Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of Archeage?

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'm finally stepping away with BnS and BDO right around the corner. And here's why;
    "So about a couple months ago I blew a Cursed Obsidian Bow that was Epic along with my event Hellkissed Dagger as well as a Celestial Propellent. In desperation I sold all of my properties. 2 Gazebos, Townhouse, crafting cottage with all benches, 3 30 Gilda workstations, and my whole plot in general just to recover my stuff. Even bought (yes I gave in) $70 in Apex. In the end I was left with an Arcane Obsidian Bow and no land. I stopped playing for about a month. After being sick with frustration and taking a break, I assumed that I just had some really bad luck. So I started playing again. Had folks welcoming me back. So today I decided to upgrade my Auroria gear and start working on a new bow. All I was aiming for a a Celestial. It failed to go past Rare 9 times in a row. After selling a bunch of stuff and getting a little money from trade runs, I got it to Unique. I blew through a bunch of luckies and yellow regrade charms. Spent $50 in Apex again and even spent on upgrading to Cursed in hopes that it would proc to Celestial from Unique. Failed again. So i got it to Heroic and figured I could use a lucky and yellow and maybe it'll be nice and great success to Celestial. Nope. So Trion has a bunch of my money, time, and in-game resources I worked my ass off for. What's the lesson here? Grind for gold and just buy things outright. DON'T spend your money EVER on this game for regrades. It's very much like a gambling addiction. After losing majorly again, I sat here at the screen staring and wanting to vomit. Yeah I know people blow more on this game. But they obviously have more time to play and more money to dump into this game. For those of us with kids, jobs, school, it's not worth it. If you love lot's of PvP content and extra time and money on your hands, this is your game. Unfortunately for the rest of us, I recommend steering clear. There are better MMOs to suit your pace and not dig into your wallet."

Yea i'm sorry man this game just likes to crap all over people.  Takes hard work and craps all over it and calls it emergent gameplay.  It would be great if things didn't explode I would probably still be playing myself.  But I'm not one to gamble hard work and that is what this game requires of you.  I will gamble pocket change but not hard earned money heck no I will not.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    filmoret said:
    I'm finally stepping away with BnS and BDO right around the corner. And here's why;
    "So about a couple months ago I blew a Cursed Obsidian Bow that was Epic along with my event Hellkissed Dagger as well as a Celestial Propellent. In desperation I sold all of my properties. 2 Gazebos, Townhouse, crafting cottage with all benches, 3 30 Gilda workstations, and my whole plot in general just to recover my stuff. Even bought (yes I gave in) $70 in Apex. In the end I was left with an Arcane Obsidian Bow and no land. I stopped playing for about a month. After being sick with frustration and taking a break, I assumed that I just had some really bad luck. So I started playing again. Had folks welcoming me back. So today I decided to upgrade my Auroria gear and start working on a new bow. All I was aiming for a a Celestial. It failed to go past Rare 9 times in a row. After selling a bunch of stuff and getting a little money from trade runs, I got it to Unique. I blew through a bunch of luckies and yellow regrade charms. Spent $50 in Apex again and even spent on upgrading to Cursed in hopes that it would proc to Celestial from Unique. Failed again. So i got it to Heroic and figured I could use a lucky and yellow and maybe it'll be nice and great success to Celestial. Nope. So Trion has a bunch of my money, time, and in-game resources I worked my ass off for. What's the lesson here? Grind for gold and just buy things outright. DON'T spend your money EVER on this game for regrades. It's very much like a gambling addiction. After losing majorly again, I sat here at the screen staring and wanting to vomit. Yeah I know people blow more on this game. But they obviously have more time to play and more money to dump into this game. For those of us with kids, jobs, school, it's not worth it. If you love lot's of PvP content and extra time and money on your hands, this is your game. Unfortunately for the rest of us, I recommend steering clear. There are better MMOs to suit your pace and not dig into your wallet."

Yea i'm sorry man this game just likes to crap all over people.  Takes hard work and craps all over it and calls it emergent gameplay.  It would be great if things didn't explode I would probably still be playing myself.  But I'm not one to gamble hard work and that is what this game requires of you.  I will gamble pocket change but not hard earned money heck no I will not.
    Thanks for being understanding. I brought this post into their forums and they banned me. Don't get me wrong. The game itself is fun. Combat, classes, environments. But filled with people who out-gear you heavily. I don't expect to be matched with them in a week of playing. But after a couple of years and I still get slaughtered before I can even press a hotbar is just gut wrenching.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• BajsN3rdBajsN3rd Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I love the crafting rng system, that is good as hell cause I remember the good old days when you ran around with lvl 44 magnificent, arcane at max and pretty much 7/10 had a good fight in the 1v1 arena. Those where the days!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I am not an ArcheAge player but coming from Lineage 2 that has a enchant system where anything past +3 has a very high chance of destroying your item if it fails I understand what you are saying. You never try to Over Enchant unless you can afford for it to fail.

