Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy 19th Anniversary to the One that Started It All!

2»

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Diablo was one of those games that I skipped over for X-Com, IWar, Gettysburg! and Dune 2000 instead because that style of gameplay didn't appeal to me at the time.  However, I got hooked into Diablo 2 when some of my friends introduced me to it which resulted in many many hours of online goodness.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    I don't know how I originally missed D1 as I have been playing PC RPGs since the 80s, but I was introduced to D1 in 2001 by a fellow gamer friend. It wasn't long (days) before I went out and bought the D2 battle chest at my local Best Buy. If anyone is looking to get back the old feel of the original D1 & D2 I recommend checking out Grim Dawn.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    NWN might have been first, but ultimately did not contribute as widely as Diablo did in terms of expanding the genre  - despite being more of an mmo than Diablo. It just wasn't that popular, in fact, NWN was somewhat taboo. Diablo simply captivated millions of people, and arguably, led to even bigger genre explosions such as World of Warcraft. I played both, over AOL even. Both were great in their own ways.

D&D will always have a place in my heart, but Diablo just nailed it at the point in gaming history.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    Xeno.phon said:
    stevebombsquad said:
    No. Neverwinter Nights the online game came out in 1991.

Kids these days eh?
    Ah that was a text based game.  Completely different genre.  Diablo didn't copy anything from text based games.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. It is recognized as the first or one of the first graphical multiplayer games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEGKVUzHlGk 
    It was still a completely different genre that was exclusive to aol customers only.  That crappy internet company that charged by the hour for internet connections.  It contributed nothing to today's mmorpg's unlike diablo.  Just because you are first doesn't mean you start the revolution.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Love all the Diablo games. All of them.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I really don't care what game begot what other game. All I know is that when the first Diablo came around me and my friends called it a "dungeon crawler" because that was already a thing-- typically top-down or side scrollers.

But Diablo was the best one anyone had ever done by far and took dungeon crawling to the next production level.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• doodeskaderdoodeskader Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited January 2016
    I remember my 56K modem.My phone bills for Diablo 2 where between 500 and 1000 dollar each month. Good times-).
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I had a job which required me to travel at the time, so Diablo 1 and eventually 2 on the laptop PC my company issued provided many, many hours of quality entertainment. D1 was my first experience with online gaming and, while it was definitely fun at the time, I'm glad the industry has continued to refine the experience.

I remember the uproar when Diablo 2 was released. Almost nobody seemed to like the game, thought it sucked, it ruined Diablo, etc. etc. All the older D1 players refused to play it and stuck with the original, constantly extolling its virtues over its successor... then those same people repeated the cycle all over again when D3 came out. Know what? It'll probably happen again when Diablo 4 rolls around. Gamers hate change and love to argue, myself included.

I hope Blizzard does something awesome for the 20th anniversary.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I was 16 when this game came out......and my Mom forbid me to play it.  Forbid Me...

this game was the Devil Himself. 

It was a Root of Evil. 

I lost my train of thought........(too much Diablo???)!!! 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    muffins89 said:

I was 16 when this game came out......and my Mom forbid me to play it.  Forbid Me...

this game was the Devil Himself. 

It was a Root of Evil. 

I lost my train of thought........(too much Diablo???)!!! 

...and then you went to the school dance and set the gym on fire using your psychic powers? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• dplcafdplcaf Member UncommonPosts: 59
    1995 was about the time my parents bought a computer, and basically just gave it to me. Started with the old dos games and even the lawnmower game lol. Then I found Diablo. Fast forward to today and I wish my parents never bought that computer.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Xeno.phon said:
    stevebombsquad said:

No. Neverwinter Nights the online game came out in 1991.

Kids these days eh?

was he really supposed to know that you were talking about that AOL turd? Lots of games came out before D1, and MUDs even earlier. I don't understand what that has to do with this article. Get over yourselves.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Xeno.phon said:
    Sorry but the original NWN was the "gateway to it all" diablo was just a copycat, a good copycat, but not the the original for a vast majority of people from that gaming generation.
    Bringing up a POS that was only on AOL and cost a fortune to play just makes you look ridiculous.  It looked nothing like Diablo.  Makes you wonder if you even recall playing it?