Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upcoming MMOs

2»

Comments

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Hello OP, No the game will not be F2P :)

from the FAQ: "We are considering either using the traditional subscription based model or a model where the player buys the game and then has the option of purchasing mini-expansions or ‘modules’ after launch. Either way, the game’s world will continue to expand, more content will be added, as well as new features and mechanics. Visionary Realms strongly believes that the revenue model of an MMO needs to match the game’s target audience. Because of this, Pantheon will not be ‘freemium’ or have ‘cash shops’ -- building your character and advancing in-game will be based on time invested and tactics used, not on how much money the player has in real life."http://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q41

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Dullahan said:
    There are a couple random PvE + Sims type MMOs coming out from indie developers, but I'd have to say this is the only one in the works by reasonable developers that aren't promising pie in the sky. They've taken a very grounded approach by focusing on what worked in EQ and Vanguard, and then building new ideas upon that foundation. While I certainly hope the best for the other indie MMOs out there, Pantheon is the most likely to deliver, despite early setbacks.
    Is Brad McQuaid the same guy that was in charge of Vanguard? I loved that game so much, but man was it glitchy...that being said, if you are looking forward to this game, what have you seen or heard that makes you think it will be different in terms of how Vanguard was handled? I've been keeping an eye on this game, and I think I remember something about funding issues. 
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

In my understanding Pantheon will have more solo play than EQ and less than VG.

Even VG didnt really allow to solo dungeons. On low levels there has been some leeway with the right classes, and on high levels it was possible if you had outleveled the content and again had the right class. For example my raid geared Dread Knight 55 could pretty saftely navigate through the level 48-50 dungeon Rahz Inkurr to get his learned ability there. I had the help of owning a flying mount, too, though, so I could for example avoid the rather tough combat at the entrance of the dungeon.

Oh man Vanguard was so good. I remember my Ork Dreadknight...ah memories. I loved the aspect of grouping to do things. I liked that the content was hard. What I would like to see is leveling that matters. In any game as you use a weapon you should become more proficient at it. Weapons style usage should have levels attached. Crafting should have levels as well. You should have ways to progress your character at all times that might not have anything to do with the specific character level. They must all be viable and integrate into the main objective/story. Crafting should not be an after thought but something that is necessary to progress. Most importantly when playing an MMO being level 27 should be just as important as being level capped. 
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Graey said:
    Dullahan said:
    There are a couple random PvE + Sims type MMOs coming out from indie developers, but I'd have to say this is the only one in the works by reasonable developers that aren't promising pie in the sky. They've taken a very grounded approach by focusing on what worked in EQ and Vanguard, and then building new ideas upon that foundation. While I certainly hope the best for the other indie MMOs out there, Pantheon is the most likely to deliver, despite early setbacks.
    Is Brad McQuaid the same guy that was in charge of Vanguard? I loved that game so much, but man was it glitchy...that being said, if you are looking forward to this game, what have you seen or heard that makes you think it will be different in terms of how Vanguard was handled? I've been keeping an eye on this game, and I think I remember something about funding issues. 
    Yes, Brad McQuaid was in charge of Vanguard. I could not play it for long either because of glitches Graey, but conceptually what I played was a really great game. Brad MacQuaid has acknowledged this (Vanguard was released before it was ready due to financial/publishing issues) and for the development of Pantheon he is working to not repeat this past issue by making sure the game is optimized while it is being developed (instead of at the end of development like Vanguard) and by having a long testing period.

Pantheon is being funded by a combination of crowdfunding and (at least one)  angel investors, they do need and are seeking additional funding to further develop the game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    That is the sad state this genre is in ,contrary what some might argue.
    When we look at the genre a MMORPG and we struggle to find a grouping game AND no cash shop,there is a serious problem with the genre.
    Cash shop is automatic CHEAP game,i don't care what argument someone has.It will cut corners everywhere including investment time.From the tons of crap games i am seeing cash shop is not going anywhere because 99% of these games,nobody would play them if they had a sub fee.

The few we had recently were imo only trying to SOAK players for a sub fee,their game was not good enough ,they knew it but figured let's try it anyhow.IM their plan was f2p CS all along.

Is Pantheon the answer?two part answer.
    1 I think it is a step in the proper direction but we need to see a quality game still
    2 I do not have faith this team can deliver a unique enough experience to keep players interested long term ,like 3/4/5+ years.When i look at the transition from EQ>EQ2>VG i just don't see it and those games are just not supported anymore.Yes WOW is still supported but that is a whole different reason and NOT about quality of game design.There are several superficial reasons as to why Wow made it to begin with and why it still holds 5 million players or i mean accounts,how many are actually playing everyday is a mystery.

So in part ,yes it seems Pantheon may be our only hope,let's cross out fingers and hope they have enough in the think tank to make a quality and fun game.Remember this GRIND is NOT grind if it is fun.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.