Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player: Decisions, decisions

HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
Decision has already been made: I am buying ESO! But as a completely new player I am a bit uncertain what makes the most sense:
Imperial or regular edition?
Buy all DLC right away or wait and see?
Is there anything really important in the cash shop from the get go?

Currently I am thinking: Get imperial version and play through the intro and possibly sub after that, but is that the most sensible choice?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Obviously you have money to waste... I say go all out and get it over with, that way when you stop playing you will at least know you gave it your best shot.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Halandir said:

Currently I am thinking: Get imperial version and play through the intro and possibly sub after that, but is that the most sensible choice?

Yes but not just the intro - play that way till you're level 50 or so.

The Imperial edition gives you a mount, the ability to play as an Imperial which is a very handy race for tanks and any Stamina builds and the ability to convert any armor pieces to Imperial style - which otherwise is a premium (gold) style book.

The DLC so far, Orsinium and the Imperial City, although playable at low levels is really best left for after you are higher level. You won't miss having them at all until then. Once you're ready for them, the best deal is subbing since you get that content to use as part of the sub in addition to 1500 crowns per month subbed and +10% XP from all sources... the more DLCs there are, the netter the sub deal will be.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    I would subscribe, also there are some really cool mounts and pets in the shop (although with mounts, the coolest ones tend to be cycled in and out every couple of months). Orsinium is probably one of the best expansion/dlc's I've played for an MMO, it's genuinely really well done. Imperial City I could of done without, and I think a lot of people don't really care for it unless you're really into PvP.

With subscribing you get access to all the DLC's. The cash shop is really mostly for cosmetics, there's nothing hugely important to get and some of the nicest cosmetics are coming in the next few weeks, they've previewed them on the forums. :D
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I really enjoy ESO and am playing it on a second go around.  Like others, I recommend the Imperial Edition.  If you have money to spare, look at a sub.  You get access to all the content, 10% bonuses on various things like gold, exp, etc.   You also get crowns each month you can use to spend in the store.  I used all mine to unlock bank space which comes in very, very handy.  It gets hugely expensive (at least for me) to upgrade at the higher tiers.

Lastly, have fun!   Take it slowly, absorb the atmosphere, take your time questing, exploring and opening up every crate, backpack, chest you come across.  Join a few good trading guilds and before you know it, the money will be flowing in. 
  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Thanks for the tips/recommendations.
    I bought the imperial version and am downloading right now.
    I prefer story, exploration and basically the journey. "Endgame" and raids are usually where I leave a game :)
    The cash shop items I was thinking about was indeed mostly inventory/bank slots and with full access with a sub I guess I will sub once I know if the game is for me.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Halandir said:
    Thanks for the tips/recommendations.
    I bought the imperial version and am downloading right now.
    I prefer story, exploration and basically the journey. "Endgame" and raids are usually where I leave a game :)
    The cash shop items I was thinking about was indeed mostly inventory/bank slots and with full access with a sub I guess I will sub once I know if the game is for me.
    this is going to be a great game for you then. there i a lot of story/exploration content in this game, more than most mmo's. 
  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Thanks again for the input. I was never the greatest skyrim fan but this game just seem to work for me :)
    @Baphamet: Pretty much nailed it: So far it seems like just the game for me!
    Played about 25 hours already: About 3 times more than I did in a week in my previous favorite game (yeah I'm casual).

@Erda: I plan to go about this as slow as possible and I love reading all the journal entries/books/scrap notes I come across. - There is SO much to see, read and consume. Besides: I am slow as fsck... Old, casual, likes to smell the roses and all that. Points taken (and already understood) on the inventory part.

@Valentina: If I feel like I do now in a few weeks I am definately on the sub/+ list :) I think I may feel exactly like you about expansions. Still have no idea how cashshop may have limited THIS games ingame drops/crafting though it seems to have had minor impact (unlike my previous game). Crown store actually seems ok, compared to my previous game, where more than  2/3 of new wardrobe etc. was cashshop only.

Sure this is the honeymoon period but outside the great quests, storytelling and the abundance of things I pick up because I am a noob... I have already met some (very nice) helpful people ingame, I have experienced doing some great deeds solo, doing even greater things side-by-side with other players: I am sold :)

@Iselin: Thanks man, just thanks! Your words always carry weight and I will heed the advice :+1: 

(repeat ad infinitum)