Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best F2P multiplayer game...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
edited January 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
In your opinion, as we enter 2016. Blade & Soul of course is coming soon, but it's far too early to come up with any conclusions. Also, anyone who just mentions a game without any further explanation doesn't help much the community or your game.

I'm trying to find something long term until late 2016 when a lot of great titles will arrive on the market (and hopefully earlier)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Uncharted Waters Online.  Because it's not a knock-off of some other game you've already played and are therefore 90% of the way to being tired of the game before you pick it up.
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    World of tanks. Casual and elite. Progression. And you can play it for 5-15 mins each session, which is quick, yet very fun.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    SMITE gets my vote, if you like PvP, F2P, no P2W, but don't like isometric click games.  
  • mayh3mmayh3m Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Warframe.

Current: BDO
    Looking forward to: Crowfall & Chronicles of Elyria

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    STO , great F2P model as you can play to Max lvl if you choose without spending a dime , And STO may very well be the deepest MMO out there next to Anarchy online .. SO much under the hood...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Blade and Soul will turn into Scarlet Blade 2 real quick. You heard it here first.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I'd have to say Rift and Path of Exile as they seem to be the least P2W and still pretty good games for F2P.

imageimage

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Scorchien said:
    STO , great F2P model as you can play to Max lvl if you choose without spending a dime , And STO may very well be the deepest MMO out there next to Anarchy online .. SO much under the hood...
    Another site has STO as one of their most underrated games and since reading that I have thought of trying it out. Did not realize it was that deep. May have to give it a go.
    Even if I never was a huge AO fan (it was ok, just I like the other FC games more), and STO is one of my favourites, the "may very well be the deepest MMO out there next to Anarchy online" is an exaggeration :wink: 

Still, give it a go. Great game, had a steep learning curve (but was made smoother over the years), in the last 2 years it definitely got some love (and money) from PWE, so it has regular and frequent content updates, "class" flexibility (as in captain+ship+crew) is almost as free as TSW or CO, you can take literally any role.
    On topic, the f2p model is good, you can play the whole game through for free, at the end it is suggested to make some convenience purchases, but can earn store currency from the game - or there's a sub / lifetime sub offer as well.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    poe is the only one that's not a private server i would suggest, most f2p mmo's get you pay money some how anyways. if it was me i would have bought ESO for $17 (when it was on sale) and just played that until your next game comes out.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    TaishiFox said:
    I'd have to say Rift and Path of Exile as they seem to be the least P2W and still pretty good games for F2P.
    Marvel Heroes will be another example. Quite a few here like it too (not that i need others to like the games i play).
  • mainogremainogre Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I have to agree with TaishiFox. If u want to play a mmorpg go with Rift. Or if you're looking for something like Diablo go with Path of Exile.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    My primary go to F2P for me at the moment is Marvel Heroes Online. Blade and Soul will be my back up. Then I have a 3rd private server game just in case....and I'll keep an eye on Path of Exile with each new league. It's sad that game has so much potential, but the team seems to be losing huge player base due to its unrewarding endgame for the time being.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I played STO from the beginning, and I have quite a few cool ships in dock.  I have not played it in F2P, but it was a fun game for about a year.  Then the content dragged out, although I hear they added a lot of new content since I was playing.  If I was going to go to a F2P game to kill a year, this would be a strong consideration.

I liked Blade & Soul CB1 & CB2, but I was very disappointed to find that the end game is just about all PvP.  I like PvP, but I don't want to be a slave to it.

A real dark horse IMO is going to be ASTA.  Yeah, I know, it's a Webzen game, but I had a lot of fun in the IBT, more fun than I did in B&S CB1 & CB2 and BDO CBT.  It has PvP, but there is plenty of end game without it.  And even though they could release the game like it is, they are choosing to refine it and finish the NPC chat BEFORE they send it to the masses.  Of all of the Korean MMOs being released in the west in Q1 2016, I think that ASTA will be the longest lasting of them all. 

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kopogero said:
    My primary go to F2P for me at the moment is Marvel Heroes Online. 
    I have stopped playing MH waiting for the 2016 update, plus to play the new D3 2.4 patch. But i will be back soon.

I am really looking forward to gamepad support. 
  • MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    The Secret World.  Sandbox character builds, quests actually involve research, and its in a modern world setting.  

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

Mwahaha said:
    The Secret World.  Sandbox character builds, quests actually involve research, and its in a modern world setting.  
    I'll never play another game developed by Funcom ever, ever again.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    EQ2,not many playing still but imo by far the best f2p mmorpg.They have changed it a lot,the cash shop was a big time push at first but have relaxed a bit since.
    The game offers everything any other game has and looks pretty good with decent lighting.
    IMO EQ2 was THE standard in game design "minus the bugs",the only argument is weather EQ2/Wow and their clones are simply copies of Asian f2p games,definitely VERY similar minus the stalls.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

DMKano said:
    Every game is someone's best and anothers worst.

Over time as each poster says their favorite - every game ends up listed eventually. 

Same happens in worst games lists.

Sort of puts the whole best/worst list threads in perspective.

Unless you are taking about The Matrix Online!  I can say with near certainty that 99% of gamers would put that mess on the 'worst' list.

Anytime you can find a game in the clearance bin for $5 two months after release, it is universally considered a stinker...