Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elderscrollsonline $1,000,000 advertisement fail?

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
So I woke up this morning and seen an email that Elderscrollsonline sent me an email 1/9/2016 and was giving away $1,000,000 if I entered and played the game.  Naturally like any normal sane person would, I quickly read the email to see how I could be a millionaire!

"Sad Panda!" I said after reading it.   It showed that it has ended on 1/10/2016.  So I say, HEY WAIT A MINUTE!  I wanted a chance at winning!  How did I not see this before?   Was this only a one day give away?!  So I go to the site to see just how long this offer was going on for...

It shows DEC 2 as the start date of this give away!   So I go back to my email and thinking I was seanile for not seeing some offer for 1 million in cold hard cash, and scroll through my past emails.  This is what I found:

1/9/2016   Elderscrollsonline     Your last chance to win $1,000,000 (USD)*

12/23/2015   Elderscrollsonline    Exclusive mounts available now in the crown store!

12/2/2015   NOTHING!  Absolutely Nothing!  NO AD for any million dollars nothing, zippo not a thing!

So there ya have it, Not a single email was found about a advertisment campaign that was running from Dec 2, 2015  a  whole MONTH and not a single email about $1,000,000.   So what happened?   Why did they not send out an email about the "Play the game" for $1,000,000???

What do you think, do you think their advertisment campaign failed?   I think you probably already know my answer to that question, cause I did not download the game and play which I think was their ultimate goal of this million dollars...  Since I had ONLY 24 hours to check my email and PLAY the game,  I now feel like I missed out on 1 million big ones, and wont be downloading the game or playing now, so to me a FAIL!

Was their advertisement campaign a failure?

Yes or No?

Comments

• DomocusDomocus Member UncommonPosts: 11
    A majority of players weren't even eligible for the campaign.

I wasn't, although it had nothing to do with my state's laws. I was enjoying the game thoroughly until this campaign came along. Could've offered something to dedicated players to bring others into the game, rather than relying on campaigns like this.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Dude this was well advertised and discussed even here in many threads with a lot of bitching by those of us in Florida that were not eligible.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'd say no, though I get what you're saying about email notice. Still, every site on the planet covered the giveaway extensively, including us! :dizzy:

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/37381/Elder-Scrolls-Online-MillionReasonsToPlay-Now-Also-Includes-a-Million-Dollars.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    You have got to be joking! You're complaining about that?! FAIL!
  • fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I check my emails usually for buzz on games before coming here.  Next time I'll check here to see news about games I play first, instead of the actual game company's news about their own games? LOL  What ever works better right B)
    After thought...   If this was such a big deal why wasnt any emails sent to me about it!!!  I usually wait for the age of conan mount mails before I return or the huge savings in a game I'll get before returning...   If you dont even email your own Player Base about a contest...  how do you expect returning players?

I would think websites are just a fraction of the players that play the games...  the player base who they targeted would have had to go to a gaming website to find out... thats horrible as far as advertisments go.  Here I was playing ffxi for the last month straight and only checking my email.  I know there must be others like me as well.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If I don't win this it will be a huge fail!!!
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    So it failed for you = failed for everyone.  Maybe the failure = you?
  • Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    You should have gotten something, I know that I received two emails from them. The one on 1/9 and one sometime in December.
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    I got an email before it started, during the campaign and a final notice.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    fistorm said:
    After thought...   If this was such a big deal why wasnt any emails sent to me about it!!!  I usually wait for the age of conan mount mails before I return or the huge savings in a game I'll get before returning...   If you dont even email your own Player Base about a contest...  how do you expect returning players?

I would think websites are just a fraction of the players that play the games...  the player base who they targeted would have had to go to a gaming website to find out... thats horrible as far as advertisments go.  Here I was playing ffxi for the last month straight and only checking my email.  I know there must be others like me as well.

My guess is that returning players are not the ones that were targetted by this campaign, they were more interested in new players, who, in order to participate, had to buy the game, therefore generating profit for company. Former players could just login and participate without spending anything.

If that's the case then I wouldn't consider this campaign a failure, it was big news in gaming media everywhere.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Greme said:
    fistorm said:

My guess is that returning players are not the ones that were targetted by this campaign, they were more interested in new players, who, in order to participate, had to buy the game, therefore generating profit for company. Former players could just login and participate without spending anything.

If that's the case then I wouldn't consider this campaign a failure, it was big news in gaming media everywhere.

