Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Speech Denied, SC moving to become a 1984 universe?

VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
Ok first a link...

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/01/star-citizen-backers-can-be-perma-banned-for-off-site-activity/

It would seem that you can no longer criticize Star Citizen, without facing the chance of being banned.

As a long time supporter of SC (and backer) I find this more than slightly worrying, while I find that the notion of free speech can be overused sometimes, don't we as users/backers/supporters have a right to say something negative about SC without getting banned?
“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
― Terry PratchettMaking Money

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Pick an alias. Talk your s#!t. Problem solved.

The fact that they're this in the weeds is indeed ridiculous but why make it easy for them to be petty?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Oh don't worry the SC news network already covered this and was trying so very hard to poke holes in the article when it just succeeded in pokes holes in it's own argument. Should go have a read, its good for a laugh. I'm sure someone will be around shortly to link to it.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well if you act like a total tool and put the smackdown on the company. Why would they like you as a customer? 

Not saying what they do is necessarily right but the internet is not a magic place where all responsibility goes away. If you strive to be a nice and balanced person i have a hard time seeing them banning you for critizeing them. Thing is... The people who get all twisted about this are the same people who get bent out of shape about "PK" when in reality they are angry for not being able to be arseholes. 

Also there is a fair bit between what CI does and a Orwellian dystopia... Just saying. 

This have been a good conversation

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    No. Stalking users on twitter and elsewhere on the web is normal accepted business practice of gaming companies... nothing unusual happening here at all :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Well the the customer use the "right"  # then there is not much need to "stalk" then now is there. =P Especially is said person also inlcudes actual threats... real or not. 

The days of the top web being a free for all, lawless playground are gone. Now even this you do on the web have effects on reality. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    tawess said:
    Well the the customer use the "right"  # then there is not much need to "stalk" then now is there. =P Especially is said person also inlcudes actual threats... real or not. 

The days of the top web being a free for all, lawless playground are gone. Now even this you do on the web have effects on reality. 
    Yes. I'm sure there are tally sheets out there with an "Iselin" column. I'm guessing the NSA, CIA, MI6, Scientology and  CIG have me on their books. Any other gaming company in the world? Nah... I doubt it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    It's well within their rights to do so, but that certainly doesn't make it any less ridiculous or pathetic. I'm also not the least bit surprised. Remember, this is the same guy (Roberts) who threw a hissy fit and threatened to stop talking to the media because they didn't lick his boots when the Arena Commander was released. That whole episode was nothing compared to what he / they did about the whole Derek Smart fiasco just a few short months back. 

They can't take criticism or negativity, they refuse to be held accountable for the money they've been given, and they often resort to character assassination and libel to shout down detractors. If you don't see the red flags at this point, then you're color blind. Even the usual cheerleaders for the game have been fairly silent lately. 

On the positive side, this game has provided quite a bit of entertainment, especially for one which I haven't paid for and isn't anywhere close to release. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Talking smack will get you a smackdown ! :D 

I have never seen anyone banned for constructive criticism on any forum. It's often not what you say, but how you say it that makes the difference.

I have seen plenty of people banned for exercising their "right of free speech", which on the internet apparently includes filthy language, threats, slander, incitement to riot and a raft of other unsavoury things that would result in far worse than a "forum ban" in real life.

People are very brave on the anonymous internet.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Honestly, i don't like this business practice, stalking customers in social media is just plain wrong.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

But stalking a company´s employees otoh is fully ok it seems.... judging by some of the topics in the SC section. =P 

Anyway... this is still not related to free speech. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Honestly, i don't like this business practice, stalking customers in social media is just plain wrong.
    That is a bit crazy, yeah. Although I do somewhat understand where they're coming from...
    I'm just going wait for the outrage now of someone who's dropped several hundred bucks on that game, getting banned for running his mouth on some other site. It'll be priceless. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The underlying theme is CI is monitoring communications on Something Awful, aka the Goons, and this does not surprise me.

I'm sure they are aware of the huge influence and impact the Goons have had on EVE and it would not surprise me if there was a definitive anti Goon strategy in place.

Associate with Goons, expect to be banned is the message I got, and I can't say I blame them for trying to prevent their sort of "emergent" game play from being brought to SC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Talking smack will get you a smackdown ! :D 

I have never seen anyone banned for constructive criticism on any forum. It's often not what you say, but how you say it that makes the difference.

I have seen plenty of people banned for exercising their "right of free speech", which on the internet apparently includes filthy language, threats, slander, incitement to riot and a raft of other unsavoury things that would result in far worse than a "forum ban" in real life.

People are very brave on the anonymous internet.
    Absolutely. Everyone has their right to an opinion and as long as you phrase it politely there's nothing wrong with criticism. Going on a rant and using abusive language should get you banned. Using a well worded argument to get your point across shouldn't, regardless of whether it's for or against.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited January 2016
    vorpal28 said:
    Ok first a link...

