Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Archeage population ever recover now, that bots, gold sellers and most of hackers are gone?

124»

Comments

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited January 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Once games make the mistake of driving players away they 99.9% of the time do not recover ...FFXIV is the exception.. .1%
    I think another game would be able to do it if they put the effort SE did into a re-release. My rough understanding of what they did was: New engine (maybe just updated? The original engine was from FFXIII), world changed from open to zoned to help with stability, whole game of new quests and encounters.

I have always wanted to play AA, but the labor and p2w aspects keep me from getting too interested. My friends that played all quickly quit. If there was a re-release with some of those things overhauled, I bet we would all be on board.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Nope the game is to P2W.  Some might call it P2A (Advance) But when you know a few people who had Epic gear which is just 2 levels below Mythic which is the best gear and its because they spend well over $10,000 its P2W.  People say, yea well if you spend time and effort over the course of months to get there you will get to where he is at.  All the while players who spend to the hilt have a greater advantage over you in everything.  So sorry people its P2W, smart people know this and will stay away.  This game should have been Sub Only and allow skill to play the role.  Even if you dont have a lot of time your Social skills can play a great role in everything but no we have to spend money to get what we want today.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Baitness said:
    Wizardry said:
    Once games make the mistake of driving players away they 99.9% of the time do not recover ...FFXIV is the exception.. .1%
    I think another game would be able to do it if they put the effort SE did into a re-release. My rough understanding of what they did was: New engine (maybe just updated? The original engine was from FFXIII), world changed from open to zoned to help with stability, whole game of new quests and encounters.

I have always wanted to play AA, but the labor and p2w aspects keep me from getting too interested. My friends that played all quickly quit. If there was a re-release with some of those things overhauled, I bet we would all be on board.
    ^Pretty much. Other than that, it usually goes the way Wizardry said.
    Another exception is if you're dealing with sub only games, then a F2P move can drive the numbers back up, since a lot of people tend to return for those.

AA has done neither of those things though, with it being F2P from the start and all... so I don't see lost players returning in great numbers.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I like how everyone seems to blame the games failure all on the bots and gold sellers. What about the greed of the players and the land grab mess. And the fact it was doomed from the start with its open world gankfest.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Hariken said:
    I like how everyone seems to blame the games failure all on the bots and gold sellers. What about the greed of the players and the land grab mess. And the fact it was doomed from the start with its open world gankfest.
    Open world housing and or open w pvp is what made one of the top mmorpgs up to date, but implementation of open world housing in Archeage was poor, there were no limits to how many properties you could have since if you pay taxes.
    One single housing area was in no rare occasions owned by singular person. Land was very scarce which wasnt a good solution.  And players playing the game were aimed to be filthy rich, i know couse ppl sold plots worth hundreds of $$$ of gold ingame just controlling certain plots of land.
    If it wasnt as scarce, no one would give a crap.

Open world pvp would be fun if it wasnt so damn impossible to bead p2w with grind later on.
  • Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    This game is on life support
  • Eno777Eno777 Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited January 2016
    Krimzin said:
    If Black Desert comes to the US this year, it may very will put the nail in AAs coffin. If not, then AA may have a chance to recover.

@krizmen ; I think it's safe to say now that Black Desert won't even put a dent in Archeage.
    The only good thing about BD is character creation. It's worse than AA in every way. More grinding, no dungeons, you summon your boss to fight yourself;
    In Black Desert PvP is DEAD because of penalties (karma) so Black Desert is mostly a SOLO game, not even an online game .... and the P2W is strong in this one because combat is gear based!

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/32bzjj/black_desert_online_went_in_very_wrong_direction/
    We know this already from all the other regions where Black Desert is live.

Black Desert should be called Black Lingerie.

Because that's the only nice thing about it.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Eno777 said:
    Krimzin said:
    If Black Desert comes to the US this year, it may very will put the nail in AAs coffin. If not, then AA may have a chance to recover.

