Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so is this game worth getting?

LogiLogi Member UncommonPosts: 48
Have been looking at this game for awhile now, and thought about getting it since it is now on sale.  Currently playing SWTOR and completely bored with it. From lurking in the forums it seems that grouping isn't really supported by the game. What pros have made you stay , and if you no longer play, what cons made you leave? Thanks for the input.

Comments

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I got this on sale. I think it's worth the 24 dollars i dont know about $60 though...
  • guizicaguizica Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited April 2017
    irrelevant
    Post edited by guizica on
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    it is NOT skyrim online, but still quite good.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YexaCYexaC Member UncommonPosts: 7
    My question is late game to top parse DPS for example does it require a proper complex rotation and knowing skill priorities or is it simply refreshing 1-2 DoTs or Stored Damage skills then spamming? I've only played a small amount and the game feels very simple combat wise, no surprise though as it's designed for console.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited January 2016
    I found it to be a nice distraction from SWTOR for a while, but I never played ESO hardcore.
    IMO it's worth it though.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Logi said:
    Have been looking at this game for awhile now, and thought about getting it since it is now on sale.  Currently playing SWTOR and completely bored with it. From lurking in the forums it seems that grouping isn't really supported by the game. What pros have made you stay , and if you no longer play, what cons made you leave? Thanks for the input.

Assuming e.g the graphic style soesn't turn you off or you hate fantasy etc. then the game will deliver a solid chunk of gameplay at whatever price you pay. In the same way say that Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2 etc does. Does it offer value for the cost? With no sub needed to play probably - mileage varies of course, if you buy it when its on sale you are less likely to be disappointed.

Is it just solo? Let me answer with a question: "Is SWTOR just about solo play?" As it does campaigns it offers more reasons for grouping than SWTOR but I think what you are picking up on is that most people in most games play solo.

Which leads on to your final questions.

Why do people leave? Probably because they have "finished" all the solo content (or at least all they care to do). Same deal as with Withcher, Dark Souls etc. And some ccome back for the DLC. No sub needed so people don't "leave" in the sense of unsubscribing.

Why do people stay? Probably because they have discovered the group part, the campaigns and so forth. Until they have had enough of course - same deal as with you and SWTOR maybe.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Logi said:
    You can group just fine in ESO, its a great game. For example you can (basically have to) group to do dungeons, group to go questing, group to kill a world boss, group to play pvp.... most of my time in ESO I am in a group!

Pros: Great combat, great story/quests, good dungeons, great character customization, amazing atmosphere, sense of exploration, great take on pvp.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Dark Brotherhood is coming either Q1 or 2 and they say it will have a fix to the grouping tool. I won't hold my breath because this is the 3rd fix going in for the tool.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Brenics said:
    Dark Brotherhood is coming either Q1 or 2 and they say it will have a fix to the grouping tool. I won't hold my breath because this is the 3rd fix going in for the tool.
    It's Thieves Guild in Q1 and Dark Brotherhood in Q2 according to Firor on last Friday's ESO Live.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Logi said:
    In game types ESO is probably the closest thing to a Fantasy SWTOR you're going to find. Does that mean its a good game for you, I don't know but that's the best advice I can give you so you can make your own decision on that question.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited January 2016
    I think it is worth it on sale.  I am really really disappointed they decided to give up on the promised PvP guards vs thieves update.  I really thought that was going to be amazing.

As for the rest of the game, sometimes when playing it I feel like I am playing the future of MMORPGs - first person view, everything incredibly detailed, crosshair style combat, loads of lore, every NPC has voice overs, deep rich questing, the megaserver is done exceptionally well, the skill system rewards you for using what you want, the best use of phasing in any MMO, excellent dungeon delving, public dungeons, events, enormous scale 3 way pvp, no sub fee, and an incredibly large amount of solo content.

Other times I just can't stand it - the engine does not perform nearly as well as it should, there is an ever present fog, terrible draw distance, you follow a linear main quest through each zone, researching crafting/levelling your mount is an absolute chore, the combat feels shallow, I don't feel like grinding through veteran ranks, cadwell's silver and gold are huge chunks of the game that are completely lore breaking, the game is solo-centric, the PvP is laggy and uninteresting, every zone is enclosed with walls/mountains, the anchor events are pointless and ultra repetitive, the skill system feels like just another long grind, and the quests seem dull.