They also dropped the price of the game to £20 on all platforms, so they really are aiming to get as many new players as possible, returning players are, as you stated, probably not a priority as they already have the game.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    It is sad that a company is soo much in need of players that they try to bate them with teh chance on winning 1 mil. ggwp noobs- for me ESO is dead and has been so almost since release. 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Phry said:
    Greme said:
    fistorm said:

They also dropped the price of the game to £20 on all platforms, so they really are aiming to get as many new players as possible, returning players are, as you stated, probably not a priority as they already have the game.
    The more I think about it, the more I would have to agree with you guys.  The fact is, I had the game already and alot of crowns from earlier subs with nothing I wanted to spend them on...   so I wouldnt really have spent any cash myself on the game if I had returned anyway.   That means new players are probably the only real people who are going to spend cash on this game.  I agree 100% with you two.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Zenimax does something squirrely? say is aint so!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34

This is a big deal how? You seriously thought you might have a chance to win? Every time I logged onto my PS4 to play ESO is saw this damn announcement and not once did I think it could be me winning and like others have said there were  multiple articles about this lottery type thing you just haven't noticed.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited January 2016
    people are scrambling for new things to complain about now it seems. i'm surprised the OP didn't cancel his sub over this! 
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Phry said:
    Greme said:
    fistorm said:

You might want to correct that statement. ESO has been 20€ on all platforms only during christmas holiday sales. Right now it's 60€ and it doesn't seem like there will be any discount in at least the next 6 months (probably won't go below 40€ in the summer).
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    I dont know... Personly i think the reward should have been something all ESO players would be eligable for. Even if it had just been a pet for playing X amount of hours in December, a mount for playing X more hours and a costume for playing X more hours.

A million dollars sounds cool though,  and i guess it will stur up the media and get publicity.  It made me look an extra time,  but ofc. i wasn't eligable.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Read the fine print .. If you didn't get an email, it was because you were flagged for inappropriate conduct in game such as the use of fowl or abusive language.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    josko9 said:

You might want to correct that statement. ESO has been 20€ on all platforms only during christmas holiday sales. Right now it's 60€ and it doesn't seem like there will be any discount in at least the next 6 months (probably won't go below 40€ in the summer).
    In case anyone has missed it Humble Bundle have a sale at the moment; offered by some shady trader called Bethseda.
  • YexaCYexaC Member UncommonPosts: 7
    fistorm said:
    So I woke up this morning and seen an email that Elderscrollsonline sent me an email 1/9/2016 and was giving away $1,000,000 if I entered and played the game.  Naturally like any normal sane person would, I quickly read the email to see how I could be a millionaire!

"Sad Panda!" I said after reading it.   It showed that it has ended on 1/10/2016.  So I say, HEY WAIT A MINUTE!  I wanted a chance at winning!  How did I not see this before?   Was this only a one day give away?!  So I go to the site to see just how long this offer was going on for...

It shows DEC 2 as the start date of this give away!   So I go back to my email and thinking I was seanile for not seeing some offer for 1 million in cold hard cash, and scroll through my past emails.  This is what I found:

1/9/2016   Elderscrollsonline     Your last chance to win $1,000,000 (USD)*

12/23/2015   Elderscrollsonline    Exclusive mounts available now in the crown store!

12/2/2015   NOTHING!  Absolutely Nothing!  NO AD for any million dollars nothing, zippo not a thing!

So there ya have it, Not a single email was found about a advertisment campaign that was running from Dec 2, 2015  a  whole MONTH and not a single email about $1,000,000.   So what happened?   Why did they not send out an email about the "Play the game" for $1,000,000???

What do you think, do you think their advertisment campaign failed?   I think you probably already know my answer to that question, cause I did not download the game and play which I think was their ultimate goal of this million dollars...  Since I had ONLY 24 hours to check my email and PLAY the game,  I now feel like I missed out on 1 million big ones, and wont be downloading the game or playing now, so to me a FAIL!

Was their advertisement campaign a failure?

Yes or No?
    Who cares.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I forgot all about this, the drawing is coming up soon.  With my winnings I shall purchase an ROG Swift monitor, one of those new intel SSDs, and an indoor horse.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Mensur said:
    It is sad that a company is soo much in need of players that they try to bate them with teh chance on winning 1 mil. ggwp noobs- for me ESO is dead and has been so almost since release. 
    Yeah, it's terrible.  A company giving away a million dollars to a lucky player.  How dare they do that!  Some people... sheesh..
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I was also bummed that I couldn't participate, due to living in New York.

Upon further research, I stumbled upon something that truly lit my torch and prompted me to grab a pitchfork.

The week before this was announced, Zenimax laid off a good chunk of their people. I understand that the budget for marketing is generally separate from development and other sectors in a company. But that's just far to sketchy. It looks from the outside like they did some number crunching. Then realized they needed to lay-off a bunch of people to come under a safe financial line with their earnings and the give-a-way price cost.

I would be happier, and more supportive to a company that keeps content makers, to make the game better. Than to see a bunch go, and in exchange have a less than 1% chance at winning $1,000,000.

I uninstalled and won't be supporting Zenimax anymore with my money.