I remember back in the early days I tried to Over Enchant my dagger and blew it going to +4. I worked months for that dagger so I was heart broken and quit the game and also sold my account.

Came back a few months later and started fresh but the hard lesson had been learned.

I also came from Lineage 2 and it is a hard lesson to learn.

The way I did it was that I "plussed" a staff to +4. That was my "go to staff". I never tried to enchant it again.

Then I made others and those would be the staves that I would try to push as far as the enchantments. This way, when they exploded I still had a reasonably decent weapon.

I never put all my eggs into one basket as you could easily gimp yourself doing that. I imagine it's like gambling. If you are ahead then put then cash out, take a small amount if you still want to gamble but make sure you end the day ahead.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Don't know yet - just started playing, very casually. So far, seems pretty generic, but I like the whole 3-specs makes your class thing, and I can see the surface of systems that go much deeper in terms of the crafting/economy.

That's the one really good thing about F2P, IMO, you can waste a few days/weeks on a game without having to pony up anything.
    Just not sure where to go from here. The game obviously causes problems mentally and financially. I've spent so much time so it's hard to walk away. I guess I'm looking for a new MMO that isn't Archeage, has a NP2W shop that only has vanity items, a gear system that's fair and is fruitful based on how much time and effort into it and not money, balanced classes, a beautiful open world, good character customization, fun ways to make gold, and preferably some sort of housing system + B2P or P2P because I just can't stand the direction of F2P these days. Does any games like this exist?

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Just not sure where to go from here. The game obviously causes problems mentally and financially. I've spent so much time so it's hard to walk away. I guess I'm looking for a new MMO that isn't Archeage, has a NP2W shop that only has vanity items, a gear system that's fair and is fruitful based on how much time and effort into it and not money, balanced classes, a beautiful open world, good character customization, fun ways to make gold, and preferably some sort of housing system + B2P or P2P because I just can't stand the direction of F2P these days. Does any games like this exist?

Might look into Black Desert Online - I mean I have just seen what others have said from beta, but it sounds a lot like what you are describing, and similar to Archeage in that way too.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Look into Black Desert Online but it comes with a caveat. The NA/EU cash shop items hasn't been announced yet and it wasn't up and running in CBT1 so at this point we have no idea what will be in there or if it can be sold for in game gold. Also anything above +15(I think) has a chance of exploding on you if you want to go higher.

Aside from the above it does have a beautiful open world, the best character customization I have seen and has instanced housing. As for making gold I wasn't too interested in that while playing in CBT1 so someone else will need to comment. Also didn't play the classes to a high enough level so can't comment on their balance but do know from reading other posts each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Check it out, read about it, research it, maybe try for a CBT2 key when its announced and go from there.
    Kefo said:

Look into Black Desert Online but it comes with a caveat. The NA/EU cash shop items hasn't been announced yet and it wasn't up and running in CBT1 so at this point we have no idea what will be in there or if it can be sold for in game gold. Also anything above +15(I think) has a chance of exploding on you if you want to go higher.

Aside from the above it does have a beautiful open world, the best character customization I have seen and has instanced housing. As for making gold I wasn't too interested in that while playing in CBT1 so someone else will need to comment. Also didn't play the classes to a high enough level so can't comment on their balance but do know from reading other posts each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Check it out, read about it, research it, maybe try for a CBT2 key when its announced and go from there.
    I grabbed an Explorer's Pack a couple months ago and waiting like a kid on Christmas. I hope they announce an actual release date soon.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Sovrath said:

I am not an ArcheAge player but coming from Lineage 2 that has a enchant system where anything past +3 has a very high chance of destroying your item if it fails I understand what you are saying. You never try to Over Enchant unless you can afford for it to fail.

I remember back in the early days I tried to Over Enchant my dagger and blew it going to +4. I worked months for that dagger so I was heart broken and quit the game and also sold my account.

Came back a few months later and started fresh but the hard lesson had been learned.

I also came from Lineage 2 and it is a hard lesson to learn.

The way I did it was that I "plussed" a staff to +4. That was my "go to staff". I never tried to enchant it again.

Then I made others and those would be the staves that I would try to push as far as the enchantments. This way, when they exploded I still had a reasonably decent weapon.

I never put all my eggs into one basket as you could easily gimp yourself doing that. I imagine it's like gambling. If you are ahead then put then cash out, take a small amount if you still want to gamble but make sure you end the day ahead.
    I did not know any better at that time. My 2 friends that I was playing with both had shiny weapons and I wanted to be like them. 

Level 52 Treasure Hunter had just hit B Grade, got my new gear and blew my new weapon. I got the B Grade Dagger from the Luxury Shop in Giran. With no weapon and no money I could not even play. That was the last time I ever tried to over enchant anything. If I wanted something shiny I would just have to save up and buy it already enchanted. 
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    ArcheAge is a variation of same concept of Asian MMO PVP grinder that has existed since MMORPG dawn.
    After a while it transfered to it's F2P-RMT variation.

