Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Diablo 3 and Path of Exile

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
edited December 2015 in Diablo 3
I just started playing Path of Exile and between watching the videos on it I got a bit nostalgic for Diablo 3 too. I wanted to ask a  few questions on both games since I am playing both.

I am not interested in playing either beyond normal. I seldom play beyond that as the grinding is too much for me but I was wondering If I played D3 and collected just the normal gear drops will I be able to finish the story. I am not interested in anything but finishing the main game in normal is all. Will I be forced to farm for upgrades or will what items that drop be sufficient ?

I read about salvaging everything at the Blacksmith but if I do not craft any weapon will the drops be sufficient. I just want an idea how much time I might have to invest in playing and advancing .

Then about Path of Exile I have several skills drop and although I watched several videos I was not very sure but can you equip any skill on any gear even like a boot for a skill with a weapon or must I wait for armour skill to equip it there. 

Sorry if my questions are clueless but after watching some videos I still was not too sure about this aspect although I did understand the levelling the gem thing. I am in Fetid Pools now.

Also when the slots are connected can I still put two weapon skills on there or only weapon skill and the others as supporting or can I use 2 skills that are weapon skills like for instance Poison Arrow and Burning Arrow with multiple Projectile on Burning and increase damage support on Poison all one armour piece like the chest piece.
Chamber of Chains

Comments

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited December 2015
    In Path of Exile it doesn't matter where you place your skillgems, you can have a weapon skill in your boots for example.

Chest armours and two-handed weapons are the only items that can have a maximum of 6 slots for skillgems. Skillgems in those slots become more powerful since they can be linked to two more support gems than skillgems in other items where 4 gems is the max, that's nothing to worry about on normal mode however :]

edit: You can have two weapon skills linked to support gems in the same item and they will both get the same bonuses from the linked support gems.

My advice for PoE is to just play the game and figure this stuff out while you play, through experimentation, that's part of the fun. There's no need to research too much before playing.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    D3 you can easily beat on normal diff without worrying about gear farming or your level, hell you could do it naked.
    PoE is more difficult, but if you pick a build strategy that is less gear reliant, it is totally doable. However, if you don't know what you are doing and go without a plan, you could easily end up with a character that cannot complete the game on normal diff.
    D3 is smooth and casual friendly, PoE is rewarding but very frustrating at times and you need a higher degree in PoE-Math to unlock its full potential.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Thank you both. I did research a build for my ranger in PoE and am using a build I got from that because I was a bit afraid of screwing up. I will play and have fun and thanks.
    Chamber of Chains
    I do agree the complexity in Path of Exile has its advantages in making the game last longer as you can play around with so many builds but that huge galaxy of attributes can be daunting . I do see how many debates and interesting ideas it has spawned with just a  few hours of reading the forums. I like the game it is defintely more like D2 than D3 is I agree.
    Chamber of Chains
    What the hell happened to Diablo 3 why is it so much easier and I am getting orange weapons and armour meant for my class. I finished the first act so fast. The last time I played I came close to dying a few times this time my hp hardly dropped.
    Chamber of Chains
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    cheyane said:
    What the hell happened to Diablo 3 why is it so much easier and I am getting orange weapons and armour meant for my class. I finished the first act so fast. The last time I played I came close to dying a few times this time my hp hardly dropped.
    did you put it on a harder difficulty? D3 is literally as hard as you want it to be.
  • ZombaisZombais Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Yeah, D3 you can set the level from the get go now (no need to run through the campaign on each progressive level). I think normal is a waste of time, its not even challenging for someone brand new. Move it up a few levels (at your character screen) and it will get a bit harder.. nothing to write home about but you might end up dying.

They also did something called smart drops so you will see more items for your class then items you can't even use.. makes it a bit easier to get gear. I think there is an option to turn that off though... if you want to see Barb items drop for your Demon Hunter.
    Ahh thanks I upped difficulty.
    Chamber of Chains
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    normal is good for if you are grinding bounties for materials or if you are just starting out on hardcore, that's about it.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    the interesting thing about POE is that it almost nerfs you to play the class traditionally as you would think

like for example sometimes the best "rangers" are Marauders, and the best Melee can be Rangers

you can play a Bow/Ranger but very few do.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    You can beat PoE and D3 in Normal without grinding.

You can place any skill gem in any slot of gear in PoE. Basically linking is upgrading your main attack skill. If it's Arc, then you can put Arc and Faster Casting in a 2 linked item, if it's 3, Arc, Faster Casting, Lightning Pen, ect.

You don't link two main attack skills together.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited January 2016
    Foncl said:

My advice for PoE is to just play the game and figure this stuff out while you play, through experimentation, that's part of the fun. There's no need to research too much before playing.
    I disagree with this since you can't do full respecs and undo your mistakes.  I'd suggest starting with a build posted on the forums that sounds interesting and is targeted for beginners.  There's a lot to learn beyond just the passive tree that making it up as you go on the first run may turn you off later on knowing you need to reroll.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Foncl said:

I disagree with this since you can't do full respecs and undo your mistakes.  I'd suggest starting with a build posted on the forums that sounds interesting and is targeted for beginners.  There's a lot to learn beyond just the passive tree that making it up as you go on the first run may turn you off later on knowing you need to reroll.
    Yep, for sure.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    D3 has many difficulties .. no one should complain that it is too easy, or too hard. The easiest one is trivial, and the hardest one ... well .. there is no hardest one. The max is like Grift 89 in the US (for solo).