Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer Q&A January 18th 4pm PST/Midnight UTC

VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79

Time for another Q&A, this time it is this afternoon (4pm PST), tonight (Middnight UTC), tomorrow morning (11am 19th AEDT)... Darn timezones make catchy titles so difficult. However, get your questions in soon. I am sure there are things you are wondering.

What: Live Streamed Q&A by Jeremy 'Caspian' Walsh lead on Chronicles of Elyria.
Where: DM21_Gaming youtube (https://gaming.youtube.com/c/DM21Gaming/live)
When: Monday, January 11th at 4pm PST / 7pm EST / Midnight GMT

Questions can be submitted in advance here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/1875-January-18th-QA-Stream--Ask-Questions-Here

Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.

Comments

• VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    The video is now up for those waiting to see the answers.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    So "How many did we look at" ?
    Ahhhhhh  ummmmm  more than 1 

Thank you for that contribution !!

Roflmao

I'll be straight up frank,the reason pvp always fails is because nothing is fair or even becausae of gear/weapons.However RPG gamer's in general love to attain nice gear with stats.They obviously have to make combat skill based rather than gear based because of pvp but that removes one of the most fun aspects of a rpg which is gear/items.

I get the feeling to support a lower budget game they are doing similar to other games removing the npc mobs,removing gear sets ,basically all or most PVE.

I am still so lost as to the actual direction of this game,all these questions were the very minute fine detail questions.I am more interested in the big picture.

I understand staying alive be it pvp or food/drink and i understand family and prestige,but what is the purpose/direction of it all.Is it basically just trying to stay alive living in a world,are there any actual mobs in this game or just real players?

My concerns are because in rpg's i do not care about pvp at all,so will this game offer me enough PVE to find interest in the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I guess the important questions were asked?

I guess I missed it there since I don't really follow this so I will asked them here.

How big is your staff?

How many developers do you expect to hire?

Where is your office located?

Do you have any animations done?

Do you have morph targets done?

Do you have any code done at all?

As a corporation have you released any annual financial statement?

You state you have put large sums of money into this already so how much work is done toward a functional engine or some sort of game play demonstration?

I guess these should be asked but seem to be over looked.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    With regards 'PvE', in the Q&A they do talk about mobs such as viscous animals, and in past Q&As they have mentioned Deamons. NPCs are also spoken about as being a part of the game, in this Q&A it mainly at the same time they are talking about offline player chracters being having the same scripting options and marriage to them.

I think the goal is a lot more player made then. There are so many different roles you can take on in the game and they your goals completely change.

My goal as a farmer is going to be to have a great farmsted, be known in town as the place to get certain items, have that local fame. However, someone elses goal as an arena champion might be to become the best in the land, then take over the arean for themselves and run it as a buisness into their old age putting on great fights. Maybe you want to be the explorer that is known for having the best maps, or fidning the most interesting relics. Perhaps you want to go as dark as dark can be and running your own cult focusing on ritualistic murders! Perhaps you are a great champion and you are trying to battle the entities that are possing a threat to your Kingdom. Then of course you can pick a completely different goal in your next life!

The big picture is there is a great big world they are building here, with a lot of personal stories and personal goals. That is my favourite thing about the game to be honest, the fact we are not all the 'hero' that we can all really contribute to the world by doing the things we enjoy.
    Soooooooo....

It is actually another form of that game ummm Second Life and all those spin offs with nicer graphics and more depth?

I am concerned as always because this is a long term commitment game,so i need lots of stuff to do or i will get bored.Yes creating a plot with a farm sounds great but then what do i do,i am just so used to and really enjoy  always the combat in games.
    I am not one to dwell much on anything outside of combat other than crafting or a skill trade.Since i don't like pvp in a rpg that is why i need lots of PVE however it sounds like there is no meaningful gear because it would ruin pvp so it really limits what fun i will get out of the game because then it parlays back to WHY am i PVE'ing and will it even be good enough combat to enjoy it.

Yes there are some mobs but a couple vicious animals here,the odd daemon there is hardly going to generate any PVE.It seems like the whole topic of PVE has been purposely avoided.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

ArChWind, I can answer some of your questions based on what the developers have said in conversation with the community. They have an IRC channel where community members can get together and chat and you will often find developers popping in to share news, or what they are doing, or generally chatting away. So the majority of my answers come from there.

How big is your staff? I think they are currently around 11, though they are recruiting at the moment to expand that team. I know they are in talk with animators, environmental artists and story developers, though I am not sure what other roles they are looking for right now.

How many developers do you expect to hire? Final numbers I can't help with. I think a lot of that is going to depend on the amount of funding they get through the KickStarter. Judgng what the final numbers are with out know what your funding is might be a bit premature as the two have to fit together. I am sure they have aims but they can only work with what they get.

Where is your office located? They are in a small office currently, but moving to a new larger space in February. Both of which are in Washington.

Do you have any animations done? Yes they do. The animator did not join the team until later though which is why we have not seen public videos yet, however they have released sneak peaks to the community so there are many of us that can vouch for that.

Do you have morph targets done? I don't know what that means! Sorry, hopefully someone who has a vague idea about these things can answer that one.

Do you have any code done at all? Yes they do.

As a corporation have you released any annual financial statement? That I do not know.

You state you have put large sums of money into this already so how much work is done toward a functional engine or some sort of game play demonstration? I think the story engine has been in development for a long time, and is being used in conjunction with Unreal 4. The current aim for game play is a video towards the end of next months and then PAX East in April they are hoping to give people a hands on experience of the world.

---

Wizardly, what in particular did you want to know about PvE? Just a reassurance it is there, it is meaningful, and something you can play the game for? Perhasp we can get it asked in the next Q&A.

I am not sure I agree that they have avoided discussing PvE at all. They have spoken a lot about the 10 year story, and it’s pivotal role in the game. That is a continuously evolving story that gives you constant new challenges to face. They have spoken about there being combat focused characters, and those that really engage with that story, or other more local stories about threats facing smaller areas.

I will agree they have not said exactly what the threats are yet, that is true. In part I think that is because ruining the story before you actually get to experience it is a very bad idea. Though also they are waiting until they have appointed a Story Director to bring in the lore behind those stories. They have made their own lore but do not want to release it to give a Story Director as much freedom as possible to do their own thing and bring the world more to life.

Will there be similar gear progression to other MMOs? I do not think so. I think gear is going to be a much smaller focus. Important, yes. Something you are going to want, certainly. But something you are going to get from every mob, no.

Yes basically i like to be reassured there is going to be a PVE game outside of STORY.That is why i mentioned before Tales in the Desert,that is what they do,they create a story that lasts 6 months to a year but really players don't do a whole lot in that game and why nobody is playing it.

I am not really interested in gear so much dropping from mobs but i would like to feel gear has meaning beyond just looking dapper lol.I would be totally happy if we have to craft all gear.

What i have always wanted and no game is doing it is the ability to hold onto that "dapper" looking gear and just upgrade it in various ways.However i do understand that going for a realistic modern type game is not suppose to be a Fantasy type game where we have magic and staves and magical gear.I guess to be honest with myself i much prefer Fantasy over realism when comes to gear and abilities but i still want plausible realism in any game i play.

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Wizardry said:
    Soooooooo....

It is actually another form of that game ummm Second Life and all those spin offs with nicer graphics and more depth?
    The Magic 8 Ball says "Signs point to yes".