Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Upcoming MMOs of 2016 - General Column

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    edited January 2016
    Ooo found something hey I just did some research!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dLm9JcogQ
    edited January 2016
    So this is game should beta this year please add to the list ?! Current projected Beta release date (subject to change): mid to late 2016

1. What is City of Titans?

City of Titans is the title of a new MMO in development, inspired by the late MMO City of Heroes and being designed as a spiritual successor. It is being developed by Missing Worlds Media, a game studio formed of volunteers from the City of Heroes community.

2. Who are Missing Worlds Media?

Missing Worlds Media is a virtual studio of volunteers who have come together to create a new superhero MMO, taking the principles of what made City of Heroes special and using them as a springboard to create a brand new game that learns from City of Heroes' successes and failures, and takes full advantage of all the advances technology has made since City of Heroes' release.

3. When are you going into Beta?

Not for some time. Thanks to the way we were founded, the project has been publicly known since someone first had the idea, but most games are only announced after years and years of development has already been made. This also means all dates are soft goals, as predicting what will happen and how long things will take at this stage is very difficult. This is normal for game development – how often has the release date on some AAA title you were waiting for been pushed off? The date listed below will be kept updated. The date will be preceded by alpha and beta testing for Kickstarter backers.

Current Estimated Beta release: mid-2016.

4. Will this game be Free to Play or Subscription based?

Yes.

More seriously, our plan is something of a hybrid. You will have to 'buy the box' for an upfront fee equal to three months subscription, but that purchase will give you both lifelong access and three months VIP status, all perks included (like the hefty cash shop allowance). Subscribing after those three months expire will be optional, and of course there will be a cash shop for all kinds of micro-transactions. We promise that 'no pay to win' is high on our list of conditions for cash shop items.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2016
    Wicoa said:
    Hmm. Any news on city of heroes successors, there were a good couple of projects that were started after it closed down, seems to have gone silent.

Like this one? :) City of Titans - New Gameplay Trailer - http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/37756/General-City-of-Titans-Gameplay-Trailer-Shines-Light-on-the-Future.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for dropping mention of us on this list, @BillMurphy
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    edited January 2016
    SBFord said:
    Wicoa said:

Hmm. Any news on city of heroes successors, there were a good couple of projects that were started after it closed down, seems to have gone silent.

Like this one? :) City of Titans - New Gameplay Trailer - http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/37756/General-City-of-Titans-Gameplay-Trailer-Shines-Light-on-the-Future.html

I loved city of heroes, it was one of the few games that managed to harmonise all types of gamer from casual, elitist to altist! Into a supportive and fun community that just enjoyed playing together. Perhaps a big piece of that puzzle was the removal of a geared loot system and in its place enhancements to action and passive skills. Pretty much what we see today in some Mobas. I digress!
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Thupli said:

Righteous_Rock said:
    Thanks for the list, I think it would beneficial if we stopped hearing anything about games in alpha or beta state. It's free advertising for a product that's not ready, stop promoting unfinished games.

While I hear what you are saying, these companies release their games she they hit alpha and beta, so better to judge them when they are "opened".

I am ok with the preview, it just needs to be made a lot less significant. Right now as you say it's 90% of the news on this page. I think the culture here would improve if we talked about games that are currently playable, talked about what happened last night or this or that upcoming event in games that are finished products. Bury the preview for alpha and beta games in the background. Right now Gw2, WoW, ESO, SWTOR, FF ARR, Wildstar, Rift, .... finished games deserve more attention. With so much attention on what can be yet never becomes or just fizzles out due to pay to win, the door for negativity is wide open with good cause. Live for today, which means write about the games we play today.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    edited January 2016
    LilithM said:
    I find it interesting that despite the fact that hardcore and pvp focused mmorpgs continue to do badly in the West, publishers continue to push forward games with this as the games main features. Black Desert and Blade and Soul are perfect examples of this. And I believe Camelot Unchained?

What's the point? Or is the hope that millions of moba players will leave their favorite moba game and play their games instead?

I think that's part of it, honestly. I can't speak for all Mobaers, but I've been playing dota since 0.99 when Eul was making it with the Reign of Chaos map editor. It's honestly imo one of the greatest games man-kind has ever created, but that doesn't mean I don't want a PVP game with more depth, persistence, and RPG elements, in an environment where we are still battling thinking opponents instead of rats and wolves. Considering the last World Championship in LoL sold out the staples center, I think it's pretty clear their IS a market for PvP games if they are done properly.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    edited January 2016
    heerobya said:
    Biggest thing I am looking forward to is Destiny 2 in the fall. If it is current-gen only, as it should be, should be the game Destiny 1 should have been all along.
    I HOPE, this actually gets announced this year. But I'd bet on a 2017 release.  If they surprise me, consider the list updated! (Oh, and a PC release please.)
    They've had an outside studio (High Moon Studios) working on it for a while now, in addition to the Bungie team that did Taken King. 

If anything there is going to be a content drought between now and this fall (sad panda) but we should def see Destiny 2 in the fall. 

The talk is that between now and then will be many more "micro" updates, for free, like the Sparrow Racing League thing, which may or may not include a new Raid (hopefully!) but the real meat is being saved for the big fall release (which will of course be paid for.)

If not, it will be something as big if not bigger than Taken King was, but all the smart $ is on Destiny 2.

It's much more likely to get a PC release if they (assumed to) drop last-gen support, as all 3 platforms (XB1, PS4, PC) could run pretty much the same version (x86).
  • GrelfGrelf Member UncommonPosts: 37
    LilithM said:
    I find it interesting that despite the fact that hardcore and pvp focused mmorpgs continue to do badly in the West, publishers continue to push forward games with this as the games main features. Black Desert and Blade and Soul are perfect examples of this. And I believe Camelot Unchained?

