Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So let me get this straight...

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
There is no way to customize your character appearance? Meaning that I look exactly the same as every other witch in the game? (Apart from armor and weapon appearance?)

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Well, it's not a deep game. Just your run of the mill hack and slash.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2016
    Yup, almost just like Diablo or Marvel Heroes. All three of them are still good games.

If you don't like the Witch's appearance you can create almost exactly the same build using a Templar or Scion.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I like the witch's appearance, I just don't like all players looking the same.

It's 2016.  The game has also had 3 expansion/updates.  There's no excuse for not at least having some type of appearance customization.  It's shallow but that is a deal-breaker for me. I can't stand games where players all look the same.  Even basic crappy F2P mmos have some type of customization.
    Hopefully they will change that eventually, the game looks really interesting.
    Allerleirauh

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Unless you form group, you only meet other players in towns.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    You can barely see your character most of the time anyways.  MAYBE you can see your character's head depending on what helmet you wear, but even then most helmets don't show much.  Customization of the character itself seems kinda a waste of dev time considering how little of your character you usually get to see, I think.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Your nit picking is causing you to miss out on an excellent ARPG.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited January 2016
    These games generally tend to focus on customization via gear and skill selection and shit. I've never known an isometric ARPG to offer very much in the way of character customization otherwise. You barely see the starting look once you get some gear anyway, which is the main reason they don't focus on it. 

Still would've enjoyed them not gender-locking the classes, though. 
    Yea gender-locking is definitely something I thought was left behind a long time ago.

Is there at least a way to turn of helmets? And what can you customize through the shop?

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Let's see...

Free to play with no nagging... Check!
    Items on the store are almost entirely cosmetic... Check!
    The developers are some of the sharpest designers and coders in the industry across all genres... Check!

You find fault in an aspect of ARPGs that's pretty much true of all examples of type?

Here's some fun for you to take your mind of your worries...

Go read up on the entropy system and gem customization that makes nearly every build unique and allows evasion builds to be a viable build which is usually a fail build or ham-fistedly OP in other games.

When done, at least give respect to the Kiwi Krewe that masterminded this awesome game.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

I'm not saying anything negative about it's development or playstyle, I'm saying that as easy as it is to provide some type of character customization, there's no excuse for it in 2016.  Most older games of this type did the same thing yes, but few games these days have zero customization and gender-locked classes. 

I decided to give it a go, and so far it seems to be a very good game.  I just have a huge problem with every single character looking the same, and a huge issue with gender-locking.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Welcome to the Diablo 2 clone.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    dreamer05 said:
    I like the witch's appearance, I just don't like all players looking the same.

It's 2016.  The game has also had 3 expansion/updates.  There's no excuse for not at least having some type of appearance customization.  It's shallow but that is a deal-breaker for me. I can't stand games where players all look the same.  Even basic crappy F2P mmos have some type of customization.
    Hopefully they will change that eventually, the game looks really interesting.
    its 2016 means nothing if the game relesed years ago. But yeah i know what you mean. Its annoying that you cant customize your character model. It would be nice if they added more customization, but if i were GGG i would prioritize on offering more control options, like WASD or gamepad support, personally.

• lordskwidlordskwid Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I can't really think of a traditional ARPG that has what you are asking for. This game doesn't have character customization and never will because its competitors do not have this feature either. 

The year in which we are living has no bearing to the lack of this feature.
    Diablo 3 has no gender lock.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I think Diablo 3 surpassed the competitors back in 2013ish and is close to being as good as D2. Couple of expacs and I see it being up there. Plus D3 has more of an action style combat rather than click and stand.

MurderHerd

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    dreamer05 said:
    Diablo 3 is also a pay up-front, high-budget, incredibly polished game with slick / smooth and lightning fast combat.  Path of Exile is the opposite of all of those, but with a deep skill tree (if you don't follow any guides or remake your character into the current meta) whereby you can screw up a character and have to start over (which some people enjoy the idea of).  Though D3 is quickly catching up with their latest patches and the addition of the Cube mechanics and hundreds of new set synergies.  The main factor being that you have more direct control over what you want in PoE and don't need to rely as much on items to drop (speaking of the talent tree; still have to find skill gems and some items to make builds work).

For what it is, PoE is a great game with a good cash shop.  Though differing genders is a lot more expensive in terms of art assets.  If they had a Blizzard budget, I've no doubt the game would be just as polished.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I can't believe it's 2016 and some people still don't realize that different people want different things in their games! XD It shouldn't be considered unusual in an RPG to care about your characters gender or appearance. Totally with you OP.
    As a developer you can choose to not do some things, you pretty much have to, but every decision like that will potentially lose you customers.

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I don't think your focus of ARPG is what ARPG focuses on. Maybe another time.

On the side note, I am so sick that in fallout 4 the guy looks almost like the guy again.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Yeah, characters are the same for everyone.  However Path of Exile has really good story, writing, lore, and voice acting.  The setting puts a lot of supposedly more complex MMOs to shame.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

I went ahead and gave it a go.  The passive tree is very impressive.  I'm sure people have a field day with creating the perfect meta, but as usual I'll just ignore those people and do my own thing. 
    And people can be as sarcastic as they want, but I don't want to play a male character, so that leaves me with two options, so yes gender-locking can be a consideration for a lot of people.  Luckily the witch is right up my alley.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    edited February 2016
    dreamer05 said:
    I went ahead and gave it a go.  The passive tree is very impressive.  I'm sure people have a field day with creating the perfect meta, but as usual I'll just ignore those people and do my own thing. 
    And people can be as sarcastic as they want, but I don't want to play a male character, so that leaves me with two options, so yes gender-locking can be a consideration for a lot of people.  Luckily the witch is right up my alley.
    After you beat normal mode you will gain access to a 7th class. The Scion which is also female. She is in the middle of the passive tree and is considered more complicated to build correctly. Path of Exile is the only game I have played in the last three years. Only game that doesnt treat you like a child, hold your hand or anything. Its a difficult game where you will die, but gives you total freedom to try new things. Its an impressive accomplishment in this game of cookie cutter punchout bullcrap MMO's.

Hit me up in game if you want help getting started, I have put way more time into PoE then I'm willing to admit.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/TheAshmaker
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    dreamer05 said:
    Diablo 3 is also a pay up-front, high-budget, incredibly polished game with slick / smooth and lightning fast combat.  Path of Exile is the opposite of all of those, but with a deep skill tree (if you don't follow any guides or remake your character into the current meta) whereby you can screw up a character and have to start over (which some people enjoy the idea of).  Though D3 is quickly catching up with their latest patches and the addition of the Cube mechanics and hundreds of new set synergies.  The main factor being that you have more direct control over what you want in PoE and don't need to rely as much on items to drop (speaking of the talent tree; still have to find skill gems and some items to make builds work).

For what it is, PoE is a great game with a good cash shop.  Though differing genders is a lot more expensive in terms of art assets.  If they had a Blizzard budget, I've no doubt the game would be just as polished.
    People will choose the meta because the game doesn't allow easy respecs, which turns the over-complicated skill map from an advantage (over other games) into a deterrent for those people.

It's why I don't play the game.

I like to level up one of each class and change specs whenever I want a change of pace.  I don't want 20+ characters because I wanted to try different specs or builds.  That's a massive waste of time.

Respect my time.

But even then, Diablo III is about 500% more polished than this game will ever be.  There is no comparison, and despite Diablo having better graphics (IMHO), it actually performs quite a bit better on my Windows Notebook than PoE.  Diablo is also available for Mac, so +1 to Blizzard for that.