Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did it turn out?

neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I was one of those people who played DAoC for a very short time after release and then went back to *ahem* my old game (EQ). Now I am pretty tired of my old game, and I was thinking about trying something new. It's been a good long time since the release of DAoC, so I was wondering how it has changed, and whether or not it might be worth my time and money to try again. Any specifics you can tell me about how the game has developed, what the expansions were like, etc, would be helpful in making my decision.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    DAoC forces you to group...and well groups are very hard to find.  I found that n00bs aren't really acknowledged.  It's like AC at this point, if you haven't already played a while and have a higher level, don't bother.  You might want to wait for something good such as lineage 2 or horizons.

I don't know what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    ~Albert Einstein

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by dekron
    DAoC forces you to group...and well groups are very hard to find.  I found that n00bs aren't really acknowledged.  It's like AC at this point, if you haven't already played a while and have a higher level, don't bother.  You might want to wait for something good such as lineage 2 or horizons.

Thanks. I think that is pretty much what I really wanted to know. I'd be starting from scratch, and I don't really know anyone else that plays now, so I guess I will pass and wait for something else.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

First of all, It doesn't force you into groups. Second, this game is for everyone because it has a little bit of everything. Depending on how you play it will determine how long you play it. If you play a bad class that you don't like and pout and fuss you will quit early. If you tackle stuff that cons purple to you and always die and because you are too stubborn you keep doing it; you will quit early on. The treadmill is NOT bad. It is a bit higher becasue there are only 50 levels. Think about that, hotpantz.

Open your eyes, close your mouth, and make a fist.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I just got DAoC a month ago and it makes a hell of a game if your one of the people who are waiting until the new games come out and are very impatient like me image.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Kiamde

First of all, It doesn't force you into groups. Second, this game is for everyone because it has a little bit of everything. Depending on how you play it will determine how long you play it. If you play a bad class that you don't like and pout and fuss you will quit early. If you tackle stuff that cons purple to you and always die and because you are too stubborn you keep doing it; you will quit early on. The treadmill is NOT bad. It is a bit higher becasue there are only 50 levels. Think about that, hotpantz.

Dang dude chill.  I was giving my opinion, you have yours.  Just because I don't agree with you you don't have to get all mad.  He asked for Pros and Cons.  Everyone isn't going to agree with you, as simple as that.  I just beleive that it isn't a good game.  Learn some tolerance.

I don't know what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    ~Albert Einstein

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855
    new players are seen a sought after for guilds and groups but also thats what /who and /who level ?? is for. my guild right now has alot of new players and its really nice. he wasnt getting mad just pointing out the differant reasons why people dont like it.

• TarquethTarqueth Member UncommonPosts: 26

Ok, I'm going to jump into the frey here.  DAoC is a great game.  I actually quit playing it a short time after it's first Expansion due to... well... umm, it was time I had to take the garbage out.  Yeah, I was neglecting RL duties hehe.

You are not forced to group in DAoC.  Most stealthers won't even consider grouping.  Lyonman is correct, new players are sought after for guilds.  Just don't make the mistake of getting into a guild and begging people for everything.  A good guild will help you but they shouldn't have to hold your hand.. when I say your I'm referring to anyone.  DAoC has done ALOT of nerfing since it went live.  The expansion SI brought about new classes and in some casses, new races.  They have a Co-op only server now.  There are just too many changes to list.  I'm sure they have made some changes since I left about 7 months ago. 

I miss DAoC but i'm waiting for WoW to hit the market... and by the time it does I should be able to afford an entire new system and monitor!!!

~Tarqueth~

~Tarqueth~

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I am leaning toward trying it out for a month. Maybe I will meet new people and have a little fun. image

I have a couple of quick follow-up questions: Are the original game areas still in use by newbies? (That is, will I feel really left out without any expansions to start with?) How does the Co-op only server work? No RvR? Are there some servers that have a reputation of being more newbie friendly than others? (I think I want to play on the side of Hibernia this time, if that helps.)

Thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts.

I am looking forward to WoW, as well as some of the other games, too. I thought I would just check into some games I haven't played in a long while, like DAoC, while I am waiting.

Yes you can play the original but the only DAOC game you can buy is the gold pack, which has shrouded isles. Don't buy Trials of Atlantis till your character is around level 40. Dont play Co-op. It is one of the emptiest servers and normal mode is exactly the same, except that you only get your realm and you can play RVR. You wont travel to other realms very often ne ways::;^`:: Too long of a trip. Play Merlin server too, as all the forum people-like me and Rathma and Lucuyer- play Merlin. It is a friendly server.

