Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Content Drought - What To Do Until Legion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Content Drought - What To Do Until Legion

Blizzard has given itself until the end of September to release World of Warcraft: Legion, the next expansion to the game and the one that is coming packed with new features, alterations in core game systems and much, much more. The problem is that that's still nine months away. Even the "bridging" content between Warlords of Draenor and Legion isn't likely until June or July.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Or... move on to a new game, and let WoW die in peace.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    So, basically everything people have been told to do every time there's a 15 month drought of content. My personal suggestion to people would be playing a different game and not supporting such long-standing droughts. Broaden the MMO experience and enjoy the genre instead of one game with such bad business practices.

It will be there when a new expansion comes out with some actual stuff to do that hasn't been there year after year already. Might gain some perspective on how bad 15 month droughts really are in the industry -- even when speaking of free to play games.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited January 2016
    I'm kinda in the "cancel sub until content is released" crowd (though I don't play WoW anymore).

There's really no excuse for a company/game that is doing as well as Blizzard/WoW to have these huge swaths of time with no new content just because an expansion has been officially announced.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited January 2016
    Simsu said:
    "I'm kinda in the "cancel sub until content is released" crowd (though I don't play WoW anymore).

There's really no excuse for a company/game that is doing as well as Blizzard/WoW to have these huge swaths of time with no new content just because an expansion has been officially announced."

agreed, I have always played other MMO's during the content droughts - still inexcusable - I suppose at least WoW is "free" for me now so I stay subbed even if I don't log in. I'll be playing BnS while watching streamers play beta for Legion ((and maybe playing beta, but chance of that opportunity is slim.)
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I've seen a lot of long time WoW players migrate to other MMOs until Legion comes out, so I imagine this isn't going to be good for WoW's sub numbers. At this rate they'll hit 4 million subs or something, provided they still even share that info now. (I think I heard somewhere that they wouldn't do it anymore)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I really still have a true love for Wow, one of the first games that actually got me gaming for fun. but sadly I am one of the non play until expansion players and even after that its 30 days at best because it usually only takes a few days to ge through the new stuff before the grind starts.

Maybe its time to start WOW 2 :) I mean it worked for Everquest why not for WOW.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I would try not to support a game that has a content drought. It is lazy sloppy development when they promised more content faster at whatever blizzcon I watched. WoW will not die but Blizzard's current work on the game doesn't deserve a monthly fee.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    unsub , is the only way this company will start to understand that no content for MONTHS is not a good idea...they repeated the same mistake all the time , why? because they are puting 0 money into it and still gain $$$
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    edited January 2016
    That quote is not a good excuse for lack of development. What do our opinions count for anyway, their numbers were/are in sharp decline and Im sure there is a correlation for shop expenditure. They seem to be focused on their other game line-ups and are putting far less effort in to wow. In contrast diablo seems to be getting much blizzard love and each patch / season they release they add superb layers of things to do! Suit up dungeons!
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I was actually just thinking about buying WoD. Haven't played since about 2 months after Siege of Org. came out. Do I wanna resub and blow the dust off my main? Or do I just let it die?
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Both game and community are not the same as they was before, I had hopes that WoD will revive everything, but it didn't and I think it wasn't meant to. Blizzard clearly changed the course towards mobile games development and WoW will be on life support.

Personally I have nothing against business following new market trends but Blizzard could at least tell it clearly and not pretend everything just fine.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    pinktailz said:
    Both game and community are not the same as they was before, I had hopes that WoD will revive everything, but it didn't and I think it wasn't meant to. Blizzard clearly changed the course towards mobile games development and WoW will be on life support.

Personally I have nothing against business following new market trends but Blizzard could at least tell it clearly and not pretend everything just fine.
    When did Blizzard ever say anything honest or clearly? 

I don't think any other gaming company ever gave so many false promises, or just downright lied to it's playerbase year after year.
  • Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    edited January 2016
    This websites crowd is more of a F2P MMO hopping bunch and most people that will comment probably haven't ever played WoW or haven't in a long time at the very least.

While you do offer some good ideas to keep busy sadly I don't expect it to be well received here.

P.S. - people are saying to leave the game and play something else until legion. Sadly, there is nothing else out there (besides FFXIV maybe) worth investing any significant time in :-(
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2016
    This websites crowd is more of a F2P MMO hopping bunch and most people that will comment probably haven't ever played WoW or haven't in a long time at the very least.

While you do offer some good ideas to keep busy sadly I don't expect it to be well received here.

