Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filler game until this game releases?

OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239
What would be a newer mmo worth playing while waiting for this?  Haven't been playing mmos for a while, [mod edit].  Any suggestions?

(Akiraosc)

Post edited by Amana on

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Id love to hear this as well. 
    For me it is actually Singleplayer RPGs all the way.

After all current gen MMOs are like single RPGs anyways, real RPGs actually have a Story and usually more content as well.

Sad gaming world for us EQ lovers :-(

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited January 2016
    As far as from this decade there are none, hence the need for Pantheon. Project 1999 is your only MMO choice atm. I second the suggestion of switching to single player for now. Fallout 4 is a good choice. Witcher III also if you like that style of combat, I don't.
    Post edited by Thebeasttt on
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited January 2016
    Oscillate said:
    What would be a newer mmo worth playing while waiting for this?  Haven't been playing mmos for a while, [mod edit]..  Any suggestions?
    Didn't mention how much you want to pay, if it needs to be fantasy genre, or if you're looking for retro-esque mmorpg experiences like[mod edit]. or pantheon.
    Post edited by Amana on
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

- Was playing Vanilla WoW, but the server did some changes that I didn't like, but should be fixed by spring.

- All my friends moved to GuildWars 2, but its feeling more like a pre school playground every time I come back.  I guess they are going with the easy and not to offend anyone approach.

So nothing......I just hope Pantheon will be able to handle large populations when released !

I also hope Visionary Realms will re-invest their huge profits back into the game to make it even bigger. Since it will be the only mmo in the market.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Have you ever played Pantheon? Then you don't have a damn clue whether the game will make "huge profits" or not. Mechanically it could be everything veterans want and still be an utterly terrible game due to poor design, lack of money, mediocre gameplay, etc.

Spare us your fanboi BS but if you must, at least wait till beta before you mindlessly declare it a success.
  • CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Have you ever played Pantheon? Then you don't have a damn clue whether the game will make "huge profits" or not. Mechanically it could be everything veterans want and still be an utterly terrible game due to poor design, lack of money, mediocre gameplay, etc.

Spare us your fanboi BS but if you must, at least wait till beta before you mindlessly declare it a success.
    Wow. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Or he could be constipated? Or both perhaps?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OP
    Why would you play a MMO that is all about long  term investment if you are just moving on to another game,that makes no sense?
    Play a single player game,Dishonored is amazing,only 11 bucks on Steam and can be played in a week or a couple weeks if wanting to replay it until your game comes out.
    What else,i think "The Division" is out or will be shortly.
    go play a Diablo "POE" type game,they are mindless killing to keep you interested for a couple weeks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Pillars of Eternity is your friend

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I agree with sticking to single player games for the time being.  Thats what I'm doing at present. 
    I'm bored and tired of the same old format of modern MMO's; I haven't played a MMO for months.  It's been enjoyable catching up with all the great single player titles I missed over the years due to being too focused on MMO's.

If you need to scratch that MMO itch, Blade and Soul launches within the next couple of weeks but unfortunately still sticks to the same follow the yellow brick road mentality.
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Buccaneer said:
    I agree with sticking to single player games for the time being.  Thats what I'm doing at present. 
    I'm bored and tired of the same old format of modern MMO's; I haven't played a MMO for months.  It's been enjoyable catching up with all the great single player titles I missed over the years due to being too focused on MMO's.

If you need to scratch that MMO itch, Blade and Soul launches within the next couple of weeks but unfortunately still sticks to the same follow the yellow brick road mentality.
    I would agree. I was playing Wild Star in terms of an MMO. Now I just log onto the game every day to make sure I get the daily log on reward. What I have done is started to go back to finish some RPGs on the PS3 and PS4. Just finished Platinum the Dragon Age Inquisition game. I remember starting it when it first came out but i stopped playing it and picked it up again around October or so to finish it a couple weeks ago. I have been playing the Witcher 3 as well, and I'm around half way through that. I love the story and the Lore of the game. I like that they implemented a new stance in terms of combat that allows for more fluidity. The continue to patch the game with neat features or more DLC. There are two expansions, one is out already and another comes out soon. 

My thoughts are that I'm going to Platinum Witcher 3 then probably move on to borderlands, or perhaps blood bourne. I would probably say just play single player games like others have said. Also one other stated Blade and Soul, you can give that a try since it is free to play. I'm going to do that as well, but don't see myself putting much effort into it or rather taking a really long time since I have other life commitments at the moment. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    If you are an "old-school" MMORPG fan and have not checked out Project:Gorgon yet, you need to do so immediately.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If you like horror/suspense, good stories and puzzles, The Secret World is worth spending some time in. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2016
    Oscillate said:
    What would be a newer mmo worth playing while waiting for this?  Haven't been playing mmos for a while, [mod edit]..  Any suggestions?
    I'd say ESO as far as new MMO's go, not that it rehashes the EQ experience or anything, it is just IMO the most solid MMORPG experience available right now YMMV..

Plenty of single player games to fill the void with.. Fallout 4, Divinity Original sin.. Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity etc.. , or NWN2 player worlds are another option.
    Post edited by Amana on

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    edited January 2016
    Oscillate said:
    New MMO, honestly none.

[mod edit].I can honestly say none. All the mainstreams will quickly disappoint and any of the older classics that did have some merit have destroyed themselves (LoTRO, DDO, EQ2, EQ).

Last time I checked Asherons Call was still up an running, that may be an option, though I have no idea what state it is in.

Fact is, mainstream is crap, what old school games exist have become mainstream and all that is left is obscure emulators and such.

Maybe play some single player cRPGs? Underail was fully released recently and if you are a fallout 1/2 fan, it will certainly wet your whistle, but as for MMOs, no... all crap, garbage or just imitations.