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

I bought the game at release, so I still have the original game without Shrouded Isles. I have to admit that I am being cheap at the moment. I figured I might as well see what I think about it now before I buy anything else. Anyway, it's too close to Christmas, and I have kids to buy presents for. image 

Thanks for the info.

Yep, 20 bucks with 1 free month is a pretty nasty price.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

I would suggest buying the gold edition.  It has shrouded isles and also the housing zone (which is a hefty download itself).  If you want to mess around a bit in different realms, but have the ability to have your characters "meet" each other to exchange goods and gold (thru a mediary), the co-op server is nice.  You can create up to 24 characters on the co-op server (8 on each realm) and they can all travel from realm to realm.

When you're ready to really concentrate on a particular class/realm (you should have a good idea what you like by level 20), switch to a regular server.  LEVEL 20????  This is not EQ and you can get to level 20 fairly quickly by doing kill tasks.  Kill tasks tend to go quicker in Shrouded Isles than in the old world - there seems to be lots more named guards packed closer together.  Kill tasks also lead you to mobs that should be in your kill range. 

When you enter the game, you're automatically put into the area's newbie guild.  Feel free to stay there a while or look for another guild to join. 

A couple tips for choosing a regular server:  Remember that each server is broken up into 3 realms.  Some servers are very underpopulated so check on camelotherald.com and make sure the server you want to join has an adequate population at the time you usually play.  For instance, if a server has 900 people online, figure about 300 per realm. 

Tips for choosing a guild:  Choose a guild that seems to have a lot of people on at the same times you are.  Otherwise you will be very lonely.  You can check guild membership and activity at the camelot herald site also.

Originally posted by Kiamde Yep, 20 bucks with 1 free month is a pretty nasty price. Open your eyes, close your mouth, and make a fist.

Hehehe... I had not even bothered to look into how much it would cost. I know $20 doesn't seem like anything, but I am buying presents for 5 kids, 3 of whom are teenagers. They want expensive toys, so I haven't been keen on spending anything I don't have to. But I suppose the free month makes it work out cheaper to try it that way anyway,if I bother at all. After talking to my husband this morning, I think I am just going to hang up my MMORPG dancing shoes. He's still playing EQ, and I don't feel like fighting about it. (Long story, TMI, so we'll just leave it at that.)

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Also note that you DO NOT have to enter you Credit Card information until your 30 days is up. You can also pay by cash for DAoC at www.paybycash.com.

DAoC does not force you to group. I soloed the entire level of 46 (and many others), I'm a rej cleric. All classes can solo, although some a better than others.

Since DAoC isn't centered artound guild elitism, you can do just about everything never joining a guild. So don't feel presured into joining one.

-=-=-=-=-
    "EQ was once a great game. I wont deny it, but so was Asteroids. And just like Pong, EQ is obsolete by newer game standards."

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

A rejuv cleric soloing to 46??? I MUST know how you did this? And how long did it take you? Two years? Or do you mean you soloed level 46 only?

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

I soloed to about level 25ish. Kill tasks are nice. Off and on, in the 30's. 40-45 all groups all the time in AC. By 45 I was sick of AC, and I killed the Statues near Anatole for the entire level. I play about 2-4 hours a night, 5 nights a week. Took me about week and half.

The point is, there is no need to group unless you really want to.  Sure things happen quicker in groups, but you can get there without them.

1-50 in DAoC took 14 played days, took 114 played days to get 60 in EQ. (50apx played days to get to 50)

-=-=-=-=-
    "EQ was once a great game. I wont deny it, but so was Asteroids. And just like Pong, EQ is obsolete by newer game standards."

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

I agree with you. In fact, there are some classes that are better solo than grouped, the necromancer and bonedancer being the two that come most readily to mind.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Soloed an Enchanter to 20 before i quit and it was fairly easy. Helps when you have a pet.

• kincakinca Member Posts: 3

Bunk.."don't play co-op!"  It was the best thing that happened to Daoc.  You have 3X the land to investigate and people to play with!  I loved it..it simply got old for me and then I beta tested Horizons for 3 mos.  That's where I'll be spending the next couple of years now.

The single server or "standar" servers is where the competion is, if that's what you want.  I haven't cancelled my daoc yet, but I will.  Even during this time I have to wait for Hz, I haven't been back to play daoc. Working together as a community is what Horizons is about, reclaiming the land from mobs and building and rebuilding the ruins together.  Flying dragons should be fun also. I'm really looking forward to it.image