Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filler game until this game releases?

2»

Comments

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Utinni said:
    EQ1, EQ2, Project Gorgon, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Istaria, ESO... I keep hearing "there are no good mmo's" and I'm starting to realize those people aren't going to like Pantheon either. You'd best just give up on gaming now instead of waiting 2 years to have your soul crushed when it releases and isn't the pre-broadband internet/pre-wiki wonderland you're hoping for. You've got a void in your life that even games cannot fill.
    Been wondering about that. Seems like plenty of good MMOs out there. Certainly many more choices than 10 years ago. There's basically something for everyone. But nothing is good enough anymore...and we get angry, forlorn EQ1/SWG lost refugees who want everything to just be rolled back to 1999.

Get into a good guild and enjoy your game of choice together. But that's just fanboy talk I guess.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Lasterba said:
    Hrimnir said:
    Pillars of Eternity is your friend
    I tried to like Pillars of Eternity...but the combat was less of a strategic battle where you can use your skills and combat acumen to defeat your enemies and more like a mob of bad guys clusterfucking into your mob of good guys and spamming all your skills until they're dead.
    You had an entirely different experience than i did.  Granted its not Divinity, Original Sin, or anything *that* tactical, but it was heads and tails above garbage like *pick a dragon age* game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited January 2016
    Utinni said:
    EQ1, EQ2, Project Gorgon, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Istaria, ESO... I keep hearing "there are no good mmo's" and I'm starting to realize those people aren't going to like Pantheon either. You'd best just give up on gaming now instead of waiting 2 years to have your soul crushed when it releases and isn't the pre-broadband internet/pre-wiki wonderland you're hoping for. You've got a void in your life that even games cannot fill.
    Most of us have either played those games to death, or have become disenchanted with them as they've changed drastically over the years or no longer have the necessary playerbase. Just because I don't play older games or the current generation, doesn't mean myself and other like me won't enjoy a new game like EQ or Vanguard.

For instance, I'm playing an open world single player game called Ninelives (alpha) and enjoying the shit out of it because its totally old school. In other words, its challenging, there is no golden path, little is explained to you, the world is well crafted, and most everything is left for you to figure out on your own, at whatever order and pace you choose. I long for the day I'm able to play an MMO with those features again.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

ALL mmos fit in a category of bad :

1) Cash shopped to death.  Who has what ? Who is gimped because they are playing totally free. Who is paying $200.00 a month ? 

2) So easy, the game is worthless.

3) Mega servers.  Where the hell is everyone ?

4) So old, it's not worth playing.  Nothing to do with Old School.

5) Extremely small, Extremely short, Extremely zoned.

6) Abilities simplified.  GuildWars 2 style. 

As bad as each one is.  ALMOST ALL HAVE ALL 6 CATEGORIES OF BAD !

I can prove it......Just read General Discussion post...... 100 % arguments of all 6.  

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Really glad I looked at this thread because it lead me to Project Gorgon. Even in alpha (which is playable for free right now) this game has much of what we are all looking for in an MMORPG. I would say this is perfect, long time filler but may end up being one of your main games.

http://projectgorgon.com/

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited January 2016
    Hrimnir said:
    Lasterba said:
    Hrimnir said:
    Pillars of Eternity is your friend
    I tried to like Pillars of Eternity...but the combat was less of a strategic battle where you can use your skills and combat acumen to defeat your enemies and more like a mob of bad guys clusterfucking into your mob of good guys and spamming all your skills until they're dead.
    You had an entirely different experience than i did.  Granted its not Divinity, Original Sin, or anything *that* tactical, but it was heads and tails above garbage like *pick a dragon age* game.
    Pillars of Eternity is a great game. Divinity I could not stand. Somehow I didn't enjoy combat and graphic at all in that game.

I recommend:

Don't Starve - Really fun and charming survival game which you can also play with your friends. Maybe the best survival game out there. A game which I have played little bit to much. :)

Can be worth checking out:

Homeworld Desert of Kharak - Will be released next week (january 20). It can be something for those who enjoys RTS games. From the creators of Homeworld and Company of Heroes.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak 'Primary Anomaly' Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ior9JoUE0 

Skirmish & Unit Detail Gameplay - Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd5usjTeWoo

Post edited by Elmberry on
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Played quite a bit of Don't Starve. Love simple games like that you can pick up for a reasonable price and play for hours. I did actually get a bit tired of it though after reaching like day 150 or something. Would definitely play again though.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    I stopped playing P1999 EQ servers few months back and atm I'm only playing The Secret World, very casually on a new character, for the story and lore.
    I have a bunch of accounts in a lot of post-EQ MMOs but I can't get myself to play any of them, can barely play TSW.
    So yeah, Pantheon is probably the last stop for me as well, if it doesn't turn out good then it will be time to hang my gaming hat for good, and that's probably for the best since I have too many hobbies as it is.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    Benjola said:
    I stopped playing P1999 EQ servers few months back and atm I'm only playing The Secret World, very casually on a new character, for the story and lore.
    I have a bunch of accounts in a lot of post-EQ MMOs but I can't get myself to play any of them, can barely play TSW.
    So yeah, Pantheon is probably the last stop for me as well, if it doesn't turn out good then it will be time to hang my gaming hat for good, and that's probably for the best since I have too many hobbies as it is.
    Most of the old school players feel this way that I have spoke to. Heck, I have been hitting my old software engineering books again as making a game (or modifying an existing one) has more appeal than playing any of them these days due to them being more "entertainment" than "game". /shrug
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    edited January 2016
    I've been playing Project 1999 for months now but with all the talk about how awesome the class systems were in Vanguard I went searching to see if someone had a private server or emulator up and going. It's a shame I never got around to playing that one when it was up and couldn't find anything working and running. All I found was one that was in the works, I haven't downloaded it yet but I guess you can make a character and run around in the world and chat with folks??? But that isnt really going to show me the class systems... if anyone's interested its here. http://vgoplayers.com/index.php
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    If you dont mind playing a game in alpha that will likely change quite a bit while they make design decisions then try out project gorgon.  Free for the moment but will go to steam pretty soon.  Like a combination of EQ and UO with some hints of vanguard.  You dont pick a class you pickup skills as you go and just skillup whatever you want - like UO.  Its alpha design stage, but it plays better than some released games.  No autoattack, fast zone times, many many skills sets, and Ive never crashed yet after playing a couple months.