Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is not reading the books such a problem?

All ive been hearing lately, and in the last times ive been on this site is, that people wont understand anything outside the movies storie, and wont understand anything of the history of middle earth because they never read the books, or other writings.

But why does it matter? I think the best part of playing a game is getting the story from the game itself. I know im not alone. Personaly ive never read the books, or anything else by Tolkien, and i know for a fact I wont play the game and go "im so confused, why didnt I read the book".

I think people need to stop slandering people because they never read the books.

Let the slandering of this post begin..

Comments

• IbacaiIbacai Member Posts: 71

I mainly see the slander when it comes to people who haven't read the books offering suggestions that don't fit the lore. They then whine and moan because of course their idea is wonderful. ::::12::

I don't care if people don't know anything about the lore. I just don't like the fact that a few of them think they know what's best for the game when they know nothing of the background story.

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221

I agree that it's important to keep an open mind and play the game as it's presented to you.

But I think that most of the slander comes from people that enjoy jumping up at the slightest thing that they can prove to be 'wrong' in someones post.  As is well known, the game is based on the books, and not on the movies.  Not the art, not the twists that PJ threw in (eg:  Arwen at the Ford of Bruinen (sp?)), nothing from the movies.  So when someone posts about how they'd like to see Minas Tirith look as it did in the movie, some of those people are so quick to jump up and yell "wrong!". 

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• IbacaiIbacai Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Slaggg
    I agree that it's important to keep an open mind and play the game as it's presented to you.
    But I think that most of the slander comes from people that enjoy jumping up at the slightest thing that they can prove to be 'wrong' in someones post. As is well known, the game is based on the books, and not on the movies. Not the art, not the twists that PJ threw in (eg: Arwen at the Ford of Bruinen (sp?)), nothing from the movies. So when someone posts about how they'd like to see Minas Tirith look as it did in the movie, some of those people are so quick to jump up and yell "wrong!".

There are bad eggs in all groups. All you can do is ignore them.
  • SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by Ibacai

Originally posted by Slaggg
    But I think that most of the slander comes from people that enjoy jumping up at the slightest thing that they can prove to be 'wrong' in someones post. As is well known, the game is based on the books, and not on the movies. Not the art, not the twists that PJ threw in (eg: Arwen at the Ford of Bruinen (sp?)), nothing from the movies. So when someone posts about how they'd like to see Minas Tirith look as it did in the movie, some of those people are so quick to jump up and yell "wrong!".

There are bad eggs in all groups. All you can do is ignore them.

Agreed.

And unless I've had a particularly crappy day at work, overly-hungover, or just plain cranky, I skim their infantile posts and go my merry way.

Unfortunately, some forum sites have what seems an overwhelming number of 'bad-eggs' that it ruins the atmosphere, and sometimes, the reputation of the site.

But fortunately that's not the case here.

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

[quote]

Agreed.
    And unless I've had a particularly crappy day at work, overly-hungover, or just plain cranky, I skim their infantile posts and go my merry way.
    Unfortunately, some forum sites have what seems an overwhelming number of 'bad-eggs' that it ruins the atmosphere, and sometimes, the reputation of the site.
    But fortunately that's not the case here.[/b][/quote]

The best way to get attention is to disagree. I disagree with a huge amount of posts, but only respond to the ones that I get a gut reaction from, or are an intresting conversation. I try to post replies to things I agree with also, but that just ends up starting un due drama...catch-22 w/o the bullets ><

Back on topic: When you discuss something as studied and read as a Tolkien novel ppl will have set opinions, just the way it is. And yes, some ppl suggest thing counter to the lore in the books which can be frustrating to those who have read them.