Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For all the negativity this mmo is incredibly popular

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
I passed over this mmo when it launched due to negativity... yaya i know should have tried it myself.

Several months back i decided to try all kinds of mmo's i would never try as there has to be something out there that gives me that yearning to log in everyday and that passion to play, there just has to be.

I found a few that kept me interested yet i still passed on Tera back then? lol

Reading about all kinds of mmo's this Tera "Combat" kept coming up and noticed allot of positive things are said about this mmo. Alright, i have to try out this "combat" , really wanted to know what everyone continually boasts about. So I installed it and immediately i was like wtf? I was right to have passed on this one.

I didn't get what all the talk was about and mostly because i didn't  give it a chance, It felt so awkward at first with the UI switching and a few other bungling oddities, but thought about it and decided i should at least get off the starter island.

In the end i was really grateful i did because honestly I haven't looked back, and here i am several months later and still unquestionably craving to log in everyday.
My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• NhueNhue Member UncommonPosts: 29
    TERA still has some of the most beautiful character models IMO.  I enjoy dressing up my toons all the time lol.  

The combat and dueling in particular are fantastic and you really get the feeling of outplaying or being outplayed by an opponent.  One of the few mmo's where the PvP servers seem equally if not more populated than the PvE ones, so that's nice.

That being said they really need to optimize the game.   For  a game this old I shouldn't have to have all my video settings on low to experience 60fps on an i7-5820 and duel 980xTi's at 4k. 

I played the BDO beta the other week all on highest settings and it never wavered once!  That is what I hope for TERA one day.

But I still enjoy the game and still play it :)
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Yea i guess the nutshell is i finally found a mmo which really floats my boat.

My main is a sorcerer, and rolled a warrior, mystic, and lancer alts so far and found that this is part of what makes tera so great the "combat" haha feels like an exciting challenge with every new toon, it's like a new game every time.

Haven't tried the Brawler yet kinda saving that one as i read a comment on the forums and they said that they are "Playing a Brawler while everyone else is playing Tera". Looking forward to that one...

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Its a really good MMO but its just too over sexualized for my taste, gender locked classes (i don't like playing females) and i just can't stop thinking that every Elin is a 40 year old  :( other than that i liked it
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I enjoyed the game during the leveling process and mostly the Open Pvp. But the PvP endgame is too grindy and the questing is a bore. Zones are boring and lifeless (but very pretty) with little detail with a few exceptions.  By Detail I mean, painstakingly crafted delves, villages, forests, etc. It is mostly a lot of empty space.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited December 2015
    I know allot of people love mmo's such as GW2, ESO, Wildstar and for me they all become dry, dunno why exactly, Tera though, always leaves me wanting more. 

I love big open spaces to travel through gives you the feeling you're in a world and not just another zone i guess. It really comes down to mastering the classes as Nhue said you get that "feeling" and not just "ok click this spell again".

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Husvik said:
    I know allot of people love mmo's such as GW2, ESO, Wildstar and for me they all become dry, dunno why exactly, Tera though, always leaves me wanting more. 

I love big open spaces to travel through gives you the feeling you're in a world and not just another zone i guess. It really comes down to mastering the classes as Nhue said you get that "feeling" and not just "ok click this spell again".
    World building is a really big part of creating an immersive atmosphere. I not entirely sure if I feel the same way about Tera in terms of traveling through the landscape. But I will agree that the game does have some great sights to see.
  • EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I think Tera's combat truly shines once you start to approach mid-game. Once you have enough skills that you can do meaningful skill chain customization, your character really starts to feel "personalized." Definitely the best combat I've personally experienced in an MMO.
  • CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Tera had a ton of potential but the 2 things that hurt tera badly were the community and the lack of end game content.  

I have never seen a pay 2 play game with a community as bad as what I encountered in Tera while it was still a subscription service.  Honestly it was so bad that if someone told me that a competitor hired hundreds of people to troll everyone i'd believe it, specially some of the tanks in dungeons.   One of the first times i've seen a community improve after going free to play lol.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    If you listen to these people on this forum that hate anything that is not the next Ultima Online, Everquest or Star Wars Galaxy then you will never find anything to play. 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I played it for less than a day.  I hated the combat and the dull questing.  Since these are two biggies for me I didn't bother going back.  Also,  the constant call "Elin party!   Elin party!"  did get irritating but it is an Eastern game and they love their little girl characters. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    TERA is a good game, and yeah people do talk way too much shit about games.

