Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Predictions for 2016 - Som Pourfarzaneh

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    baphamet said:
    my prediction? every single game will get bashed to hell on the forums.....what do i win after i am proven correct? :D
    Nothing. Everybody is correct on the internet ;)
     W...aaagh?
  • ZyxxZyxx Member UncommonPosts: 49
    The toxic is real.

Why doesn't people feel happy when something good is coming. If not for you, then for alot of others!
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Scellow said:
    Another crappy year for the MMO genre, see ya next year
    Probably never see you.  Every year is a terrible year for MMOs for some reason or another.  I've never been in a community as pessimistic as this one.  I wonder if most are members of some sort of death cult. They also have a view that everything is about to end.

In the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

I self identify as a monkey.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    screw black desert with their backwards IP lock!
    ill buy dark souls 3 and forget about that dumb game,lol!
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited January 2016
    mgilbrtsn said: I've never been in a community as pessimistic as this one.
    Here you go: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Categories
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Why predict just next year? You can, with the current list of games being developed or hyped say that the next 5 years at least will be a complete drought within the genre.

Even after the failures of some of the BIG name games of the past decade, Conan, Warhammer, Lotro (although that one really didnt fail just failed to deliver the 'vision'), SWOTOR, etc. There were always big name games in the works, ESO, SWOTOR (fits both), GW2, even Wildstar to some extent giving people some hope for the future. Games being made by tried and true companies. They had controversies but nothing extreme. Definitely not like the companies and head guys if the New Hope games (probably sacrilege to use that title for them but whatever). But now we are waiting on Chronicles of Elyria, Star citizen, Camelot Unchained, Gloria Victus, and Pantheon.

Only one of those games is being made by a company/person that had even a modicum of success. They all pretty much PvP centric (we all know how well that has done in the past), most are still 2 if not 4 years out from release (and nothing new before then) , Two are being made by out and out failures, one is promising to deliver the world but with no real proof of experience or financial availability to boost confidence, and a couple of them are definitely going to be free to play P2W models.

THAT is what we are looking down the barrel at over the next five years. Never in the history of the genre has the present and future been so bleak. Its no wonder so many Asian games are getting shipped over here theyre the only thing actually released and playable. So they fill the void.

NOW is the time for a company (with experience and ability) to swoop in and take over. But it doesnt look like that is going to happen. The recipe for 'success' has never been easier than it is now. Make a PvE focused game with all the ;best' options other games have used (but have them all in a single game) make that game playable and fun, have the ability to update content every few months to keep people interested while also working on expansions, and maybe (as I suggested in another topic) working on a completely new and updated version that will replace the game you just made and be made with the new top of the line graphics and systems. Because we all know from concept to completion games are already outdated even when theyre new. So it has to be a constant circle. One company making and remaking a single game would rule the genre.

getting tl'dr but you dont really need to predict anything specific beyond...MMOs are dead and the future is proof of that.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    baphamet said:
    my prediction? every single game will get bashed to hell on the forums.....what do i win after i am proven correct? :D

You win the internetz of course!
  • A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Yea oddly it is 2016 and tbh I thought we would know much more on Everquest next Now for Pantheon yep hoping sooner then later for this

• Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Righteous_Rock said:
    Black Desert Online - this is already a grinder, that's it's label, it's already common knowledge, good for those that like a grinder though. I prefer to be competitive without the grind, especially because I don't have all day to sit and grind video games and I am very thankful for that as well.

I really don't know how you can say that..... Yes some of the quests ask you to kill 50 mobs but that for a quest!! Grinding is when you have to kill mobs just to get XP because the quests dont give you enough.

I really wish peeps would use that term correctly!
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Volgore said:
    "Black Desert Online Will Surprise Gamers Everywhere by Being Good"

Right, keep the hype machine going. Only to again find empty servers 4-6month after release -except for the hordes of bots.

Yes that may be true..... because us Americans have the attention span of a rock! There is a lot to do in BD you just have to dig for it and we're too lazy for that it all has to be spoon fed.
  • consacreaufilmconsacreaufilm Member UncommonPosts: 3
    any prediction for a Vanguard:SOH emu server launching?
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Shards Onlline is coming!.....
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    The author's prediction about EQNext was interesting. I'm not that optimistic, but I guess it could happen.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    My Predictions: (Disagree with the 1st 3)

Black Desert Online Will Not Surprise Gamers Anywhere by Being Heavily Monetized.

