Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help picking and immersing in a character?

furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
Hey,

I've been around since December 2014, yet this is my first post ever. Greetings everyone!

Now, I have a problem with ESO. I love it, but I can't seem to pick the class I would play till the very end.

I'm looking for maximum immersion. I like winter, so I always lean towards races that come from "wintery" lands. I freaking love Norns in Guild Wars 2! Next, I really liked the elf woman in the trailer of ESO. She's this really nice mix of warrior and mage. Kinda like Ciri! Yes, Ciri for the win! Yet, I also enjoyed the look of the Breton warrior, also in the trailer, the way he looked upwards. Such a strong character. I liked that!

I HATE staffs. I LOVE swords and bows. I HATE default mages. I LOVE mage-warriors. I HATE thieves. I LOVE Ciri-like characters.

And did I mention I freaking love winter? Yes, I'm looking at Bretons. But are they what I'm looking for?

I'm getting a headache. I can't choose!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Hey there.

Battlermaster's corner over at ESO website has a number of different builds if you want some help deciding.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If you like Ciri's signature teleport move, the closest to that in ESO is the Sorcerer's Bolt Escape. 

All 4 ESO classes have magic or magic like abilities some of which can be used just fine if you never spend a point in magicka. There are a lot of abilities that have either no cost at all (like the Templar's Repentance that heals and gives Stamina based on corpses on the ground, for example) or are still very useful even with a small Magicka pool (the Sorc's bound armor and Lightning Form and morphs)

The 2HD skill line also has a skill, Critical Charge, that might as well be a Ciri-like TP except it needs a target. Likewise with Nightblade's Teleport Strike.

I have both a Stamina based Sorcerer with dual wielding and 2HD and a Stamina based Templar with 2HD and Bow - they both work extremely well these days.

And if you like snowy races like Nords, easy... be a Nord :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,082
    It very much depends on what kind of character you want to build, the nice thing about Elder Scrolls is that while each race has racials those racials can either be a highlighted benefit to your chosen class, or a supplement for what your class lacks. So you can go completely against the "norm" for that race, and be different and it is not really a big hinderance. For example, one of my characters is a Wood Elf Sorceress simply because they are the most aesthetically pleasing race to me, and I prefer to play non-human races...Plus I like to go against the grain for the fun of it. Also the champion system helps you to tailor and boost your character in alternative progression. You can also supplement racials with your gear sets. 

If you like characters from wintery areas you would like Nord & Orc backgrounds. If you like the Elf woman from the trailer, she was supposed to represent the caster/mage class and it's potential diversity, but could easily be seen as a Siphon Night Blade as well. I'm pretty sure she was Altmer/High Elf, but she could of been Bosmer/Wood Elf. There are builds for Stamina based Sorcerers that use swords and bows from what I remember as well. Also, if you have the perk to roll any race on any faction (I had imperial edition at launch, so I have that perk) you can simply roll what race you like the most as Ebonheart Pact, which is the Skyrim wintery place.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Like Iselin said it sounds like you want to play a stam sorc, battle mage type. I know you didn't mention Orc, but like Valentina said they are certainly a snowy type, plus they synergize awesome with stam sorcs. You get extra physical damage, speed, and health regen. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Wow, thanks for the input folks!

So.. if I play a Stamina based Sorc, can I still be a walking tesla coil?
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2016
    I may fit into this issue as well. I thought for sure I would mostly be into a Nightblade followed closely by a sorc. I've made several characters and simply stopped playing them for some reason. I even left the game a couple times (but other issues still exists outside of class choice that may limit my duration playing).

I previously made a Bowplar and leveled super fast with it and found it fun. I converted it to my crafter and returned to trying to play a magicka nightblade. I lost interest once again.

I then said "f#ck it" and decided to play the race I actually found most interesting ... Orc (Orsinium locked this choice in). I returned to an earlier concept I tried early after release: Orc DK archer. It is now vet 3 and I solo all group dolmens and public dungeons I encounter as bow/2h. It is just damn fun to play even though you tend not to use many class abilities. Those you use are key however.

