Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it a game for me worth getting?

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
Like a lot of people, I'm a veteran MMORPG player and currently pretty much homeless.

Currently:
- Sometimes I play Otherland, but it's too unfinished and a number of things there bug me.
- Sometimes I play Fallen Earth, but somehow I'm not that pulled in anymore.

I consider subbing to WoW for another month. I stopped playing it once I did the first few raids when I reached the max level, since I had the feeling of having explored everything worth exploring. I could collect there some more pets, look into the new region and check out the new raids, but I'm not sure whether that's worth it.

Or I could buy ESO for currently about 20$. Three reasons why I haven't done that yet:
1) A lot of people on Steam say they're having problems. Really a lot of people. I recently installed it to try it on the free weekend (but then had no time), but even then I already had problems with the game.
2) I still have enough other games to try, even though they are non-MMORPGs. So maybe I should play those first.
3) I fear that it will result in the usual: walk from NPC to NPC, skip through the text, walk from one mob standing stupidly around waiting to be killed to another, and sometimes picking up items. Rinse and repeat.

But maybe I'm too negative. Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• aeoliahaeoliah Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Hi @maji , ESO is a good game but they are run by a paranoid bunch of people. I dedicated my time and money to this game for a month after which i was banned from the game just 2-3 days back for absolutely no reason atall. I raised an appeal to which they said its a permanent ban for reason i can only wonder. That said, there are thousands of players playing the game without any issues and there are unlucky ones like me. You could google it up "eso suspened for no reason", i am pretty sure you will find a lot of people with the same issue. They are paranoid as hell. Other than that you could give it a try and judge for yourself, maybe you will like the game.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    maji said:
    Like a lot of people, I'm a veteran MMORPG player and currently pretty much homeless.

Currently:
    - Sometimes I play Otherland, but it's too unfinished and a number of things there bug me.
    - Sometimes I play Fallen Earth, but somehow I'm not that pulled in anymore.

I consider subbing to WoW for another month. I stopped playing it once I did the first few raids when I reached the max level, since I had the feeling of having explored everything worth exploring. I could collect there some more pets, look into the new region and check out the new raids, but I'm not sure whether that's worth it.

Or I could buy ESO for currently about 20$. Three reasons why I haven't done that yet:
    1) A lot of people on Steam say they're having problems. Really a lot of people. I recently installed it to try it on the free weekend (but then had no time), but even then I already had problems with the game.
    2) I still have enough other games to try, even though they are non-MMORPGs. So maybe I should play those first.
    3) I fear that it will result in the usual: walk from NPC to NPC, skip through the text, walk from one mob standing stupidly around waiting to be killed to another, and sometimes picking up items. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks.
    If you were considering returning to WoW why haven't you at least played FFXIV, they  have a two week free trial even?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I also tried ESO for the first time on that weekend, and the game crashed several times before i had even finished the tutorial part. In addition, i disliked combat from get go and the whole game felt like a console game (which it really is tbh).

It's definitely not worth getting for the price they're asking. I could possible pick it up if they offered a decent discount at some point, like -75%, and even then i'd treat it as a single player game with other players running around.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited December 2015
    ESO is one of the rare games worth even more than the asking price (60$). You won't get that amount of content for this price in any other game, and especially not such a high quality content. 

I wouldn't get it from Steam though, too many problems with Steam.

If you care that much for the Story and Lore then get ESO, as it's fully voice acted and has superbly written quests. 
  • AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    ESO its amazing, i have been playing WoW for 5 years now (still playing) but ESO is my main time sink right now and it will remain this way if they keep fixing and improving the game like they have been doing the past 9 months i would recommend this game to any MMO lover but just keep in mind its an MMO its not just another saga in the Elder Scrolls series be mindful of what you expect from it after all every MMO has its limits with choice and freedom for the sake of balance. However if you just go expecting Skyrim Online you will be very disappointed, the game has suffered blows from the part of the community who thinks this is another RPG and not an MMO  and go around spewing negative advertisement.  
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i don't play ESO through steam so i cannot comment about that but i have absolutely no problems running the game and its my favorite MMO right now.

there are fedex type quests that can be annoying but you have to go explore to find a lot of the quests and most of them are interesting IMO
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    cura said:
    Agnhar said:
    [...]
    However if you just go expecting Skyrim Online you will be very disappointed, the game has suffered blows from the part of the community who thinks this is another RPG and not an MMO  and go around spewing negative advertisement.  
    Didnt developers claim its mmoRPG?
    An MMORPG is completely different than just an RPG. You know it so dont act ignorant just to attempt to troll.