That is why this game is so important. If it doesn't meet its goals, then the industry might as well not exist to people like me because... well... to be blunt, I wouldn't piss on the games today to save them.
    Post edited by Amana on
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Hrimnir said:
    Pillars of Eternity is your friend
    I tried to like Pillars of Eternity...but the combat was less of a strategic battle where you can use your skills and combat acumen to defeat your enemies and more like a mob of bad guys clusterfucking into your mob of good guys and spamming all your skills until they're dead.
    Amathe said:
    If you like horror/suspense, good stories and puzzles, The Secret World is worth spending some time in. 
    This I forgot about. Yes, linear story based progression where you just watch scenes and some nice puzzles make TSW a nice "play through once" type of game.

That said, its combat system is horrid, its mainstreaming abuse and direction makes you want to shoot yourself. The nice thing though is that mainstreaming a game tends to make it stupidly easy to play via combat, so... if one is looking to just run through it quick and experience "the story", such dumbed down game play works well.

My suggestion to those who are interested, wait till they put the whole game pack on sale as putting too much money into this game is a pure gimmick and waste.

Sorry, these guys I warned early on in beta about their class/combat design (ie the need to follow the idiotic Trinity class focus) which completely invalidated any real means of their development system, but hey... the WoW crowd was yelling its lungs out then, and well... the allure and stupidity of wanting to appeal to that group led to a combat system that makes no sense, has the technical means of being complex, but is just a mundane chase of grinding points to assist redundant play. /facepalm
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    MMO wise, there are 0 good option in my opinion. Not even bearable. The only game I've played in years that I could see playing longer than a month was ArcheAge, but it turned out to be a massive cash grab that rewarded the players who spent more money rather than played better/harder.

For me the only option is single player MMOs. I have 200 hours in Fallout 4 now. I played some Pillars of Eternity. Will probably continue jumping around until Pantheon.

Its funny, because since playing EQ originally, I lost most of my interest in spending much time in single players games. I'd play through the story and enjoy them, but never really wanted to go beyond because I just couldn't justify such a time investment in a single player world. Yet here I am, spending hundreds of hours in these games now because there just isn't an MMO I can stomach.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I don't know, but I'd try to look for a pretty BIIIGGG "filler"
    Might be playing it for a while.
    Sinist said:
    Amathe said:
    This I forgot about. Yes, linear story based progression where you just watch scenes and some nice puzzles make TSW a nice "play through once" type of game.

That said, its combat system is horrid, its mainstreaming abuse and direction makes you want to shoot yourself. The nice thing though is that mainstreaming a game tends to make it stupidly easy to play via combat, so... if one is looking to just run through it quick and experience "the story", such dumbed down game play works well.

My suggestion to those who are interested, wait till they put the whole game pack on sale as putting too much money into this game is a pure gimmick and waste.

Sorry, these guys I warned early on in beta about their class/combat design (ie the need to follow the idiotic Trinity class focus) which completely invalidated any real means of their development system, but hey... the WoW crowd was yelling its lungs out then, and well... the allure and stupidity of wanting to appeal to that group led to a combat system that makes no sense, has the technical means of being complex, but is just a mundane chase of grinding points to assist redundant play. /facepalm
    I don't recall my touting its combat or class system awesomeness. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2016
    Project Gorgon will be my filler. My 2 top future mmorpg are Camelot Unchained and Pantheon. CU for RvR and Pantheon for immersive pve (mostly. No idea how pvp will be integrated at this time nor care).

Project Gorgon however is my Asheron's Call to Pantheon's EQ so looking forward to it (AC was my game back when EQ was king). Waiting for Steam release so they get money and the game is polished a bit more which is what is delaying Steam release atm. February'ish last I heard.

You stay sassy!

Amathe said:
    Sinist said:
    Amathe said:

I don't recall my touting its combat or class system awesomeness. 
    I don't recall me claiming you did. Want a cookie?
    Sinist said:

Want a cookie? 
    Yes please. It's late. I haven't had supper. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I could understand under stand flying off the handle and this little flip out. I've been their myself when others overly hype a pre-release.  The difference is, I'm acting as a free agent with no affiliation to the company.

In fact many of my statements are not accepted by VR. Difference being I can shoot from the hip with my opinions.  VR needs to choose their words more carefully, I don't.

Many of my post and comments are over the top.....Do I know this ?.....I sure do, this is how I get things done in real life.  I push issues that need addressing.  In real life, some things need to be done.  Many just talk about them, I make them happen for the greater good.  Now that's in real life, I could give hundreds of examples but this isn't the place. 

So you may ask what does this have to do with video games or Pantheon ? 

Well, I picked this game.  No one asked me to.  I see promise in Pantheon in a totally destroyed mmo market.  DISTROYED BY DEVELOPERS. Just read General Discussions on this web site.  All of its posters in disarray trying to figure out went wrong.....I know, and yes its a fact DEVELOPERS !

It's all about developers main goal :  

In Wildstar its about attracting little kids with silliness.  In Pantheon it's about attracting mmo players, and we are many, very possible everyone.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    well i am not just waiting for this game but it is the only mmo i am anticipating currently. i will play quite a few games while i am waiting but the one mmo i play the most consistently right now is ESO.

i will also play D3 season 5 HC when it starts in a few days. been also playing some CSGO off and on and a bunch of single player games that i wont list here.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    EQ1, EQ2, Project Gorgon, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Istaria, ESO... I keep hearing "there are no good mmo's" and I'm starting to realize those people aren't going to like Pantheon either. You'd best just give up on gaming now instead of waiting 2 years to have your soul crushed when it releases and isn't the pre-broadband internet/pre-wiki wonderland you're hoping for. You've got a void in your life that even games cannot fill.