Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the nicest thing someone did for you in MMO?

2»

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Hacked my account in WoW. Then when I got it back I had like 100k in gold. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I joined Lord of the Rings Online in late 2007 and met a very friendly Australian Guild. I had joined them until a misunderstanding on my end got me kicked out.

Later on I was getting close to end game but had yet to really experience the dungeons and instances. I joined a group who I later came to know as the RiftRunners and they ran me through everything. They taught me everything I know about Raiding and even after I made many, MANY mistakes they patiently kept having me join and run with them.

Best times of my gaming life really.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The nicest thing anyone ever did for me in an mmo is become my friend. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Amathe said:
    The nicest thing anyone ever did for me in an mmo is become my friend. 
    I like that.
    I've had friends, and than i've had "friends".

Some loud ones promised load of things and real life visits, offered to help however they could even in real life, funny stuff when you ask most of them even for 10 minutes of their time on skype, or god forbid advice or any kind of help, they vanish.

And than, there are some, silent, kind, invisible souls, instead offering visits they give you adress, before ending conversation they ask you if you need anything else, after everything else they truly listen to other people, in most cases with excelent judge of character, and most of all honest and true.

Now to find the right ones is really the trick, its easy once you click.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Did cyber sex with me. This was 2000 the year of gen x playing mmorpgs and the game was the original Everquest. I was laughing my ass off the whole time.
    Did cyber sex with me. This was 2000 the year of gen x playing mmorpgs and the game was the original Everquest. I was laughing my ass off the whole time.
    I second that , ..girls are not as rare in gaming as believed, and some of them are darn crazy horny.
    Some are just crazy tho, watch your step :D
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Back when I was playing wow, there was this warlock who offered to help me get my warlock mount as that quest is fucking horrible. So we spent like days trying to organise a group to get the mount quest sorted and we became friends and spent lots of time playing together. So he could've spent all that time running strath or scholo but he spent all that time trying to help me get my epic mount quest. We later quested together through the burning crusade and the kara attunement quests. At the time I was just shocked someone will spend so much trying to help me when he could've been running dungeons or raiding. He later told me that he hated that warlock quest too so that's why he decided to help me when I was spamming gchat for help.

sorrg for no paragraphs and spacing, am on my Phone ...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    MMOs used to be about time, before they item stored the shit out of them.  When people gave their time to help me it was always very appreciated.  I AO I had someone help me out a lot with questions and how twinking worked.

In WoW I had people help me out.  We even had a birthday party for someone.  Sounds kind of lame to have a birthday party in game, and it kind of was, but you could tell it meant a lot to them. So that was really nice.

I think that is what I miss most about MMOs. I am not sure when so many people lost the ability to spend time together in games, but it has changed everything. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    someone quit and gave me their stuff
    MMOman101 said:
    MMOs used to be about time, before they item stored the shit out of them.  When people gave their time to help me it was always very appreciated.  I AO I had someone help me out a lot with questions and how twinking worked.

In WoW I had people help me out.  We even had a birthday party for someone.  Sounds kind of lame to have a birthday party in game, and it kind of was, but you could tell it meant a lot to them. So that was really nice.

I think that is what I miss most about MMOs. I am not sure when so many people lost the ability to spend time together in games, but it has changed everything. 

Yeah, you hit the spot.

Would be interesting to know the core of the problem.

Why would mmorpg worlds change so drastically, become unfriendly with less of that friendship spirit?

I mean did mentality of current online gaming population change so fast?

Or did games change in some way like leveling speed, elitism to reach endgame the fastest way and stomp others..  some mechanic present in previous titles that isnt there now?

Also, now that i remmember it i was kinda more enjoying simply doing content and exploring, with friends, than anything else, and gear came naturally, now its all about getting gear on your own, no teamwork for gear required most cases.

Is it in some way becouse there are so many titles now and so much more population playing them, that made us all strangers and cold?

Or is it something else, all combined?
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    On my first day of SWG pre-CU someone took me on a big tour of Tatooine on their speeder bike, including the old Ben's hut, and introduced me to quite a few mechanics.

I also had some people who lent me considerable amounts of money for mounts or critical skills. Overall I like to think that I always paid them back however.

There's isn't something I hate more than being indebted to someone.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ScielaSciela Member UncommonPosts: 46
    @A13xand37 ;

The nicest thing someone has done for me in an MMO? Well... that would probably be in Wildstar. I'm a very vocal person when I play video games, and in Wildstar the combat was often so simplistic that it would kind of put me to sleep. So I would occasionally ask around for a fun class, or if the combat got harder later on and all that. Once I hit 50 and started raiding, I was just kind of disappointed, and spent a lot of my time BSing around in chat. Eventually, the entire game hated me and even now, 7 months after I quit, people still remember me and tell everyone horror stories about me, even though I'm one of the nicest people in that game.

So, before I quit, there was this guild that knew all about me, and a lot of the members hated me, but the GM took me in anyway, since I had been playing Wildstar totally alone. At first I didn't want to, since I knew I'd just cause issues, but he insisted anyway. So I joined the guild, and over time, I actually made friends in that game. And despite all the crap everyone got for harboring me in their guild, they just didn't care.

