 did at first before the easy mode soloist changes came. But we do sorely need an old style mmorpg with newer graphics. Not the crap we have had rolling for a number of years based all around quick level to endgame content grind that never stops.

I miss the journey and and adventure and I think many others do as well.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    If you want to play something with an old school feel that doesn't lead you around by the hand you could try out Project Gorgon.  They are still working on it but the game is really well done for what it is.  Hell you can even play as a cow.  It does have a huge learning curve unless you do research before you play.  You even level up dying as a trait.  There are penalties for dying to some boss monsters to like having a large head, turning into a cow, etc....

http://projectgorgon.com/

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kiyoris said:
    Damage99 said:

Out-of-combat regen? 

@Kiyoris -- While I agree with the general interpretation that OOC Regen was needed, and even accepted by many of the current players, SOE implemented this feature with a hammer-like subtlety.  It went from almost 30 minutes (0 mana to full mana) to under 4 minutes.  They didn't try any incremental approach, they just zipped it from slow to super-fast without stopping to see if anything in between would work.

One side effect of the speedy ready-to-go EQ1 was that groups didn't have time between pulls, and the socializing part (talking) faded away.  Not only the social aspect suffered, the Healer class quickly figured out that they could solo just as well -- their mana-expensive DD spells weren't nearly as bad as before because they could recover that mana faster.  A quick 2-3 minute rest, and the cleric didn't need a group nearly as much as before.  When a number of clerics decided in favor of their new-found solo lifestyle, old-style trinity based groups suffered.

If only SOE had tried a slower OOC regen.  Not from 30 to 3 but from 30 to 20.  It would have been noticeably quicker without the unintentional game damaging new dynamics.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.