Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fans Start Petition to See David Bowie Immortalized in GameWoW World of Warcraft News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFans Start Petition to See David Bowie Immortalized in GameWoW World of Warcraft News

World of Warcraft fans have started an online petition to get Blizzard to immortalize music legend David Bowie in game. The connection between Bowie and WoW is strong through his son Duncan Jones, director of the Warcraft movie.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Obviously will happen.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Absolutely.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Iggy Darktusk :D

Maybe some quest about a starman?

Kinda strange as it was Omikron: The nomad soul, that made me a fan of the man
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nice idea.

He is in CO since many years (or more precisely his alterego called Bowii, since lore-wise it's not exactly our version of Earth), and there was a memorial / costume meetup after his death - mostly as Aladdin Sane since the lightning and hair is the easiest thing to make on your character.

(there's a labyrinth in Vibora Bay, if you get to the middle you may meet him if you're lucky with the spawn. He's wearing an outfit like in the movie, says he's the Goblin King and does the magic dance, if the player dances with him he gets the Magic dance title)

Also they're adding a figure of him with a following patch, it's on PTS already (http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1204004/fc-31-20151015-67-bug-fixes
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Well now they need to add Alan Rickman... because well he was awesome too.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Alan Rickman... that is who needs to be immortalized 
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2016
    If there would be less real-life references in WoW, the game would have been way better.

The holidays ingame are based on our real holidays, which is a huge annoyance for a lot of people. Why couldn't they make up something themself, instead of using lame american holidays.

So I see this petition as something pointless and just plain dumb, which wouldn't add anything to the game. I have nothing against Bowie though. Let the man rest in peace, not use his death as a promotion for your game. Creating a NPC with his name is nowhere close to being a tribute.
  • Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited January 2016
    These petitions need to stop happening. Blizzard is known for doing these nods regardless but they can't let themselves fall into a position where they are known to give into demands if delivered by petition.

As it stands something they would have likely done regardless will almost certainly be credited to the petition.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Dauntis said:

Should be interesting to see how it's handled. I BELIEVE that apart from exceptional cases, Blizz has always included celebs who have had some association with the game. Could be wrong there, but that's what I seem to remember. Does David Bowie have a loose (like spaghetti noodle loose) connection via the WC movie? I don't know. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I don't really see the point here, unless he played the game why is this worth doing?

Blizzard might even get sued for using his name in this way.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Yes, just bring everyone who died in 2015 into the game and make it a total pop culture museum.
    You can never have enough of this bullcrap being rubbed into your face when playing a videogame.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If his son dies, maybe, but I don't believe David Bowie has any connection to WoW.  Maybe I'm wrong. 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Dauntis said:

mmmm its safe to say mr.Bowie contributed a whole lot more (4 decades) than a harry potter character.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited January 2016
    josko9 said:
    If there would be less real-life references in WoW, the game would have been way better.

The holidays ingame are based on our real holidays, which is a huge annoyance for a lot of people. Why couldn't they make up something themself, instead of using lame american holidays.

So I see this petition as something pointless and just plain dumb, which wouldn't add anything to the game. I have nothing against Bowie though. Let the man rest in peace, not use his death as a promotion for your game. Creating a NPC with his name is nowhere close to being a tribute.

Always funny to read something like this , wondering why its still one of the most played eu/us mmorpg for the last 10+ years. So many things i can think about that would make wow better but removing not adding rl references and rl hollidays is the last i can think about.
  • blackeyegoreblackeyegore Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Can we get everyone that has played WoW and has or will die immortalized into the game too ? Everyone dies, I don't see the big deal why people think some should be special.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited January 2016
    Alan rickman can be inmortalized as Mage , warlock or alchemist ;) trainer or even older movies, many options :)
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    May as well add Lemmy to the growing list. Bowie, yeah they'll need permission from his family to do this. And Alan Rickman is far more than just a Harry Potter character, orbitxo.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Want to honor David Bowie?

Find out what causes were dear to him and make a donation. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Gosh what a sour group. I don't see this as a problem.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    The local high school put up a tribute in their newspaper too. And as we are talking about inconsequential testimonies to a music god. I'm inspired to dedicate my truck to him with a sticker on the window that reads "In Memorium" with a cartoony angel and the dates of his life. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Swanea said:
    Gosh what a sour group. I don't see this as a problem.

Maybe you've forgotten what site you're on?

• NinjamasteryodaNinjamasteryoda Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Seriously do you guys even know what is immortalization. These guys are legends do atleast pay them respect and immortalise them in your heart not in games. Putting them in games is just disrespecting them. Games are not immortal, neither is WOW for ppl that give cheesy comments that WOW is immortal.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I would have thought the average WOW player would have said, "David who?"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited January 2016
    What kind of magic spell to use?
    Slime and snails?
    Puppy dog tails?
    Thunder or lightning?

Harbinger of Fools
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    laserit said:
    Want to honor David Bowie?

Find out what causes were dear to him and make a donation. 
    Most charities are scams.

Better of just loving his music, people like this want to be remembered above all else...aside from just making swimming pool fulls of money.