Taking the most hated person in the game, who was always alone, and giving him a place to play with friends. I'd say that's the nicest thing anyone has done for me in an MMO. ^^
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    A lot of great stories here. I guess this kind of thing is what makes MMORPGs my favorite games. 
    I think players spending time helping you says more than dropping some of their spare change.
    I've had people switch to their mains in hard dungeons just to allow the others to finish, missing out on the rewards themselves. People spending time to travel across the map to help with something. People being patient with inexperienced players. It's this potential for memorable human interactions that keeps bringing me back to MMORPGs.
  • kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    True story... back during the time I was playing WoW (before the expanision came out), I decided to leave the game. So I gave it a bit of time before coming back only to find out it was a new expansion. Well I said I would just forget my toons that were on the game and create a new one just to get the hang of it again. So after downloading the game again I noticed something weird... I had the expanision but never paid for it at all. After logging into the game I noticed someone had hacked my account but the person didn't just hack it for the crap I had here's what that person did. Bought the expanision for the game, changed my crafting to enchanting then leveled it up all the way, got way good gear for my toons, farmed the crap out of my toons and I had a crap load of gold, leveled my toons and gained rep for my toons. So after changing all my login information I played the game again...

So all in all this hacker seem to me to been the nicest person haha. I still tell that story to people now and then.
    edited April 2016
    http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/science/2015/01/06/06-men-crying.w536.h357.2x.jpg

And thats all im gonna say about that.
    Gave everyone a reaction for amasing stories :)

Thank you.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    When I was starting out in Darkfall I got ganked. I had tried to fight the guy to at least learn  something from the experience, but was no match. I sent him a tell and asked for any tips on what I could have done in that situation. He said he didn't realize I was a new player. He didn't loot my corpse (except for gold - not that much - and some of the reagents I carried for spells). He came back and gave me like ten sets of Veilron armor and weapons, which was a major upgrade for me, and a couple of mounts and steedgrass. All of that was worth much more than what he looted.

d_20 said:
    When I was starting out in Darkfall I got ganked. I had tried to fight the guy to at least learn  something from the experience, but was no match. I sent him a tell and asked for any tips on what I could have done in that situation. He said he didn't realize I was a new player. He didn't loot my corpse (except for gold - not that much - and some of the reagents I carried for spells). He came back and gave me like ten sets of Veilron armor and weapons, which was a major upgrade for me, and a couple of mounts and steedgrass. All of that was worth much more than what he looted.
    And it happened in Darkfall, which is mega rough and unforgivable PvP game :)
  • Arc_XArc_X Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Long story short I helped teach a friend of a friend how to play MMO's more or less. Like 2 weeks later I got a Naga Mouse in the mail with a very nice thank you letter. Definitely the nicest thing I've seen in an MMO.
  • CyryusCyryus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    i met this girl in DDO, we just happen to live in the same city, we playe'd together all the time, and after a year i finally met her in real life, we were like 2 flames becoming one... i loved her so much and so did she... now i only hope she found peace, wherever she is...
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I was given a 79million skill point character on these very forums by someone who left the game. Everything done nice and legit as not to risk losing my new awesome toon. Almost 140mil so now

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    In FFXI, I was level 50 and really wanting to get the artifact sword.  I asked around in chat with little response until a Japanese player whispered me <artifact weapon><do you need it?>.  I said I did.  He was a Red Mage like me.

I said I did and also got some responses from some guildies.  I met up with the Japanese player in Jueno, but my guildies were far away.  I told him this and he said he would wait.  So he just sat there with me for like 45 minutes while my lazy-ass guildies eventually mad their way over.

We traveled to where the quest was and the Japanese player basically soloed the boss.  He didn't even need help from my guildies or me!

This happened like 15 years ago but I'll never forget how nice this guy was from across the world to spend a lot of his time helping me with this quest for no tangible reward.
  • GarySevenGarySeven Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I took up WoW when LK was released and started on a PvP server.  I joined an awesome guild and became Co-GM.  The server was primarily horde, but we were alliance.  Just after I got to max level and started prepping for raiding ICC our GM suddenly quit.  I took over the guild, but quickly learned two things: we didn't have enough members who could or wanted to raid, and that on a horde dominated server it was impossible to recruit or find a good progression guild on the fly.

So I decided to move to an alliance PVE server.  It was a really hard thing to do, because I had to leave behind some very good on-line friends.  But I had a goal to raid ICC, so I announced my intention.

To my surprise, several core guild members followed me, every one of them footing the bill for their transfer costs.  Still blows me away to this day.  I never asked any of them to join me.

Over time I turned over the guild to my best buddy, because at the end of the expansion it became impossible to recruit a raid team.  But for the rest of the time I raided ICC I would regularly bring in some of my old guild mates, because I was always co-raid leader as a tank.

That's what's gone from WoW, and most MMO's.  Friends lists, server rep, and actually bonding with people for more than a 10 minute speed run.  I still miss MMO's, but I'm an old timer, so I've moved on from thinking you can go back.  Time marches on.
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited April 2016
    In City of Heroes. I went afk on a rooftop in Kings Row. When I returned, I found that some npc's had spawned on the roof and attacked my character. There was someone else there, that I didn't know, fighting them off and healing my character to keep it alive :)

CoH had a  great community. At least while it had a monthly subscription...when it went F2P it lost some of its shine...
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id