Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daggerfall - Disc from the Anthology edition

perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
I have been a big ES fan since Morrowind in 2002.  At times I still play it (with graphics overhaul now) because I find it to be the best when comparing it to Oblivion and  Skyrim (a modded Skyrim is actually quite good). I have always wanted to get into Daggerfall, but due to time and the bugs I never did.  Does the Daggerfall disc from the Anthology edition have all of the updates (most importantly the bug fixes) or do I need to download the updates too? If so, any suggestions which ones I should download?  Thank you.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Did you know that Daggerfall is also a free download from Bethesda?

http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2015
    I still have my original Daggerfall jewel case and disc , also the 500 page(i think) manual ... great stuff..

Also they are remaking Daggerfall with Unity i believe.. found it ...

http://www.dfworkshop.net/

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Interesting that they are doing a remake. Anyone know the answer to my question? I have a feeling I still might need a Dos Emulator.
  • BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    I recently played it using dosbox after getting the free download from Bethesda. Be prepared for a LOT of fiddling with dosbox settings to get this game to run properly. One of the interesting ones was slowing the game down because enemies were glitching and spinning in place instead of chasing me. There are handy guides available on the web though.
    Also a lot of the bugs are still present, make sure you save a lot and have multiple saves because I think the save game corruption issue is still present.

I did not end up finishing the game because it became far too tedious with the clunky UI and the most ridiculous dungeon generator ever created. But a remake is something I'd definitely look at.

O_o o_O

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Great game, largest RPG game ever made but I have a feeling that playing it again might be a bad idea for me. i don't think it have aged well.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    perrin82 said:
    Interesting that they are doing a remake. Anyone know the answer to my question? I have a feeling I still might need a Dos Emulator.
    Not sure, it's a tough question to answer, one would play it for quite some time to check the updates are in place or not. Personally I never used the disc from the Anthology (bought it more for the box :wink: ), I play Arena and Daggerfall on my vet gear with DOS and it has quite a lot of fixes and updates in place.

I'd guess the disc has the same version you can download for free from Bethesda. If you don't want to wrestle with DOSbox (needed for both), there's a third way, gog's version. That still uses DOSbox, except you don't need to set anything, the installer handles all the settings.
    However, there's a catch: since Arena and Daggerfall are free games, you can't buy them from gog, you get them as a gift if you buy a Bethesda game :wink: I got them with Battlespire when it was on sale a few weeks ago.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Thank you for the comments. I might do the GOG route, I already have a few games from there and I like to support them.