Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From a Dev - "An announcement will be made in January as to the official Kickstarter date."

ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 

Comments

• MACROSSBRMACROSSBR Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Nice, my friend code is BD9C8A

pls help me: /

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Help me MACROSSBR ! 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    BTW that Kickstarter quote can be found here.

W...aaagh?
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited December 2015
    Good and bad.

I'm really getting tired of paid early access. If you can't afford to put your own money into creating a game, then don't make it, because it means you don't have any faith in the game lol.

On the other hand, it's a smart thing to do for a company, that's like having random people give you money to buy lottery tickets.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • FenrialFenrial Member UncommonPosts: 8
    For those stuck behind a workfilter, and/or those from the future who've just found this thread on google (or whatever you people use nowadays.)
    Caspian said:
    An announcement will be made in January as to the official Kickstarter date.

Caspian said:

We would have loved to be able to begin our Kickstarter in December, it just wasn't possible.

We feel very strongly that before asking for crowdfunding, we need to have spent as much of our own money as possible. As well, we feel equally strong that we shouldn't ask people for crowdfunding until we've got videos showing what the gameplay and user experience will be like.

We were just able to liquidate some of our assets and have a large injection of capital that will allow us to double in team size over the next few months. This is huge. It adds a lot of confidence that we'll be able to deliver what we want by our Kickstarter date.

The reason we haven't announced our Kickstarter date at this point is because we want the website update pushed out before we draw a huge amount of traffic to the website. Once we get the technology update pushed out, we've got a few big announcements to make.

-Jeromy

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Kickstarter started out as a great idea, but is becoming more and more abused. Yeah we got some amazing games with it, but the terrible games heavily outnumber those. Not to mention the hordes of Early Acess tittles that many are never worked on again after they half-ass a launch.

MurderHerd

Time shall tell. 

• VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Kickstarter started out as a great idea, but is becoming more and more abused. Yeah we got some amazing games with it, but the terrible games heavily outnumber those. Not to mention the hordes of Early Acess tittles that many are never worked on again after they half-ass a launch.

I do agree that as Kickstarter has grown the perception of it has certainly changed. It is no guarantee that anything on there will come to fruition, or if it does make it to a full release it will be any good. However, I do not see many other alternatives these days. Publishers are playing it far too safe. The will pay for the annual remakes of the popular titles but they are unwilling to put their money into anything more interesting. Especially if the developers are going around using terms like 'niche market'!

I think we just have to take that judgement, do we think this game can succeed? I think it will be incredibly interesting to see what Soulbound Studios say when the launch comes. They have said they are going to be transparent about what they are trying to achieve, how they are trying to achieve it and at what cost that will come. I really hope they do that, as I think one thing Kickstarter really lacks is companies that take their backers money seriously, treat them like investors (even though they are not in a traditional sense), give them the truth of the matter and let them make an informed choice.

As Zultra says time will indeed tell, but I am willing to wait and see what they have to say because this is a game I do want to play.

Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    OhhPaigey said:
    Good and bad.

I'm really getting tired of paid early access. If you can't afford to put your own money into creating a game, then don't make it, because it means you don't have any faith in the game lol.

On the other hand, it's a smart thing to do for a company, that's like having random people give you money to buy lottery tickets.
    I absolutely agree. That's why when I decided it was time for Chronicles of Elyria to move beyond the design phase into the larger development phase, I invested every bit of savings I had, took out a small business loan, and sold the land my family was using to build our dream home on in order to get some starting capital.

The proceeds from all of that - everything I have, plus the debt I incurred from it, is what is currently funding the development of Chronicles of Elyria. It's not much, but it's enough to get us to our Kickstarter.

I did that precisely because I believed that if I was going to ask the world for money to help make my vision a reality, I needed to put my money where my mouth was. I've literally put everything I own, plus more, on the line. And I'm completely comfortable with it. I wouldn't have done all that if I wasn't supremely confident in my team's ability to meet our objectives.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited January 2016
    JeromyWalsh said:
     sold the land my family was using to build our dream home on in order to get some starting capital.

Wow. You mentioned additional capital at the end of the December. I thought you meant an investor had signed on. Being a home-owner myself for my family... that's a hard decision to make.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    CoE is PvP-centric MMORPG?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    @blueturtle13 Thanks turtle! I'm really not trying to impress people though. I just want @OhhPaigey and people like him/her to understand we're not like other game companies.

We're an independent studio of veteran developers in the classic sense, and we really are footing the bill as much as we can on our own. But MMOs are big, and we've got big ideas. So it will eventually take support from the community to make our vision a reality.

And for those who want to support us, the opportunity isn't far out. We'll be hiring another 4-5 people within the next two months. That'll deplete our resources rather quickly. Look for our Kickstarter this spring.

And thanks again!
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaradaeMaradae Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Archlyte said:
    CoE is PvP-centric MMORPG?
    No, isn't it at all. Check out this forum or official site and discover the different possibilities it has.
    Co-author of Heraldo de Elyria (spanish fansite blog). Visit the CoE's official Wiki [En] [Es] [Fr]
    Consider using my Chronicles of Elyria friend code: C9D8F6
  • IndirectPvPIndirectPvP Member CommonPosts: 8
    my checkbook is out collecting dust.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    The bigger question is . . . who will be the new annoying person on the forums who posts about CoE three thousand times a day defending it from any and all non-super positive comments?
    Rusque said:
    The bigger question is . . . who will be the new annoying person on the forums who posts about CoE three thousand times a day defending it from any and all non-super positive comments?
    Can I volunteer for that role?

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 132
    edited January 2016
    I can't volunteer for the annoying person job my irons are in Bard's Tale 4 and Crowfall
    But if the TaxMan is nicer than last year I may sign on because I like the ideas they are cooking.
    hehehe I was burnt on Greed Monger, but I won't let one bad experiance keep me from looking at others
  • DARTHGALEN5DARTHGALEN5 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Regardless of when it comes out, I can't wait to have a chance to donate. The support of the people being a force to drive the funding of a game.. This game is doing things that no one would expect. I think there is a lot of love for CoE.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I thought kickstarters were out of vogue..... 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TylerGesselmanTylerGesselman Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I've never donated to any type of crowdfunding before, but this will be my first. I believe that this game is going to completely redefine the Survival MMO genre. Much like FF7 did for JRPGs and Halo did for FPS.
  • gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Rusque said:
    I nominate the "Have Fun!" dude from Star Citizen.
  • LyingShadowsLyingShadows Member CommonPosts: 4
    This is indeed very interesting concept, hope it succed
  • RiverBirdRiverBird Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I haven't funded any games through any kickstarters but this might be a first.