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/01/star-citizen-backers-can-be-perma-banned-for-off-site-activity/

It would seem that you can no longer criticize Star Citizen, without facing the chance of being banned.

As a long time supporter of SC (and backer) I find this more than slightly worrying, while I find that the notion of free speech can be overused sometimes, don't we as users/backers/supporters have a right to say something negative about SC without getting banned?
    This applies to almost any games official forums though, you have zero free speech rights on the internet or in private property.

I've been banned from multiple official game forums for telling it like it is and the moderators paid by the company that runs the game want to silence you but I completely understand why they do it.  This is pretty obvious isn't it?

They own the forum, why should they let you trash talk their companies product on their forum?  Just paying money doesn't let you hate on a game on their property.
    Post edited by scorpex-x on
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    vorpal28 said:
    Ok first a link...

OK .... second .. another link ....

http://imperialnews.network/2016/01/drama-the-responsening/

Priceless .... Beer4TheBeerGod, a member of the SomethingAweful.com community (yes, they who IMHO wrote the manual on being toxic and are proud of it)  calling the SC community "toxic" ..... ROFL .... Good riddance, Goonie ! Just because he sends some honey-worded mails to SC customer support does not negate his usual rants (of which you can find an example in another thread on this subforum (page 2, "Actual retrospective of ....").

Have fun

edited January 2016
    scorpex-x said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Ok first a link...

This applies to almost any games official forums though, you have zero free speech rights on the internet or in private property.

I've been banned from multiple official game forums for telling it like it is and the moderators paid by the company that runs the game want to silence you but I completely understand why they do it.  This is pretty obvious isn't it?

They own the forum, why should they let you trash talk their companies product on their forum?  Just paying money doesn't let you hate on a game on their property.
    You should read the linked article before commenting it states they are banning people for posting things on another independent forum somethingawful.com, not the official forums

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    vorpal28 said:
    Ok first a link...

no, you don't. You gave your money, now your options are:

1. Sit back and wait
    2. ................

Yeah, I think that about covers it.
    vorpal28 said:: 
    Ok first a link...

no, you don't. You gave your money, now your options are:

1. Sit back and wait
    2. ................

Yeah, I think that about covers it.
    3. Ask for a refund and walk away? (your mileage may vary)

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited January 2016

The title is severely misleading and I think I'm going to report it.  He was banned from using forums and that's all.  He wasn't banned from the game itself.  I can agree or disagree with what they did but if he really was becoming extremely toxic outside of their forums it was wise to ban him from doing the same on their own forums as a preventative measure.

I'm talking about the title of the article not the OP's title.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    You should read the linked article before commenting it states they are banning people for posting things on another independent forum somethingawful.com, not the official forums
    Are you serious ?

So it's OK to insult and slander someone in public, as long as you don't do it to their face ?

What does it matter where the trashtalk is posted ? The relevant fact is that it was posted in a place where everyone could see it.

You can't be a quiet and respectful group member when you're in the company of the group, and then badmouth them when you're out of earshot. They will find out sooner or later, and then you have to face the consequences.

The internet is not some special place where common social rules do not apply, lol.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    scorpex-x said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Ok first a link...

Let's be clear here that the ban is from the forums, not the game.

The guy also was banned for what he did on the RSI forums not the SA forums.  From what I read he started posting there AFTER he was banned on the RSI forums. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited January 2016
    Let's be clear here that the ban is from the forums, not the game.

The guy also was banned for what he did on the RSI forums not the SA forums.  From what I read he started posting there AFTER he was banned on the RSI forums. 
    Yep - he can still play the game. But not post in the official forums for the next years.

He was banned for his rants on the RSI forums. For the third official offense  (he whines about him being allowed to have five opportunities to post shit before he should be permabanned). He posted a lot more rants than those three ... or five.

He posted on reddit/SC or somethingawful.com well before he was banned on the RSI forum. The reddit rant post I linked was over a year ago. On somethingawful .. many more years (2008 or earlier, usually about EVE Online).

Have fun
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Why do people insist they have the Freedom of speech to post on other people's media? The idea is ridiculous. You have freedom of speech to go and start your own blog on the web. What about the rights of the people who own the media?

Get a clue.....You don't own the board, so you don't own the right!
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Why do people insist they have the Freedom of speech to post on other people's media? The idea is ridiculous. You have freedom of speech to go and start your own blog on the web. What about the rights of the people who own the media?

Get a clue.....You don't own the board, so you don't own the right!
    There are people, such as myself, that consider freedom of speech to be a virtue even though it is not a right enforced by the government in every aspect of society. It makes sense that people get upset when people reduce the freedom of speech regardless of whether or not it was their right to begin with.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited January 2016
    Just as Tywin Lannister told Joffrey-"Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king. ', the same goes for Star Citizen - " Any game that must ban it's critics, is not truly a  good game".