EverQuest Next Will Simply Be Closed.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Will Make Me Need to Play Anything Else Because There Won't Be Enough Progress.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Black Desert does look great. It really looks, finally, like PvPers will get a decent game. But because it is PvP-centric, it really will have only limited appeal.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Raquis said:
    screw black desert with their backwards IP lock!
    ill buy dark souls 3 and forget about that dumb game,lol!
    Perhaps instead of raging against Black Desert / Daum's ipblock for na/eu, maybe it would best to ask game publishers in your region to buy the rights to BDO.

just saying...cheers.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    edited January 2016

Cazriel said:
    Black Desert does look great. It really looks, finally, like PvPers will get a decent game. But because it is PvP-centric, it really will have only limited appeal.
    It's not really pvp centric but more sandbox centric.  Some people tend to like games that tells you what to do when they log in.  Bdo does not do that.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    BillMurphy said:

Adjuvant1 said:
    You were awfully nice about all this.

One thing all must know about Som... he IS awfully nice. It's almost annoying how damn nice @sominator 
    is in real life too. You want to hug him, and crush him because of it.

Does Dr. Som have a phd? If not, I object to him using Dr.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    aliven said:
    My predictions - there will be even more overhyped korean crap mmo with boobs physix and awesome character creation tools. Everyone will say how it is new and awesome and after 4 months they move to new and shiny.

Yep, but no need for hating on boob physics.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    The content of this discussion is exactly what I have come to expect from the MMORPG.com community.
  • end500end500 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Dr.Nicktu said:
    Righteous_Rock said:
    Black Desert Online - this is already a grinder, that's it's label, it's already common knowledge, good for those that like a grinder though. I prefer to be competitive without the grind, especially because I don't have all day to sit and grind video games and I am very thankful for that as well.

I really don't know how you can say that..... Yes some of the quests ask you to kill 50 mobs but that for a quest!! Grinding is when you have to kill mobs just to get XP because the quests dont give you enough.

I really wish peeps would use that term correctly!
    If you've played BDO, you would know that the game has a softcap of 50; where leveling to 50 is extremely easy (took me about a week to hit it) but after level 50 leveling is extremely difficult. At this point in the game, you're literally grinding mobs to level up (since it's faster to grind mobs to level than do quests) and quests for "Energy" and "Points" to create gear through the economy system.
  • cybycyby Member UncommonPosts: 8
    In terms of PvP games, I'm looking forward to Albion Online, Crowfall and Battlefall. Shroud of the Avatar is definitely gonna be one of the best RPG game in 2016.

• Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Shroud of the Avatar for me :).

But I hope this game will be more PvP and less Carebear !!!
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Volgore said:

Xanzo said:
    Way to be a negative nancy. If all of these predictions are bad, do you have some of your own?

Here is one: Wildstar will get shut down.

Edit: another one here. At the end of 2016 we will again be saying that 2017 will hopefully be a better year for mmorpgs.

And in other news the sky is blue, the moon is round, and water is wet. Not much of a prediction I'm afraid, but you get credit for trying.

As for my own predictions, I believe SotA will find a niche and supply the experience which was promised by Garriott with Ultima 9. The multiplayer portion will be far less popular, and the series may do well enough to continue on, but most likely as a spiritual successor to the single-player Ultima series.

Black Desert online will be a decent game with a reasonable cash shop, but that greed will eventually win out and ruin the game with pay-to-win features.

Everquest Next, I agree with what is written here.

Guild Wars 2... why did you even write anything? You may as well have said, "Guild Wars 2 will continue doing what they've been doing since release."

Pantheon will be relatively well-received for its game play, but much like Vanguard will be plagued with technical issues. The speed with which those issues are corrected will make or break the game.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Righteous_Rock said:

If you feel to good about putting time into a game you shouldnt play mmorpgs since they all need time commitment, thats what you sound like in your post.