Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARK: Survival Evolved - A Huge Hit on XBox with Over 1M Downloads in Under a Week

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Huge Hit on XBox with Over 1M Downloads in Under a Week

ARK: Survival Evolved is a huge hit on XBox with over a million downloads of the dinosaur-infested survival title. In a new post on XBox.com, Jess Rapczak, Co-Founder & Co-Creative Director at Studio Wildcard, also revealed some of the forthcoming plans in the months between now and the official launch. The community can expect regular updates that include high-demand features, gamepad customization, UI improvements, game mode tweaks and much more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• renegeedrenegeed Member UncommonPosts: 55
    This is very dangerous, it's only a matter of time before AAA games will be released with this program along with Steam Early Access, not something I'd like to see happening.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited December 2015
    XBox? ... why would I care?... I play mmorpgs on PCs.... I thought this site was... oh nevermind.

This site should change it's name. Seriously. You've already shifted coverage over to the other genres. Just get it over with already... do what the Sci Fi Channel did a few years back.

I understand why you do it... so just change the site name and let the mmorpg dead horse die already.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    XBox? ... why would I care?...

this site should change it's name. Seriously. You've already shifted to the other genres. Just get it over with already... do what the Sci Fi Channel did a few years back.

I'm genuinely curious... do you think MMORPGs are PC only? FFXIV is on PS4, ESO is on XB1 and PS4 too.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,511
    XBox? ... why would I care?... I play mmorpgs on PCs.... I thought this site was... oh nevermind.

This site should change it's name. Seriously. You've already shifted coverage over to the other genres. Just get it over with already... do what the Sci Fi Channel did a few years back.

I understand why you do it... so just change the site name and let the mmorpg dead horse die already.
    Dude MMORPGs are universal, regardless of Mobile, Console og PC. This make sno sense.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited December 2015
    Kind of getting tired of the click bait titles, can you not just say "Ark:Survival Evolved a huge hit on xbox"?!

So that people that are interested in ark will click and people that are not will not waste their time. There have been multiple posts recently where the game being talked about in the article has been left out of the title.

ALso If i click a link, load the full story, why do I have to click another link to get to the same damn page that has the full story instead of the first paragraph?

Its like a bloated UI in a game or something, just full of redundant clicks.
    edited December 2015
    Xeno.phon said:
    Kind of getting tired of the click bait titles, can you not just say "Ark:Survival Evolved a huge hit on xbox"?!

So that people that are interested in ark will click and people that are not will not waste their time. There have been multiple posts recently where the game being talked about in the article has been left out of the title.

ALso If i click a link, load the full story, why do I have to click another link to get to the same damn page that has the full story instead of the first paragraph?

This is a product of the forums auto-posting from the news articles. @Meddle can take a look, but I think it's not intended to do this and only recently started happening.

As for the link clicking, again, it's a relic of the old site with new forums. When the new site launches, it won't be an issue. Hang in there a little while longer. As an MMO gamer, you have to be used to waiting, right? :)

EDIT: Wait, the thread title says "ARK: Survival Evolved - A Huge Hit on XBox with Over 1M Downloads in Under a Week" --- what exactly is missing from the title?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Xeno.phon said:

So a web site that makes money by you clicking is smart enough to make you have to click twice. Your getting the content for free, whats the skin off your nose to have to click twice? Man people get offended way to easy!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    These guys pulled off an epic caper, lol

Dinosaurs = very popular
    Survival game = very popular

Dinosaurs + Survival game + polish = Megabucks !!!

It was right there in plain sight, but they were the ones who made it happen.
    They just made around $17M or so in a week...
    No doubt they will be having a very, VERY Happy New Year !
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Setting just doesn't interest me. I wish it did since it seems to be a fun sandbox game for many.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Gardavsshade said:

First let me just say the PC MMORPG market has become nothing more than a AAA title low content high microtransaction pile of garbage of late that's exactly why I left the PC market. Second, Console gamers don't put up with low quality we actually have more control over the quality of the titles put out because we haven't dropped all sense of honesty, integrity or common sense to allow companies to come out with garbage and get away with it. Remember ET need I say more?
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited December 2015
    These guys pulled off an epic caper, lol

Dinosaurs = very popular
    Survival game = very popular

Dinosaurs + Survival game + polish = Megabucks !!!

It was right there in plain sight, but they were the ones who made it happen.
    They just made around $17M or so in a week...
    No doubt they will be having a very, VERY Happy New Year !
    There many Dinosaur and Survival games even both together thats not very popular but Ark did well on catching the flame on people.
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited December 2015
    Kudos to the ARK team I have the game not played it much due to time constraints but it's there once i'm rdy:P tooooooooooo much 7 days to die atm.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    BillMurphy said:

Xeno.phon said:

This is a product of the forums auto-posting from the news articles. @Meddle can take a look, but I think it's not intended to do this and only recently started happening.

As for the link clicking, again, it's a relic of the old site with new forums. When the new site launches, it won't be an issue. Hang in there a little while longer. As an MMO gamer, you have to be used to waiting, right? :)

EDIT: Wait, the thread title says "ARK: Survival Evolved - A Huge Hit on XBox with Over 1M Downloads in Under a Week" --- what exactly is missing from the title?

It is really good to hear Bill address this,i haven't said anything about it,i don't think "poor memory" but has been bothering me as well.I kept wondering why we had these constant multi clicks to get to an actual article.I also thought this was the finalized site,so it is good to see this is not the case because this present site is imo and likely others worse than the old one.

