Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Early Access Ready for Primetime

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSteam Early Access Ready for Primetime

Nathan Richardsson has sent out a new update for fans of Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade. In it, he makes the big announcement that "we are now preparing to fully move over to the Early Access program on Steam". Those choosing to participate will be able to get in the Closed Alpha via a Steam purchase or a Founders pack can be purchased from the game's official site. The Founder's Program will be ending on January 25th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I may be alone on this, but I am not excited for this in the least bit. the concept of a true 40k MMO seemed too good to be true, then it turned out that it was :(

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    MrBum21 said:
    I may be alone on this, but I am not excited for this in the least bit. the concept of a true 40k MMO seemed too good to be true, then it turned out that it was :(
    Me either, looked up gameplay, not very interested. But I wasn't hyped for it to begin with lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • casdegerecasdegere Member UncommonPosts: 15
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    edited January 2016
    I remember the sale pitch for this game where they said it would be this massive war of hundreds of players. All the video I have seen has had like 10 or less players involved. I don't see anything that qualifies as massive multiplayer yet. It just looks like another lobby shooter with a warhammer skin. Basically they want people to give them money now and they promise to put the MMO part of the game in later......eventually.......they hope.... No thanks, I heard that from Firefall too.
    Post edited by donger56 on
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I liked Nathan when he was at CCP but he has not shown any brilliance after leaving. Defiance was a disaster and he only lasted 6 months at Ubisoft. Now announcing early access makes me feel Behavior Interactive might be short on funds. Early access is a means to keep a game going through development and start cashing checks early to make it through to the end.

Typically, only small cash-strapped companies do this. It takes money you would have gotten from release and uses it to finish a game or in the case of Code Hatch or DoubleFine, gives you a way to release a not-finished game and walk away with the cash with no responsibility
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    edited January 2016
    People are right, it is just another crappy shooter/moba skinned in Warhammer. They should hire this guy to get their sales up:
  • SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    It was supposed to be a MMO then they said they can't do it so they made it a Planet Side 2 rip off. Too bad too because the 40k universe is hands down the most exciting universe to play in as an RPG. So as a properly done MMO it could have been huge.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Space Marine was fun. The combat could be fun. I just don't know if it can have the long term fun factor that is needed to keep the game big and going.

The thought of Planetside 3: Warhammer.....Meh.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited January 2016
    iam looking forward to reviewing this game- boy do i have alot to say... ill just say this game has made me rethink buying early founders packs....(am i allowed to say this yet?)
    donger56 said:
    I remember the sale pitch for this game where they said it would be this massive war of hundreds of players. All the video I have seen has had like 10 or less players involved.

No thanks, I heard that from Firefall too.

amen.

one just needs to buy warhammer space marines from THQ (still available) they have the best maps and combat to date! and has a great campaign too!
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The idea of a Planetside: WH40K appeals just fine to me. Having played the tabletop and knowing about the overall setting, I don't see how they could have done WH40K any other way. I would be pissed if it was some tab-target BS with a toolbar filled with redundant skills. Also, if I had to level up a character by killing 10 space rats per quest or some similar nonsense I wouldn't even bother. Of course I'm partial to Planetside 1 and 2, so there is also that. The only thing that they would really need to implement, which I have no idea if they do or not since this game is barely on my radar, is to have some form of persistent faction land/planet control to really represent WH40K properly.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I'd be all jiffy with PlanetSide 2 reskinned and redesigned for Warhammer 40k. Alas, this doesn't seem to have the scale of PS2.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    "Early Access" and "Ready for Primetime" are a contradiction in terms.

Nice clickbait tho...

I guess that is what the ad money paid for...

• NecroFraggleNecroFraggle Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I was so so so much looking forward to this game to finally come out. Keyword: was. I have heard and seen so much negative forums and disappointing game play that now I don't care anymore and won't be buying it. I was the same for archage. What a great release that was (sarcasm). This game like so many other things could have been so good.
    edited January 2016
    NecroFraggle said:
    I was so so so much looking forward to this game to finally come out. Keyword: was. I have heard and seen so much negative forums and disappointing game play that now I don't care anymore and won't be buying it. I was the same for archage. What a great release that was (sarcasm). This game like so many other things could have been so good.

checkout fatsharks, warhammer -vermintide is pretty dam good- been playing that until total wars-warhammer
  • ennstaennsta Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Talonsin said:
    I liked Nathan when he was at CCP but he has not shown any brilliance after leaving. Defiance was a disaster and he only lasted 6 months at Ubisoft. Now announcing early access makes me feel Behavior Interactive might be short on funds. Early access is a means to keep a game going through development and start cashing checks early to make it through to the end.

