Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Speech Denied, SC moving to become a 1984 universe?

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Personally I like it. It needs to be done more often. Too often people use the excuse of freedom of speech to spread toxicity and it's become pandemic. Now we're breeding a society of bullies under the guise of freedom of speech. Ban away!!!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    *Hangs out in bar*

"Aye man that Star Citizen game is the biggest scam this side of the earth bro. I can't believe I bought one of those POS ships. Oh by the way my name is [insert name]."

*CIG employee hangs out in this particular bar to gauge player sentiment*

"We regret to inform you, your account has been banned for toxic behavior"

XD. Totally petty classless POS dick move by the company who is way too in the weeds, but has nothing to do with freedom of speech. They didn't violate anyones right to speak. What they did do is treat the guy like the child he is and take away his toy beause they know deep down he still wants it.

You guys have to learn how to tell these developers/publishers to f#%k off and WALK AWAY like adults. When you're a child you can get punished and maniplulated like one. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Why do people insist they have the Freedom of speech to post on other people's media? The idea is ridiculous. You have freedom of speech to go and start your own blog on the web. What about the rights of the people who own the media?

Get a clue.....You don't own the board, so you don't own the right!
    There are people, such as myself, that consider freedom of speech to be a virtue even though it is not a right enforced by the government in every aspect of society. It makes sense that people get upset when people reduce the freedom of speech regardless of whether or not it was their right to begin with.
    You are missing the point.

CIG has the freedom of speech on their board. They allow you to post according to their freedom. It's their board. 

This isn't subjective. It is what it is. CIG opened their boards with CIG's freedom and extended you a courtesy to post on it, but they did not extend their full freedom to you.

There's no violation of rights here. Being able to say whatever you want on their forums with out them having any authority over their own property would be however.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    tawess said:
    Well the the customer use the "right"  # then there is not much need to "stalk" then now is there. =P Especially is said person also inlcudes actual threats... real or not. 

The days of the top web being a free for all, lawless playground are gone. Now even this you do on the web have effects on reality. 
    Are you defending this? You do understand this was outside of SC's forums right?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited January 2016
    Why do people insist they have the Freedom of speech to post on other people's media? The idea is ridiculous. You have freedom of speech to go and start your own blog on the web. What about the rights of the people who own the media?

There are people, such as myself, that consider freedom of speech to be a virtue even though it is not a right enforced by the government in every aspect of society. It makes sense that people get upset when people reduce the freedom of speech regardless of whether or not it was their right to begin with.
    Free speech is not the same as unlimited and unopposed speech. Especially as the person in question here comes from a group known for making a game out of causing disruption and grief. 

Much like how i, if i ran a media outlet would tell the press-office of mr Trump that he will never ever get as much as a by-line in my media. That is not me curtailing free speech. That is me exercising my rights. =P

They simply said "be an arse and we do not want you on our official board." 

Just as Tywin Lannister told Joffrey-"Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king. ', the same goes for Star Citizen - " Any game that must ban it's critics, is not truly a  good game".

Well now. Nothing stops this person from posting all over the entire internet, just the official forums. The only difference from pretty much every other company is that your infractions do not need to happen on the official forum for you to be given a little vacation. 

This have been a good conversation

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Kyleran said:
    vorpal28 said:: 
    Ok first a link...

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/01/star-citizen-backers-can-be-perma-banned-for-off-site-activity/

It would seem that you can no longer criticize Star Citizen, without facing the chance of being banned.

As a long time supporter of SC (and backer) I find this more than slightly worrying, while I find that the notion of free speech can be overused sometimes, don't we as users/backers/supporters have a right to say something negative about SC without getting banned?
    no, you don't. You gave your money, now your options are:

1. Sit back and wait
    2. ................

Yeah, I think that about covers it.
    3. Ask for a refund and walk away? (your mileage may vary)
    I chose option 3 myself.

I think this move to monitor discussion about SC on another forum and then take action on their forum is extremely dodgy.

I don't think it was a smart move by the way, this is just going to get more of the unsavory Eve players motivated. Could back fire and rally them to go out of their way to tank the game through harassing players.

Burn Jita moving to SC....duh duh duh.

This was not on Star Citizen's board. Did you read? If you talk bad about the game on this forum SC will ban you if they can link you with your account.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    *Hangs out in bar*

"Aye man that Star Citizen game is the biggest scam this side of the earth bro. I can't believe I bought one of those POS ships. Oh by the way my name is [insert name]."

*CIG employee hangs out in this particular bar to gauge player sentiment*

"We regret to inform you, your account has been banned for toxic behavior"

XD. Totally petty classless POS dick move by the company who is way too in the weeds, but has nothing to do with freedom of speech. They didn't violate anyones right to speak. What they did do is treat the guy like the child he is and take away his toy beause they know deep down he still wants it.

You guys have to learn how to tell these developers/publishers to f#%k off and WALK AWAY like adults. When you're a child you can get punished and maniplulated like one. 
    Actively punishing a person for what they say is very much an active attempt to reduce the freedom any person has when it comes to what they say. A such act opposes the idea of freedom of speech. You truly dont want freedom of speech if you are going to punish people when they say things you strongly dislike.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    So they banned someone for something that was said on a board that was not  the SC board. That is screwed up if it is true. I understand if it is on their own board but this is wrong.