P.S. - people are saying to leave the game and play something else until legion. Sadly, there is nothing else out there (besides FFXIV maybe) worth investing any significant time in :-(
    Lol I'm sure pretty much everyone on this forum played WoW at some point. Hell 100+ million players tried WoW and less than 5mil are still bothering with it. WoW is not the most hated MMO only on this site, but pretty much on every MMO site in the last 6 years since Cataclysm. 

Besides those that haven't played WoW in a long time would only be disappointed to see what Blizzard has done with it.

+ There are at least 5 MMOs worth investing in rather than in WoW.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Stop subscription until Blizzard delivers something to subscribe to.
    /SOLVED

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    It feels like every expansion blizzard claims they are going to do better at releasing content, and they keep getting worse. To me with the amount of money they made and are still making on WoW it's almost dirty that they allow this non-sense to happen. It's not that there isn't still stuff to do in the game for most people because there is in such a big game. However, even smaller MMORPG's with far less money don't usually go 1 year + with no new stuff, and when they do it's usually because their dead.

I love what WoW used to be and I'm not ashamed to say it, because besides a few exceptions my favorite mmorpg experiances came in WoW, However since Activision Blizzard became a thing, Blizzard hasn't been even close to what it used to be.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Blizzard used to be able to fight the content drought really well, I remember my guild was dedicated to getting kil'jaeden down a week before WotLK. Now a lot of people don't care about that, cause why put a lot of dedication into raiding when ya got LFR? I really, really, really dislike that they added 4 difficulties for raids other than LFR, I was okay with heroic the raid scene was still healthy.

To me all these different variations of difficulties is a waste of time and resources but it must have some value or they wouldn't keep adding in more difficulties. What kept me playing the most was that gold wasn't as easy to come by and to raid I'd have to have consumables that I'd go broke if I didn't farm or run dungeons.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    This happens every single expansion and they've promised for years they'd do something different next patch, has about as much clout now as any economic or loot changes that Arenanet has promised in HoT LOL so glad I left this platform.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I cancelled my sub 10 days into the Tanaan grind fest. I will reactivate it when the Legion pre-launch event comes in order to prep my characters for the expansion.

And this is what everyone should do imho. Almost 14 months without content is just preposterous. Furthermore, this is not the first time Blizzard pulls this stunt.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    edited January 2016
    Nice list, Suzie: Here's my top 10 to fill in the second content drought:

1. Fallout 4.
    2. Dragon Age Inquisition.
    3. Lord of the RIngs, Shadows of Mordor.
    4. Final Fantasy IV on PC (what can I say? Reliving my childhood)
    5. Final Fantasy IV After Years (Because they actually made a sequel to my favorite childhood game???)
    6. The Witcher 3. Just drop to $20 on some sale and I'll buy you.
    7. The Elder Scrolls Online (Ugh - someone had to buy this for me. All right, guess I'll give it a go)
    8. Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 (Yep, somehow these slipped in between my cracks. Possibly counts as 9 and 10 as well, but eh, screw it.
    9. Valkyria Chronicles. Been told by too many people this game is amazing.
    10. Pillars of Eternity. Same as above. Besides, Obsidian - a gaming company that actually knows how to write a story too. Cha-Ching.

Yeah, I'm not giving Blizzard another dime for this absolute garbage expansion. Hell, my VIRTUAL PIXEL GOLD isn't even worth trading away for VIRTUAL PIXEL SUBSCRIPTION TOKEN until after Legion falls.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Problem that arises is there is not much else to play.  The list above is just single player stuff, how boring!
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I'm in the rp camp of people, typically we stage a setting and battle ensues. It's something special. Last night there was a wedding that my Orc special ops force of all hunters crashed.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Ozmodan said:
    Problem that arises is there is not much else to play.  The list above is just single player stuff, how boring!

After so many years of basically ignoring every single player game... I was surprised how much I enjoy them again. The MMO genre is going into a bit of a remission as we wait for The Next Big Thing. For me, it was an obvious choice... made all the more obvious by WoD.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Ozmodan said:

WoW has become a single player game for a lot of players. WoW like so many "MMO"s these days focus on the solo experience.

The main difference between these and single player games is, single player games(the good ones anyway) actually have a coherent and enjoyable story.

If you are still having fun in WoW with no new content, go nuts, but if you have to try to find something to do... I don't really see the point of staying subbed. There are a lot of good MMOs you can play around in, and single player games too. You can stay in touch with guildies through mail, facebook, guild web site etc...
    Also I don't see the point of throwing money at a company that only offers to take your money and run for 15 months.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Still the best game, and a ton to do if you don t live in it.