It has higher production values (art assets, animations, etc) than older such games and some streamlined sandboxy/open world concepts , but it's fundamently is another of an very old concept of RMT end game PVP grind.

There always been some audience for those games, and since that is one of type of MMORPG audiences that is still relatively strong (many others have moved on and withered in numbers/revenue generation)  so such games are created for them.

The End.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Depends, what do we think of archeage was, could had been ,or is now.

For now:

Archeage is good game design, and well done sandpark, maybe top 5 games ever to be released concepted like that, with a big BUT> it was released by one of the worst publishers ever to exist.

Publisher made the enviroment unbearable for everyone else except customers that invest large sums of money in gear to stay competetive.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I try not to

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305

"So about a couple months ago I blew a Cursed Obsidian Bow that was Epic along with my event Hellkissed Dagger as well as a Celestial Propellent......"

You should't blew up your best items. Why you did this ?
    I think you know that that was a dumb decision..

a) keep you highest  best gear...
    b) create a backup you work on to make it better the a)
    c) win

because all of what happened to you after what you did in step 1 was your own bad decision...

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    The best mmorpg experience for me.
    I confess i dont like the way some patches are changing the game, removing players freedom and push the game to a standart boring Faction vs Faction mmorpg. Im glad is still possible to create inside faction conflict and political drama, and that is amazing for me.
    And still love the naval warfare every night i can play.

Some bad decisions from XLGames and Trion made me vote the 2nd option. ArcheAge could be much better management then it was on launch and during several months after, things are a little "less bad" atm.

Im here since day 1 and still have alot of fun even undergeared, but ofc the comunity i am is really important to keep adicted to Archeage.

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    boring korean crap with p2w cash shop

and since it is trion they should lock and sell all equipment slots :D
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    POS before and after it was released

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Gameplay wise, it is great.  Sadly most of that is ruined by a textbook pay to win system.  Kooncoon, a P2W youtuber, kills people in two or three hits.  Watch this recent video or any of his other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z178EORINPE

The RNG crafting system is the games second major weakness.  Add the fact that Trion still has issues with hackers and a great game is ruined by a few simple business choices.   
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    edited February 2016
    Talonsin said:
    Gameplay wise, it is great.  Sadly most of that is ruined by a textbook pay to win system.  Kooncoon, a P2W youtuber, kills people in two or three hits.  Watch this recent video or any of his other videos.

The RNG crafting system is the games second major weakness.  Add the fact that Trion still has issues with hackers and a great game is ruined by a few simple business choices.   

Yo, killing unbuffed lvl 30 lowbies is easy for someone playing for 3 years.

But then firing spells after spells  even with 2 vs 1 against a vet takes a long time.

Archeage is not pay to win, and the RNG system helps lots in that.

Give your divine attempt  regrade atempt to a lvl 1 free to play toon and he has same chance not spending any cent.

Lets call Archeage pay to loose because its absolutely certain that with same gearscore its certain that people who spend lots money have spend lotsa more then a free to play player ;)

Archeage  = free  play  to win ;)    

btw no vid from Coon from his beloved 1 vs 1 arena ;)  why ? ;))

not that i personally care about 1 vs 1 arena but it was Coon's favorite playfield ...more vids from the Coon in 1 vs 1 arena next time please...
    Coon need more 1 vs 1 arena now, with 2.5 ...doesn't he !?!?
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Talonsin said:

Kooncoon is a very bad example of PvP in Archeage:
    - He doesnt play in our servers, and theres a few diferences from region to region.
    - He is attacking weak ppl, maybe alts to grind rift or something.

I left this example from the server i play, 3 weeks ago.
    Aesir is a very strong pvp guild, well geared players, organized and they know what they are doing in the battlefield, this make them the top guild in ground pvp combat. But at least on this video everyone is prepared to the fight, p2w or not p2w here what matters are the group and how the group behave. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Great game with bad management. The business model is the only reason i do not play it again. Same happened with Swtor.

• TapsTapsTapsTaps Member CommonPosts: 2
    Game is lacking in leadership and direction.  Will flounder for a while more and never achieve any note worthy success.
  • shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Really enjoyed the game until I realised that it was a greedy cash grab which was a shame as it would probably have been very popular. I am more than happy to pay a subscription, or buy from a cash shop for some items. With this game it is both, and they really try to wring it out of you. Would not return.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Another game that "could have been..." if it didn't get ruined by Trion.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016
    reading some of these posts I find more people answering the question about the company and not the game. 

what i wouldnt give to have discussions about game quality actually focus on the game and not the developer.

anyway, I played it and gave it a real chance by playing it for about 40 hours. I didnt like anything about it other than flying. I liked it on paper but actually playing the game there is a lot I didnt like about it but what sticks with me the most is the tween aged avatars. That is just what sticks with me the most as what I didnt like

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me