Typically, only small cash-strapped companies do this. It takes money you would have gotten from release and uses it to finish a game or in the case of Code Hatch or DoubleFine, gives you a way to release a not-finished game and walk away with the cash with no responsibility
    I also liked me at CCP, I was a pretty nice guy back then. Now, I am the destroyer of world and crusher of dreams.

That being said, I joined here a year ago an drastically changed our development process to agile, changed the schedule to get our Founders in much sooner than possible to be part of that development process, and put laser focus on making a great "online shooter" as part "massive online shooter". We are now working on adding more of the "massive". Part of this was drastically changing the scope from being "impossible" to "fucking awesome and achievable in a decade". That's what I do.

And to clarify this move to the Early Access framework, we're already using Steamworks, the Steam developer framework for security, build management, distribution, security etc. and we've simply outgrown our own infrastructure. And the added benefits since our payment options sucks, and the ease of use, trust and familiarity of Steam is far more than our website, this will be a much easier way for customers to evaluate and determine if they want to get in at this point.

If you are at all doubtful about what we're doing - a massive online shooter - or waiting to see other elements, I sincerely urge you to wait jumping in. Yes, you'll have have to pay a bit more to get less extra benefits, but I'd rather have you a happy shoot-people-in-face-with-eldar than an unhappy. 

For example, you can check out twitch, like  - us developers hang out there as well since he's a damn good player too.

We're here for the long haul, 10 years at least, and that requires a solid relationship between you and me. So I don't hesitate to recommend you wait and see.

Oh, and sorry you didn't like Defiance. We were all proud of being able to launch and be the first MMO on all PC, 360 and PS3 and still running successfully but totally understand you felt it was providing suction on parts of a farm animals reproductive system. And that's my fault.

Hope you have a great day! :)

Nathan
    (aka Sr Producer of Eternal Crusade)
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i am hope someone ll' make WAR 40k real mmoRPG ,Eternal Crusade is just an bad shooter in war40k skin
    I am spend 40$ for basic founder pack & I am done with that crap ,until some miracles positive surprised me
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    There is something about Games Workshop franchises that just seems to make it nigh on impossible to to convert it into a good computer game. Nearly every single GW game has sucked really hard. I don't know whether it is difficulty converting the rules and the lore, or whether it is simply that investors still look down on tabletop gaming and thus wont invest the money needed. 

Eternal Crusade had potential when it first announced as an MMORPG. I thought "great!", I can finally play a 40k RPG, even better, play it as an MMO! But then, no, run out of money, not feasible. iirc, it then announced it was going to be a single player experience. Bit disappointing but still awesome, still an open world 40k RPG!

Now though.....it seems to be just a shell of its original intention. Watered down content, progression and world, lack of depth, only 4 playable races. I'm a 40k fan so I'll probably still check it out via the F2P option when it releases, "just in case", but I don't hold out much hope. 

Essentially what I am still hoping for, at somepoint before I die, is either a skyrim-esque game but for 40k, or a PvP based MMO like CU or CF, but for 40k. True open world, focus on pvp, some interesting progression and classes. Chuck in the vehicles, some base building etc.... :)
    i am hope someone ll' make WAR 40k real mmoRPG ,Eternal Crusade is just an bad shooter in war40k skin
    I am spend 40$ for basic founder pack & I am done with that crap ,until some miracles positive surprised me
    Oh, we'll continue to develop Eternal Crusade post-launch in that direction as we've already said. We have free expansions every 3 months, so hopefully we'll reach a point in the future that you'll want to join us.

But glad you like EVE, I was the Executive Producer on that in the first 7 years.

Essentially what I am still hoping for, at somepoint before I die, is either a skyrim-esque game but for 40k, or a PvP based MMO like CU or CF, but for 40k. True open world, focus on pvp, some interesting progression and classes. Chuck in the vehicles, some base building etc.... :)
    You and me both brother. Although we do have progression being developed now, vehicles and classes are in, base building is planned for an expansion so I think we'll get to a point where you'll like it just a little bit. One can always hope ;)
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    ennsta said:

Agent_Joseph said:

Oh, we'll continue to develop Eternal Crusade post-launch in that direction as we've already said. We have free expansions every 3 months, so hopefully we'll reach a point in the future that you'll want to join us.

But glad you like EVE, I was the Executive Producer on that in the first 7 years.

thank you , I am glad to hear miracle has chance to be happen ! I wish best for Eternal Crusade but please give me war 40 k universe feeling not just simple shooter in war 40k skin !
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    cagan said:
    People are right, it is just another crappy shooter/moba skinned in Warhammer. They should hire this guy to get their sales up:
    This guy made me lol...
    they'll smash each other to pieces !!

"All they want to do is get drunk,they want to fight people !!

Too bad the whole picture and story he is going on about is nothing what the game was like.The only good thing i found in that game was the sound the rest of the game was just really bad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.