When I am into the game, it is amazing.  I remember walking into a massive RP event just outside Stormhold and realizing that this was exactly what I imagined an Elder Scrolls MMO could be.  Another time I remember the outpost I was running to emerging out of the fog 30 meters ahead of me, completely destroying any sense of immersion I had.  Then there was the time a stranger and I cleared the public dungeon with the crows, we helped each other all the way through without saying a word and it was excellent.  Then another time Riften was filled with nothing but low fps and black shadow figures because the crappy engine was struggling to load players.  The game does some things exceptionally well, but it is nowhere near a perfect experience.

I recommend it to all my friends still, and I recommend it to you, too.  I would try to pick it up on sale, though.  The content isn't going anywhere, it is not a 'must play' game, the megaserver should keep everything populated, and the longer you wait the more bugs they fix.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    IMO it is, it's my favorite MMO right now. but it's not perfect and not for everyone so these opinions vary.

people that don't like questing and doing single player content might not think it's worth it, for example.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Baitness said:
    I think it is worth it on sale.  I am really really disappointed they decided to give up on the promised PvP guards vs thieves update.  I really thought that was going to be amazing.

Did they "give up" on it or is it just not ready yet?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I left after 10 months and will likely never return. I bought the game for the AvA which turned out to he a total disaster. Depends what you are looking for.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Velocinox said:
    Brenics said:
    It's Thieves Guild in Q1 and Dark Brotherhood in Q2 according to Firor on last Friday's ESO Live.
    My mistake, thx for the fix.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited January 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Baitness said:

I thought I read that they had cancelled plans for it, but I am having trouble finding that now so I may be wrong.  It does say in the wiki that all plans for the pvp aspect have been scrapped http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Justice but I am struggling to find other sources.

I really do hope I am wrong, because it would lead to some of the most entertaining gameplay around and make ESO an absolute must buy.

Also, in good news, they are talking about making performance improvements around the thieves guild dlc.

Edit: I realized I left something out of my pros/cons list.  If you get ESO on console, my understanding is that it has proximity based voice chat.  I really really really wish they would add this to the PC version.  The community has been very good in my limited experience, and I think they will use it appropriately.  On the other hand, adding it may lure the trolls in.  On the third hand, how awesome would it be to have someone following you around playing appropriate music?  Bossfight?  EYE OF THE TIGER.  Galloping to next quest?  RAAWWWWHIIIIIDE.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sovrath said:
    Baitness said:
    Regarding the "Bounty Hunters vs. Thieves" aspect according to Matt Frior they decided that the pros of introducing it were out weighed by the cons - worried about griefing basically.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    It needs more classes, not more skill lines. It needs to remove the Veteran Ranks. It needs to balance classes and equalize PvP at some point in an Arena or something.

Other than that it's a great game.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    edited January 2016
    It's free so that's a plus. I nabbed it while it was on sale. It's a good game not something I play everyday though.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    it is boring version of skyrim with bad visuals and option to meet 20ish a$$hats wandering around
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    JDis25 said:
    It needs more classes, not more skill lines. It needs to remove the Veteran Ranks. It needs to balance classes and equalize PvP at some point in an Arena or something.

Other than that it's a great game.
    all classes are in this game are skill lines, three skill lines each to be specific. this game shouldn't even have classes IMO
  • SammybonesSammybones Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Logi said:
    The graphics are probably some of the best out there mmo wise. If you get this game, and you arent completely satisfied with the graphics I recomend that you download the mod ESO graphics enhancer, and SweetFX/Reshade. It removes the games fog, makes textures sharper, heck theres a mod to make your game run at 4k if you wish to download that mod aswell. It also adds more vibrant coloring, and even better lighting to the world. Even though the graphics are great already this upgrade will make you think wow the graphics really can get even better. Heres link to download the mod for better graphics/colors/lighting etc. if you ever plan on getting the game. I promise if you get the mod with the game youlle feel even more immersed aswell as never wanting to go back to base games graphics even though its amazing already!

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/eso-launcher-graphics-enhancer-2/