To me, Blade and Soul is like TERA 2.0 though so I can't ever really see myself going back to TERA.  Spent a bunch of months with it though and enjoyed it.
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    edited February 2016
    Tera isn't a bad game indeed. It has an identity unlike many MMORPG's. It is a Korean MMORPG with lackluster story and questing, but on the other hand entertaining combat and a variety of endgame content. It is a game that you play for the more traditional, gear-treadmill experience. Not to mention the cool character models and clothing.

You don't play Tera for the story. You got games like ESO and FFXIV for that. This is more of the ''mindless'' fun based on gameplay rather than immersion and narrative.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

Compare B&S to Terra, they sound a lot like each other on paper.

• KhazzuraKhazzura Member CommonPosts: 2
    I find I like the main aspects of the game, but some of the people tend to be really obnoxious there.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It's free,if it tried to carry a sub fee it would likely shut down.Games now a days only remain of interest for about a month or two,then some new game pops out gets advertised to death "never more than Trove though" and becomes the new hype machine.

Tera i not a bad game but is not great either,too many games all fall into this "just a game" genre and that is simply not good enough to garner long standing attention.Wow got into the market at the right time,not much competition,a big name developer,tons of new DLS gamer's but if that were under any other owner and released today,it would fail all the same two months and out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Husvik said:
    I passed over this mmo when it launched due to negativity... yaya i know should have tried it myself.

Several months back i decided to try all kinds of mmo's i would never try as there has to be something out there that gives me that yearning to log in everyday and that passion to play, there just has to be.

Reading about all kinds of mmo's this Tera "Combat" kept coming up and noticed allot of positive things are said about this mmo. Alright, i have to try out this "combat" , really wanted to know what everyone continually boasts about. So I installed it and immediately i was like wtf? I was right to have passed on this one.

I didn't get what all the talk was about and mostly because i didn't  give it a chance, It felt so awkward at first with the UI switching and a few other bungling oddities, but thought about it and decided i should at least get off the starter island.

In the end i was really grateful i did because honestly I haven't looked back, and here i am several months later and still unquestionably craving to log in everyday.
    I just started but, wow I really like it. Granted I am just level 10, but so far so good. I am actually looking forward to logging in tomorrow.  The combat really is fun not like the tab targeting in WOW I'm used to. =)
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its sad that review sites like this one rate most games in the 6.2 to 7.8 bracket.  It makes it hard when the reviews for all games are the same and the forums are filled with shills promoting the game or extreme haters fighting against it.  Its even worse on other gaming sites where they do take money from publishers for good reviews.

I dont even buy games at release anymore.  I wait to see youtube game play videos to see it before buying.  I did not try Tera until it went F2P and I have continued to jump in each month due to the combat being so fun.  It is a great game that is often overlooked.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    It's actually a decent game. People at the time seemed to really dislike the whole rooted while performing moves and the action combat aspect. I liked it, I just couldnt enjoy it at the time because my computer wasnt so good when it released. I may have to give it another go now!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2016
    Game was alright. Solo'ing BAMs was really fun and had me playing for a bit but its also easy to forget about if you dont log in after a while, for me anyway. As for its current direction of going for the more gender/race lock approach, its just screaming cheap to me and they need money. The classes in B&S overall feel better than Tera so I dont feel I'm missing anything.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Husvik said:

Its an amazing game, especially at launch when there were few other action combat mmos around, and the bosses and BAMs were just mind-blowing. These days it has a lot more competition, and it seems to have lost its way a bit.

Incidentally, my cat loves Tera for some reason. Its the only game he seems interested in.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I didn't like anything about Tera.  The linear quest hubbing made me want to jump off a bridge.  The self rooting combat was also maddening.  Glad you found a game you like OP.  If you want free aim no rooting try Darkfall.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Husvik said:

Never listen to other people, always make your own decisions.

I love Tera. Don't like some of the things they have done with the game as far as dopey cash shop items ( I think one of the mounts is a campy police car) but my lancer is hands down my favorite class ever.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Tera is very popular and profitable to the developer, the problem is it's cut into too many slices for the publishers to make money off it.  Gameforge, enmasse, nexon etc

They have like....5-6 publishers covering as many regions now?  It should of been one company for NA and EU and so on, they cut it up into slices way too thin.

Also they really need to diversify the content they offer when the competition gives so much more.  If you dont like raiding or pvp bg then Tera offers almost nothing else, on almost every other mmo you can play them just do the other content, housing or pets etc