Kyleran said:
    You should read the linked article before commenting it states they are banning people for posting things on another independent forum somethingawful.com, not the official forums
    Are you serious ?

So it's OK to insult and slander someone in public, as long as you don't do it to their face ?

What does it matter where the trashtalk is posted ? The relevant fact is that it was posted in a place where everyone could see it.

You can't be a quiet and respectful group member when you're in the company of the group, and then badmouth them when you're out of earshot. They will find out sooner or later, and then you have to face the consequences.

The internet is not some special place where common social rules do not apply, lol.
    Wow. It is amazing what gamers will be willing to accept. You would have done well as a KGB agent in Soviet Russia. I can't believe anyone is actually defending this practice. You should not be banned from official forums because of something you say on a 3rd party forum. This is unprecedented for a reason, it is insane.
    tawess said:

Free speech is not the same as unlimited and unopposed speech. Especially as the person in question here comes from a group known for making a game out of causing disruption and grief. 

Much like how i, if i ran a media outlet would tell the press-office of mr Trump that he will never ever get as much as a by-line in my media. That is not me curtailing free speech. That is me exercising my rights. =P

They simply said "be an arse and we do not want you on our official board." 
    Truly free speech is indeed unlimited free speech. Different countries allow different degrees of freedom, no country as far as I know allows true free speech. It depends on opposition, if the opposition is just in form of other people stating their minds with words then sure that's fine, but it when comes to actively punishing the person like getting the person fired that stands against what the virtue of freedom of speech is about.

If you will punish people who state things you strongly dislike if you have the possibility to do so, then you are against freedom of speech.
    How can you defend a practice that allows a company to ban me from their boards for something I said on another board that they do not own ? This makes sense to you ? It is indefensible.

edited January 2016
    kitarad said:
    How can you defend a practice that allows a company to ban me from their boards for something I said on another board that they do not own ? This makes sense to you ? It is indefensible.
    If you believe in punishing people for what they say, then it is defensible. The difficulties lies in being certain that it is the correct person being punished. 

Edit: For instance, it isn't unheard of that people get fired for what they say on their personal twitter/facebook accounts. 
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Freedom of speech = Freedom to say whatever you want to. It does not mean you are free from the consequences of your actions.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    If this all turns out true, that a person was banned from anything to which they contributed crowdfunding because they posted anything on "some other discussion forum", I will not buy Star Citizen, and I will explain to friends the reason I've made this choice. One or two incidents don't prove a conspiracy, but I'm a huge opponent of internet stalking.
    Freedom of speech = Freedom to say whatever you want to. It does not mean you are free from the consequences of your actions.
    If you are actively punishing people for what they say, then you are attempting to reduce their freedom of speech. I.e. you are really against freedom of speech.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    True free speech is still not unopposed speech. Everything you say can and will have repercussions. In this case it is "act in a NEGATIVE way that does not line up with the values of the community and be excluded from said community" 

And again... you can call it what you like.. "true freedom of speech" or some other naive crap... But the matter of fact is that this action does in NO way shape or form infringe on the legal definition of freedom of speech. It only impacts peoples ability to be disruptive arses. 

Now do come back when someone have been banned from the SC forums for posting a civil and well formed criticism. Then we MIGHT be able to start talking. As for now they just said that a people who act like or associate with trolls and arsehats will not have a place on the official board. 

This have been a good conversation

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Viper482 said:

This was not on Star Citizen's board. Did you read? If you talk bad about the game on this forum SC will ban you if they can link you with your account.
    Who owns the board? Not the one posted on, the one banned from?

This is wrong guys and a company that does this has something to hide for sure. For them to go to this extent of stalking posters. Shame on them.

Viper482 said:

Who owns the board? Not the one posted on, the one banned from?

Correct. It's as if the banned people had posted here.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Kyleran said:
    3. Ask for a refund and walk away? (your mileage may vary)
    My understanding is that they are no longer providing refunds.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited January 2016
    We all use aliases on boards so how did they track that person as being the same person. So they contacted the people in charge of the other board and obtained that information. So the people in charge of the other board allowed SC to check this person's IP and so on? 

Don't you guys find this disturbing ?

I don't blame people for becoming upset. With over 100 million they should have cranked something out by now, with all the data entry performed by trained circus chimps.
    kitarad said:
    We all use aliases on boards so how did they track that person as being the same person. So they contacted the people in charge of the other board and obtained that information. So the people in charge of the other board allowed SC to check this person's IP and so on? 

Don't you guys find this disturbing ?
    Maybe he used the same moniker? It doesn't matter, though.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2016
    Viper482 said:

Wow. It is amazing what gamers will be willing to accept. You would have done well as a KGB agent in Soviet Russia. I can't believe anyone is actually defending this practice. You should not be banned from official forums because of something you say on a 3rd party forum. This is unprecedented for a reason, it is insane.
    Calm down, are most actually supporting it? Acknowledging the reality of it is something else entirely. As for accepting it.. folks don't have much choice, if they ban people they ban people.... insane or not... Freedom of speech working as intended, he said what he wanted to say, they acted how they wanted to act...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson