Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No keymapping in BDO?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
I've heard you can't change keys how you wish such as you are locked using WASD, is that true?

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Wouldn't be surprising.  Many Asian games are like that.  Something that I will not tolerate in any game.  If I can't map it, I don't play it.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    I remember Lineage was like this...was stuck in a isometric view with 3D models and could not remap the keys at all. Left immediately...

I'd like to know if this is true for BDO? Can someone playing it confirm?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I spotted a forum entry that shows a key binding interface window:
    http://www.blackdeserttome.com/wiki/Game-Options
    It looks like it was posted this year. I'm left-handed. No remap - no dice.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2016

This must be old.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Maurgrim said:
    I've heard you can't change keys how you wish such as you are locked using WASD, is that true?
    I changed my keymapping so i could use my Razer Tartarus and Naga in cb1. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    edited January 2016
    Well I want to use arrow keys for movement.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    I found it difficult to rebind some of my keys like "Z", "X", and "C".  But you do have some limited options.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619
    Maurgrim said:
    Keymappins is indeed possible. Unfortunately, while the game will allow you to use arrow keys for movement if you wish, but it would be a major mistake. 

Combat in this game is combo based...meaning multiple key presses. Movement + some other key combination will be how you use your skills. Its not hotbar presses, and you cant just click abilities with your mouse. You will also need access to keys for potion use and other consumables. 

In short, yes you can remap your key bindings, but if you do, you will die...alot. And arrow keys are about the worst possible way to move in this and many other MMOs. If you havent already tried it, I suggest learning to use WASD, it will greatly improve the way you play all MMOs.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    edited January 2016
    aslan132 said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Keymappins is indeed possible. Unfortunately, while the game will allow you to use arrow keys for movement if you wish, but it would be a major mistake. 

Combat in this game is combo based...meaning multiple key presses. Movement + some other key combination will be how you use your skills. Its not hotbar presses, and you cant just click abilities with your mouse. You will also need access to keys for potion use and other consumables. 

In short, yes you can remap your key bindings, but if you do, you will die...alot. And arrow keys are about the worst possible way to move in this and many other MMOs. If you havent already tried it, I suggest learning to use WASD, it will greatly improve the way you play all MMOs.
    Most games I can pretty much rewamp all the keyes on the keyboard, so I use arrow keys for movements, abilites i map them to delete,end,PgDn,insert,Home,PgUp,right shift,right ctrl and possible more in that general area on the keyboard if needed.

It works pretty good for me.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I hope this isn't too off topic, but how are the gamepad controls? Has anyone tried playing it with a 360/XBO pad?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nope WASD is just awful for anyone that is not a pro typer.
    I also use Arrows or at worst i will keymap to the keypad.

I guess they better make use of  hotbars and clicks or lose the manual targeting because that becomes more about comfortable setup than skill.
    I am the same as others,if i can't keymap ,i don't play it.
    I enjoyed FFXI because tab auto target is comfortable for me,it allowed me to use macros to setup just the way i wanted.For movement i used the keypad and all relevant needs were also on the keypad.

For those that don't understand it,WASD is nothing but problems,for non typer's we hit the wrong keys all the time VERY uncomfortable gaming like that.Using the Arrows is pretty much impossible to hit the wrong keys and assigning mapped keys to Rcntrl and keypad 0/1 makes it easy as well when playing fps games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    You can change keys, but due to combat requiring you use directional movement along with others keys, WASD works best or whatever set of 4 keys to replace them.

Gamepads (Tartarus) and what not help a lot for those that don't like WASD on a keyboard.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Wizardry said:
    Nope WASD is just awful for anyone that is not a pro typer.
    I also use Arrows or at worst i will keymap to the keypad.

I guess they better make use of  hotbars and clicks or lose the manual targeting because that becomes more about comfortable setup than skill.
    I am the same as others,if i can't keymap ,i don't play it.
    I enjoyed FFXI because tab auto target is comfortable for me,it allowed me to use macros to setup just the way i wanted.For movement i used the keypad and all relevant needs were also on the keypad.

For those that don't understand it,WASD is nothing but problems,for non typer's we hit the wrong keys all the time VERY uncomfortable gaming like that.Using the Arrows is pretty much impossible to hit the wrong keys and assigning mapped keys to Rcntrl and keypad 0/1 makes it easy as well when playing fps games.
    Clearly BDO is not aimed at folks like yourself as you have to be actively engaged in combat. No auto mode.

The skills you can put on your bar receive a large penalty if you click them instead of using the appropriate combo with WASD.
  • ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Just to clear this up.. you can have up to 20 custom "quick slot" items on the screen. Each item can have skills or consumables attached to them and can be rebound directly instead of having to go to the menu. These items essentially replace the "standard" mmo hotbar and allow you to place them anywhere on the screen. I find this system to be far superior to other MMOs.