Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player here

Deftpunk79Deftpunk79 Member UncommonPosts: 14
Just a quick question about the seasons. I notice most of the season content is for sale in the store. Do you have to pay extra to get access to every single season? Most games have some sort of bundle that will catch you up to the current season. Then you just need to purchase new content as it comes out. This seems overly onerous to cultivate new players.

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    There are no seasons, just one "season" which is the whole game so far, started at launch and finished with Tokyo. I think you mean the Issues (DLC-like content updates), there are several bundles on those for purchase, like the Massive and the Ultimate edition.

"Do you have to pay extra to get access to every single season?" Yep, the base game contains the first four Issues, for accessing the rest, you need to buy them. However, some Issues have free parts, those you can access without buying the Issue (like you have 1 scenario for free without Issue#8, or can go to Tokyo without having Issue#9).

Usually the pay-only part of Issues (and also Sidestories, which you can buy in the Store as well) are story updates and mission chains, and if they add some gameplay-focused change then that part used to be fully or partially free. (like Issue#12, the new raid is free, nightmare version of the raid is only for those who has the Issue)
  • Deftpunk79Deftpunk79 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited December 2015
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't think I'm going to get too involved in this game then. Too much of a money sink for a new player.
    Err... ok, my english sucks, but maybe not that much :wink: 
    "Too much of a money sink for a new player." quite the opposite, GMs complain all the time they can't even spend their stipend... There's only a new Issue in every 3-4 months and subscribers get it for free, the "bundles" are often on sale - currently you can get Ultimate (the whole package so far) for twenty-something bucks for example, and none of the Issues are mandatory (but at least the Tokyo bundle is "recommended" since those three are like an expansion to the game, without them Tokyo is pretty boring).

If you think TSW is a money sink, you'll be very disappointed by the majority of MMOs out there :wink: 
  • Deftpunk79Deftpunk79 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    The cheapest I have been able to find to get all the previous content is over 100$. I have played lots of MMO's. Let's just take EQ II for example. If a new player wants to get into EQ II, all they do is buy the newest expansion. This will include all the previous content as well, and then if they subscribe, they get all new content. So 40$ gets you all current content and 9$ a month keeps you up to date.
    Sorry in advance, since I start to sound way too whiteknight-ish :wink: but I don't follow how your example is fit...
    Currently the Ultimate is 22 bucks (Euro / $, which was actually a pain in the butt for years here in Eu, but recently the two are fairly close to each other in value), half the price compared to your example of $40. Then it takes 30-40 bucks a year (depends on how many Issues arrive the year) to keep you up to date, compared to your $108 (12x$9) example for a year.

Not even mention the GM (lifetime) option... last time it was on sale for $150, and then you have everything until the game is live :wink: compared to your example ($40+$9 per month) that sum is only enough for a year...
    Oh, and as I said above, GM's get 10 bucks worth of stipend points per month, and since they have the whole game, they can only spent it on cosmetics and convenience - but after 2 years when all the cosmetics are purchased, they barely can even spend those free points, so they just burn them on party boxes and gifts.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's a very fun game.  I would give it a try for a bit before nixing it.

I self identify as a monkey.