@krizmen ; I think it's safe to say now that Black Desert won't even put a dent in Archeage.
    The only good thing about BD is character creation. It's worse than AA in every way. More grinding, no dungeons, you summon your boss to fight yourself;
    In Black Desert PvP is DEAD because of penalties (karma) so Black Desert is mostly a SOLO game, not even an online game .... and the P2W is strong in this one because combat is gear based!

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/32bzjj/black_desert_online_went_in_very_wrong_direction/
    We know this already from all the other regions where Black Desert is live.

Black Desert should be called Black Lingerie.

Because that's the only nice thing about it.

IDK why everyone fails to see that black desert hasn't even launched yet.  BD won't put a dent in archeage because it has already been demolished.  Dents are no longer recognized.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    bentrim said:
    Once again we see that a PVP based game WILL NOT WORK in an MMORPG. You simply do NOT have the numbers, and the PVE players WILL NOT PLAY.
    exactly my words some years ago when the game started :proud: 
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    the pvp in AA is actually very well setup

The problem with AA and always will be if they dont whipe:

- economy is totally destroyed by gold sellers bots and so forth
    - heavy p2w
    - extreme RNG

these are the top problems with AA

• 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Such a wonderful game.  I never understood the hate.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Thread necro alert !!

But seeing as the OP was made in August 2015, I'd guess the question that was asked can be answered conclusively by now: "No, it will never recover"
    209vaughn said:
    Most people dont hate the game, they hate Trion, the publisher, they just project it onto the game since its made p2w ,servers unstable, customer support was non-existant, and censorship on forums fashistic.

The game IS great, it would Flourish under another publisher with B2P model and cosmetic-only cash shop.

Simple as that.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    edited June 2016
    well the good old "if" is great for any game but will probably never happen, since despite the qq from players they must of made a decent profit with the way things are  now and are  just doing what they must to keep people paying $$$ with as little effort as posable to maintain decent margins.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Bots quit, they weren't kicked out by Trion.
    With no players, gold sellers have no customers so there is no point for them to stay.

And by the way I left because of their Cash Shop not the bots.
    Their Cash Shop did more damage to the game than anything else.

I could only return if there were no P2W CS and on a fresh Server.
    As far as I am concerned the game is dead.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    the game wanst doomed because of bots, goldsellers and hacks. It was doomed because the mindnumbing pve experience to 50 or other garbage tier grind events. its fun when you do it 1 or 2 times those pirate things, but its boring and uninspriing after a few times. People left cause AA isnt a good MMO to beginn with. Lets not talk about the p2w items and the 200 dollar alpha package.
    exile01 said:
    the game wanst doomed because of bots, goldsellers and hacks. It was doomed because the mindnumbing pve experience to 50 or other garbage tier grind events. its fun when you do it 1 or 2 times those pirate things, but its boring and uninspriing after a few times. People left cause AA isnt a good MMO to beginn with. Lets not talk about the p2w items and the 200 dollar alpha package.
    Rarely which game has the amount of player-created content like AA had, wild farms, pirating, invading, politics and much more where players are the content.
    The Cash shop p2w ,packs, and the grind in pve , is true tho.But that is also more related to publisher, if they released content more often people wouldnt have to grind that much..
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    So many of these comments im reading are from people who have a. no idea about game mechanics in AA and b. no idea what the current state of the game is overall.

The game is NOT on life support. The P2W dynamic has been SEVERELY limited. The amount of content in the game that is PVE and not affected in anyway by PVP is almost limitless ( especially as compared to the garbage games released currently). 

The new account/new server for 3.0 is actually going to be a huge do-over for Trion and if they continue to keep doing what they have been doing since 2.5 ( 1. release content very quickly after Korean releases and 2. change core gameplay mechanics in order to cater to Western players) AA will have more and more players coming back to it.