What's the point? Or is the hope that millions of moba players will leave their favorite moba game and play their games instead?
    Well, Black Desert and Blade and Soul are eastern games, but it's a valid point. Still, I think there is an unfulfilled demand for this sort of game, especially where it involves sandbox elements, which MOBAs can't provide.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Grelf said:
    Well, Black Desert and Blade and Soul are eastern games, but it's a valid point. Still, I think there is an unfulfilled demand for this sort of game, especially where it involves sandbox elements, which MOBAs can't provide.
    I think the "battle arena" type so-called MMOs have definitely been replaced with the MOBA scene.

There has also been a few very well received single player open-world RPGs recently.

So you'll see new MMOs go in the direction of more sandboxy-interactive elements.

Just like in the early - mid 2000's things went all questy-themepark and the late 2000 - early 2010's went all story crazy.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    edited January 2016
    Voxelnauts isn't closed down (yet). And until we hear otherwise, they're predicted early access can stay. Note, we said we'd be updating the list all year long. Inquiries are out to most of the developers already. 
    I'm seriously hoping to see EQN news this year, and as soon as possible. I really want this game probably more than anything else on the list. They said last year they were going to be pretty quiet until the new year...Well it's the new year!!! NEWS PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    As is said in the article I wouldn't be surprised if many of these don't end on on the 2017 list either and when it comes to Star Citizen I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on the 2018 and 2019 ones too ( or into the 2020s for that matter ) .

Quite frankly 2016 looks to be a very bleak year for new releases . Only Black Desert really interests me but who knows there maybe a dark horse among the rest .
  • SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Where does it say anywhere in No Mans Sky's description that its an MMO?
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    BillMurphy said:
    Voxelnauts isn't closed down (yet). And until we hear otherwise, they're predicted early access can stay. Note, we said we'd be updating the list all year long. Inquiries are out to most of the developers already. 

As much as I would like it to be true.
    When the last post on the forum is titled "I quit" , and after that no further posts made for over 10 months. Than you need to be pretty optimistic to believe it will still come out.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    No Mans Sky is not an MMO.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

As much as I would like it to be true.
    When the last post on the forum is titled "I quit" , and after that no further posts made for over 10 months. Than you need to be pretty optimistic to believe it will still come out.
    True. I'm just waiting to get an official confirmation from someone, anyone, there or formerly connected to it, so we can remove it or update it.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2016
    LilithM said:

>>>I wouldn't slap CU into that mix. Yes it is pvp but it is entirely based around RvR ... a concept invented by Dark Age of Camelot which has absolutely nothing to do with MOBA or wanting to attract that player base at all. DAoC has it's own core success and it is that exact audience it is going after.

Although it is indeed built around pvp it doesn't really fit into the hardcore concept at all. There isn't full loot and there are many ways to advance your character outside of direct conflict along with playing a crafter and non-combat scout that could very likely not want to engage in combat ... ever.

My point though is that CU is being created for the western mmo market from an evolutionary branch that already exists in the west. It's style and game play will not come from pve with pvp mixed within in an attempt to create an end game that would not exist otherwise. It exists for RvR only and and wants the DAoC crowd which has proven to be dramatically different than typical battleground or MOBA hardcore players. It will not support e-sport or any kind of mini-game pvp format within an entirely different game. RvR is the game and anyone not interested will not be asked to play it by mixing pve and pvp into 2 separate systems which is basically the other games you reference.

CU will release as a very different sort of game. One that never existed before. One worth trying for those not normally into this sort of game because it will be so entirely different. I believe that is the point.

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I'll be diving into Project Gorgon again once it hits Steam so I can give it a little support. If CU proves to be fun for eternal RvR struggle I may very well only want a fun and pure pve game to waste my time outside of player whooping.

I can't see Pantheon or the few other's that interest me being in a state I'd consider playable for 2016.

You stay sassy!

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Chronicles of Elyria, only thing I'm truly excited about, only truly INNOVATIVE game I've seen in a long, long time.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited January 2016
    sgel said:
    Star Citizen isn't releasing in 2016.
    Star Citizen isn't a MMOG; there are a full 16 players per instance.
    If you're going to draw the circle that big, you may as well include Call of Duty and Farmville. CORPG is a more apt term I've seen used to describe it.

The "massive" in MMO usually implies hundreds of players directly interacting in the same virtual space.  I get that the market has moved away from this type of design, but it's kind of a slap in the face to older games that actually allow this type of thing to label a 16/instance or 32/instance game a "MMO".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    sgel said:
    Star Citizen isn't releasing in 2016.
    Star Citizen isn't a MMOG; there are a full 16 players per instance.
    If you're going to draw the circle that big, you may as well include Call of Duty and Farmville. CORPG is a more apt term I've seen used to describe it.

The "massive" in MMO usually implies hundreds of players directly interacting in the same virtual space.  I get that the market has moved away from this type of design, but it's kind of a slap in the face to older games that actually allow this type of thing to label a 16/instance or 32/instance game a "MMO".
    TOTALLY agreed

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Everquest Next has now created a new category of Vapor-Ware... Wish-Ware.
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Maybe some of theese games are good, but i'm not enticed. To get a large number of people looking into your game you need a very strong name. It's not for nothing that some of the biggest mmo's are games like WOW, ESO, SWTOR.

Maybe a halflife mmo i would look into. It's a big enough name that it could attract a following imo. Or maybe a strong movie franchise could be made a mmo. A Godfather mmo perhaps.

Ofc. if you create a great game people will find out eventually, but a good name is important. Most, if not all of theese new mmo names means nothing to me.
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    All the same shit that has been in beta nd development since 2014...