I believe ESO is the best MMORPG on the market and it has been a very long time since I have had any trouble out of the game. I recommend it to everyone. 
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Im liking the game so far.  One thing you notice is that the absolute world is HUGE. I mean theres tons to explore and exploration benefits is FAR greater in this game than any other zone-like game. Feeling underpowered? Take a hike in the woods im not going to spoil it but aside from quests theres loot, ingredients, skyshrines, dungeons, resources, waypoints, and general know-how of the game. The graphics are great realistic style sound bells whistles all 10/10. THIS is the game you we're waiting for and the content is wonderful with awesome story and humour. The systems are great; crafting, trading, guild, pvp. Character progression is probably its only weak point you will find deeper games and the combat isn't very mmo like but its a nice diversion. The land doesn't feel empty and there is TONS to do, the endgame is purely pvp. There are 2 DLC's currently out and it launched just last year and those DLCs are quite hefty compared to other games also in price. This is buy to play but with membership you get the DLCs for free and also game currency to spend in the cash shop. I believe that is superior to WoWs method...Oh yeah, the AI and quest system is like skyrim's i give this game a 9.3/10 :pleased: 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Can you explain what you mean by "problems"  If your having problems it would be related to your PC or your ISP.   The game runs flawlessly on a good computer and decent connection.

I think of ESO as a single player game with other people running around with me, sort of like Guild Wars 2.  Its not a run from NPC to NPC quest system.  Each quest is story based with you working through the story line, Its really very well done.

The game world is fairly immersive, but the zones are instanced, its not one big seamless world like Oblivion or Skyrym ( my biggest knocks ) and there is no open world PvP.   PvP is tedious and hard to find.

You really cant go wrong for 20 bucks since its buy to play, just try it out.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    I returned to ESO after a breif stint a few months ago.  Totally sick of WOW  and not hardcore enough for EVE Online.  I LOVE IT.  The story telling is second to none, the crafting is interesting, the combat is great.  I say check it out.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Loving ESO also.  Been playing less than a month and find the exploration /questing lots of fun.  It does feel like a console game as someone mentioned above.  It does give me that Skyrim Online vibe which I love.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    maji said:

Thanks.
    It's not that type of game though it does have a lot of quests. 

The quests are voiced, sometimes you are following an npc or you are playing in some larger part of a story in one area.

People mistake that for "quest hub" but in truth it's not really a hub. You can explore and come upon npc's that have issues, need help, direct you to some place that is having an issue, etc. You can also find the dark anchors and fend off the mobs there (sort of like rifts portals) sometimes there are smaller events such as an npc fighting something off and you can help, or a mini-boss in an area where you could solo it but it's usually easier with people who are also arriving at the area.

I don't have the game installed via steam so don't have any issues.

It's better if you join a guild for the trading/guild store but a lot of the quests are solo based.

Obviously there is pvp in Cyrodiil.

In truth, I'm have a lot of fun this go around. it's a very well done game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    What I want to know is: Is anything dangerous? Will I ever need a hand from friends to get to a specific dungeon entrance? Will I have to come near things that are way too hard for me? Will I need to work with other people to get things done? Is there room in the game for more spontaneous gameplay, meaning fun things that happen because of the way people play.

I'm currently playing FFXIV and because you just warp from on place to an instance over and over again, and then in the instance you simply collect objectives, every single players experience is the exact same in the game.

I need some danger, some teamwork, and some reward for branching out and exploring. I also need things to be happening in the open world.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Sovrath said:
    maji said:

Thanks.

The quests are voiced, sometimes you are following an npc or you are playing in some larger part of a story in one area.

People mistake that for "quest hub" but in truth it's not really a hub. You can explore and come upon npc's that have issues, need help, direct you to some place that is having an issue, etc. You can also find the dark anchors and fend off the mobs there (sort of like rifts portals) sometimes there are smaller events such as an npc fighting something off and you can help, or a mini-boss in an area where you could solo it but it's usually easier with people who are also arriving at the area.

It's better if you join a guild for the trading/guild store but a lot of the quests are solo based.

I have always wanted a quest where you have to follow an NPC around covertly to discover what is going on.  Maybe one NPC out of a group is a traitor and you have no idea which one it is.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Ignoring everyone else's comments...yes....yes it IS worth it.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    waynejr2 said:
    Sovrath said:
    maji said:

Thanks.