The simple fact is, AA is about the ONLY game out there that allows people to play the game exactly how they want to. If you want to run the economy and be a farmer, you can. If you want to credit card warrior and level up your swipe skill for limited 1v1 arenas, you can. If you want to pvp in a controlled gear independant environment that relies only on skill, you can. If you want to dungeon run and collect awesome loot sets and avoid crafting, you can. If you want to be a fisherman/ high seas salvaging company, you can. If you want to be a pirate or lead your own player nation, control and tax lands, build/seige castles.....you can. 

Of the above activities, the only one that requires Swiping and promotes the P2W lifestyle is the 1v1 unregulated arena. If Trion didnt have such a horrible reputation and such a fucked up track record for handling shit, AA would honestly be one of the most popular MMO's today. Its a shame what has happened, but the game has been getting better and better over the past few years.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    So many of these comments im reading are from people who have a. no idea about game mechanics in AA and b. no idea what the current state of the game is overall.
    Maybe that's because the thread is a year old and even the last post is one and a half months old.

But hey even if you had to necro - good thing you came here and stomped with your foot to let everyone know that AA is fine.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Inserts random 'never forgive, never forget'  comment. Hope I can be one of the cool kids now.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    209vaughn said:

Thats the thing, we all love the game and we are pretty bitter about the game mechanics that came in place after the Alpha ended.

The problematic mechanics are described above, p2w and RNG.
    Would they fix those basic core problems, we'd really had a total new game.
    Sadly all trust is gone down the sewer, together with all money we threw after them.

The game is NOT on life support. The P2W dynamic has been SEVERELY limited. The amount of content in the game that is PVE and not affected in anyway by PVP is almost limitless ( especially as compared to the garbage games released currently). 

The new account/new server for 3.0 is actually going to be a huge do-over for Trion and if they continue to keep doing what they have been doing since 2.5 ( 1. release content very quickly after Korean releases and 2. change core gameplay mechanics in order to cater to Western players) AA will have more and more players coming back to it.

The simple fact is, AA is about the ONLY game out there that allows people to play the game exactly how they want to. If you want to run the economy and be a farmer, you can. If you want to credit card warrior and level up your swipe skill for limited 1v1 arenas, you can. If you want to pvp in a controlled gear independant environment that relies only on skill, you can. If you want to dungeon run and collect awesome loot sets and avoid crafting, you can. If you want to be a fisherman/ high seas salvaging company, you can. If you want to be a pirate or lead your own player nation, control and tax lands, build/seige castles.....you can. 

Of the above activities, the only one that requires Swiping and promotes the P2W lifestyle is the 1v1 unregulated arena. If Trion didnt have such a horrible reputation and such a fucked up track record for handling shit, AA would honestly be one of the most popular MMO's today. Its a shame what has happened, but the game has been getting better and better over the past few years.
    Hi fellow Archeage enthusiast :)

Many love this game, i am one of them.Almost everything you said is great.
    But few of the things you mention are still out of order.
    Id like to shed my and few of my guildmates and friends light on it.

>The amount of content in the game that is PVE and not affected in anyway by PVP is almost limitless.

Well, this is only true if you "Live" in peace zones ,and never venture outside of them ,which is veeeeeeery unlikely, considering most of the time you need want to do events on the sea, you want to explore, travel, hell you should do dailies in auroria, and visit it sometimes(and most of the pvp is done here), and most of all, you should be usefull for your guild on guild runs, for boss runs, for anything reasonable and interesting.
    And people still say, if you do not have 5-6k Gear score in this game, you are trash ,and not only that but you can not fully enjoy it.

Now all of THIS could be archieved if you DO have PVP gear, that you CAN now earn by doing what you said ,living in peace zones ,farming for few months, crafting and socketing that gear ,and stepping up your game.

Now thats a solution for pvp competetivness in a p2w game.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sure it can , would recover overnite , If they open a couple Sub only servers and remove the Cash-shop ....I would think they could easily open 3 and fill them in 24 hours
    edited November 2016
    Well fresh servers are almost here now as well, think they will fill up also ,and stay up healthy for at least a couple of months, as to longetivity, we will see.