Molten Weapons is beautiful. I don't need to waste a slot for snipe and can easily balance all offense, defense and utility on 2 bars and have other weapons to use when I required at any time and not feeling like being forced into weapon choices like magicka builds do (either limited staff choices or melee simply because they offer more spell power when you don't actually want to use them).

Stam DK is known to be in a good spot right now but the enjoyment comes from a build that simply works with great synergy with it's ability choices and ultimates. I even went WW for fun as it doesn't impact your main build when not wanted like Vamp does.

If going by the history of my class choices and style of play I typically go for, I would never have picked this class and build ... but I am glad I did. Min/maxing race and build may not allow much other choice but if ok with it the build is currently great in both pve and pvp (most would actually go Imperial but Orc fulfills my immersion requirements and works great anyway).

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2016

Some feel it needs some pve love and balancing but it is a solid pvp build. I've seen a vid on the build and although you will be focusing primarily on stamina the need for magicka is still high so the use of tri-glyphs on head, chest and legs is suggested to magicka utility powers can be used far more.

My stam DK does not require this but a stam sorc benefits greatly by ever so slightly hybrid building it.

You stay sassy!

edited January 2016

Yes. There is a Stamina morph for Lighting Form called Thundering Presence that does 200% extra AOE damage for the first 2.5 seconds after activation. I run always as a ball of lightning.

Your Ultimate abilities also work just as well with magicka or stamina - they scale off the higher, weapon or magic damage so you can use Overload for Sith-like lightning damage or any other Ultimate you want with full effect.

The other 2 Sorcerer abilities my VR1 Stamina sorcerer (Walks With Thunder - a Khajiit raised by Argonians :) ) uses is Bound Armaments which is another Stamina morph that gives you more physical protection and increase your stamina pool, and only one that costs magicka, Critical Surge, that lasts for 33 seconds giving you a 20% Weapon damage boost and heals you for 60% of damage done by critical strikes.

I use Evil Hunter from the Fighter's Guild Skill line for a passive increase to critical chance and extra damage against undead and daedra.

Everything else I use is either a dual wielding or 2HD ability. I have 0 points in magicka with a 3:1 ratio of points in stamina:health.

I use 5 Hundings Rage and 3 Night Mother's crafted pieces for extra weapon power as well as The Warrior mundus stone for the same reason. All the armor is medium.

It's a great PVE solo AOE build that can also be easily adapted for group or PVP play. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Thanks again for your input. Everything was fine up to "all the armor is medium"... My fate with Sorc is now bound.

So it seems. I'll probably come back crying in a month or so. Nah, third time must be gold. Thanks again for your thoughts guys!
    edited January 2016
    Thanks again for your input. Everything was fine up to "all the armor is medium"... My fate with Sorc is now bound.

So it seems. I'll probably come back crying in a month or so. Nah, third time must be gold. Thanks again for your thoughts guys!
    For RP reasons, you can ignore min/max considerations if you wish. The way this game works light armor is for magicka builds, medium for stamina and heavy for mitigation (tanks.)

But also... when you use Bound Armaments as a Sorcerer, the look of your armor changes to a glowy armor that looks like heavy regardless of what you're wearing.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2016
    Normal medium armor, using bound armaments and bound armaments + thundering presence

WWT.jpg 511.1K

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2016
    Well that looks like an immersion breaker. Would I lose much if I do not use it? I mean bound armaments.
    Well that looks like an immersion breaker. Would I lose much if I do not use it? I mean bound armaments.
    You have other options for mitigating physical damage with a stamina ability - the dual wielding ability Blade Cloak for example. Bound armaments is just a handy toggle that also gives you extra stamina.

You could also mix and match by adding a couple of major (head, chest and legs are the major armor slots) heavy armor pieces. There are lots of options. My build is just one of many possible stamina sorcerers.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Sounds good, thank you, kind sir!