I have always wanted a quest where you have to follow an NPC around covertly to discover what is going on.  Maybe one NPC out of a group is a traitor and you have no idea which one it is.
    WTF are you talking about?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited January 2016
    Ozreth said:
    What I want to know is: Is anything dangerous? Will I ever need a hand from friends to get to a specific dungeon entrance? Will I have to come near things that are way too hard for me? Will I need to work with other people to get things done? Is there room in the game for more spontaneous gameplay, meaning fun things that happen because of the way people play.

I'm currently playing FFXIV and because you just warp from on place to an instance over and over again, and then in the instance you simply collect objectives, every single players experience is the exact same in the game.

I need some danger, some teamwork, and some reward for branching out and exploring. I also need things to be happening in the open world.
    The Elder Scrolls Online is very much a theme park MMORPG. Although I think there's more choice given. But much of the challenge you seek will come from endgame content. During my leveling experience from 1 to 50 the difficulty was very easy to moderate. Some of the world bosses present a challenge for groups. Occasionally you'll run into groups of mobs that hit you just right for the kill. But it's very much a game you can solo. In fact, the phasing/instance tech sometimes will makes questing with a party difficult(edit: you want to play with your friends but you just can't temporarily).

The Elder Scrolls Online is probably my 3rd favorite MMORPG of all time. I think the content is absolutely amazing. I just need to see those Veteran Ranks disappear permanently. 
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    You will run into your issue in #3 a lot.  I don't skip through the text myself because everything is voice acted nicely, but you absolutely could.  The game does guide you to what you have to do regardless of whether or not you paid attention.

I play it on again, off again.  When I am playing I love how much of Tamriel there is to see.  I love that combat is improved over the single player games, and that the Elder Scrolls lore is deep and rich.  When I am not playing it is because I hate the everpresent fog, the boring questing (even though it is well written, I never end up caring to see what comes next), and the nagging feeling that I get a similar but superior experience when playing the offline games.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    nah the character models are hideous.  there are better games coming out next year, but then again, it depends on what you are looking for.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • xxPROBIExxxxPROBIExx Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited February 2016
    Well it's free. Boring areas and they ruined the fear factor the other games had. No devil sounding voice telling you to get the man he wants to kill and lure him in the anti chamber. No evil daedra at all. It's pg-13 wand full of wimpy PvP and hamster wheel end game armor grinds. Everyone brags about the build they have but they all have one of the few builds that they were told to make. With the abilities being so mediocre. Only a few stand out for dps sorcery  or stamina builds. It's for partying and gaming cause you could be tanked and mash away most things cause grinding gets you open gear plus buff in PvP zone is unbalanced. Try it. You can find copies used for console at game stop. 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Other than boring combat, lack of a truly open-world Tamriel, and a huge grind to max level, this game is awesome.

That sounds bad, but this game is really a very nice game.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2016
    maji said:

Keep an eye on their own site for sales. Zenimax also had a 75% off sale via Humble Bundle recently as well. Buying direct from Z should solve point 1 - if it is a Steam issue ofc. Now Zenimax are aware of performance issues in some areas - check their site news for latest - but mostly its OK; and improvements continue.

2. Non-mmorpgs are good as well.

3. It is a more involved game than that.

If it is between a 30-day sub to WoW and unlimited days ESO for about the same price - no contest. ESO wins that question hands down. The caveat - as with all games ofc - is that you may indeed not like it. It is a "AAA" game however.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    When i tried it "about 3-4 weeks ago" i was VERY surprised at how over rated it was,i never expect too much but i expected a lot better.

I actually logged out after less than an hour,that is how bad i found the game.Now it might open up more and present itself better over time but the initial feeling i got was a cheap rendition of another Neverwinter online game.
    I make decisions rather quick now in games because time doesn't sit still,thousands of games out there,no sense wasting time "hoping" for better to arrive and then end up wasting days/weeks/months only to delete game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I actually love the ESO combat. I'm not a hardcore MMO guy and the ridiculous hot bars and 50 buffs and all that stuff has frequently turned me away from most other mmorpgs. I enjoy that there are no cool downs for skills, they simply run off your magicka and stamina bar. Spam all you want, but once you're out of magicka or stamina that is it. 
  • RZetlinRZetlin Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I have the steam version of ESO and I have no problems playing with it.

I am coming back to the game after a 6 months hiatus. 

I was expecting the ESO to be like Elder Scrolls V with an open world where you can go anywhere, but that is not the case.  I find that ESO quest and level progression are linear.  You can go in a different area in the map but you will be facing monsters that are stronger than you.