Sometimes i think this site just doesn't care and only cares about advertising articles and reviews,so it is really nice to see this site actually cares a bit about how it appears to users as a site and communicates to it's users what is going on.

I like to use a term "integrity" a site ALWAYS has an agenda but needs to stay true to it's real cause of gaming first and foremost.

As to the game,i think ARK is way over rated as mentioned by last poster,i like 7 days to die better myself both now and with further potential as Ark is really a one trick pony and that is everyone is excited to have a dinosaur mount.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    MMORPGs same as FPS and Strategy Games belong to the PC Master Race, not to consoles.

But thats just my opinion.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    So I downloaded the free trial on the xb1 last night but didn't get a chance to try it (stupid making a murderer show!) How much of the game will I get to see? 
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited December 2015
    So hilarious there is backlash for something that is actually PLAYABLE and MADE. They have sold over 2 million PC copies and now over 1 million console copies. With ZERO hype (at least zero hype before anyone actually knew it existed).

In this day and age of big bucks pre alpha play packages, selling of stuff that doesnt exist that will allegedly be in games that dont exist either this should be something EVERY MMO player champions. 

They did something RIGHT..they MADE a game (with no begging for money or trying to sell anything BEFORE it was available) they made the game FIRST and THEN sold it.

Now I am not one of the apologists who is blind to this game. It has problems and it is definitely not an 'alpha " or even a beta at this point. Despite what the apologists always go to when it has issues. Simply because it is stated as such on STEAM.

ARK is probably the best game to come out in the past 10 years. Not all because of the developers but definitely because of what they have allowed to happen and the direction they have taken. The OFFICIAL version (while getting better) is still a cesspool, as most PvP based games are. The mechanics of PvP are maybe the worst ever. But rather than change everything they simply let people run private servers and make their own rules. So rules through the honor system some rules through how you can change game setting basically on the fly. It also has modding, and they made a modkit (still needs a lot of work) that modders can use to continually make and update their mods. They also have single player local access servers. They also jumped on board the whole 'MOBA/Egames" crazy train and they gave away quite a bit of money. So they are not only selling a playable game and a product they are also giving the players of that game something back (rather than calling them selling a 2500 dollar dinosaur a Christmas gift).

The single biggest complaint has been optimization, which has been semi fixed, unless youre trying to play it on an ancient machine. You can play this game on a 900 dollar machine and get 40-50 FPS with hi setting. When Nvdia fixes their cards and how they work with DX 12 that should improve a bit more. But since the first month the optimization complaints have gone down greatly, now just troll bait for the most part.

Rather than being outraged at this article the REAL outrage should be that after all this company and game has done that is GOOD for the 'industry' they still dont have their own forum section on this site. That excuse is I am sure based on the opinion that ARK isnt an "MMORPG". When in fact it is probably the MOST MMORPG game released in the past few years.

Its basically everything everyone wants, an open sandbox world with no rails. There arent even any NPCS and no quests. So you literally have to make up what you want to do in the game. That right now is pretty limited, but because od the mods and other things I have mentioned it isnt devoid of content. 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This is one of those games that is initially fun, but soon loses it's luster.  I think the kids lasted a week and a half before they stopped playing it.  It really has no long term game play.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    rodarin said:
    So hilarious there is backlash for something that is actually PLAYABLE and MADE. They have sold over 2 million PC copies and now over 1 million console copies. With ZERO hype (at least zero hype before anyone actually knew it existed).

not to undersell Ark but I am nearly positive (without proof though) that Ark was 'gorrela hyped" which basically means paid PR to look like player hype. I am not saying this is a bad thing but I am saying I think ARK is one of the first projects with AAA money that is made to walk and talk in all aspects like a indie game that actually worked out as such. H1Z1 tried it but that failed miserably. No Man Sky is trying but from a feature set they have already been eclipsed by multiple games now.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    SEANMCAD said:
    rodarin said:

not to undersell Ark but I am nearly positive (without proof though) that Ark was 'gorrela hyped" which basically means paid PR to look like player hype. I am not saying this is a bad thing but I am saying I think ARK is one of the first projects with AAA money that is made to walk and talk in all aspects like a indie game that actually worked out as such. H1Z1 tried it but that failed miserably. No Man Sky is trying but from a feature set they have already been eclipsed by multiple games now.
    Until I saw it on Steam I had never ever heard of it. I never once saw it mentioned on this site or any other for that matter. That was sometime around the first of June, By the second week of June it was everywhere and had a few hundred youtube videos and Twitch was plastered with it.

The first month was rocky, I actually stopped playing because official servers were garbage, but then the made changes let mods take off, got some decent unofficial servers and interest grew again.

So I am not sure where this hype came from OTHER than the players. This site still doesnt say anything about it even though tens of thousands of people play it every day still. Which in this day and age is a miracle, not many games hold that many people for a month let alone six.

Also for a game that supposedly lacks content (and it does to some extent) its 'legs' are insane. But that also leans on the shoulders of th eplayers to create their own content, thats why in the grand scheme it is the most indepth RPG game going. As far as 'survival' goes, its a joke. It isnt hard surviving at all, it is basically a 'normal' game with decay, which is something I said a long time ago that MMOS should all start doing .

I am not a fanboy of it I just appreciate a good game. I actually havent even played in about 2 weeks, but thats because it is a game you can burn out on but once you reset you can go back and play for another few hundred hours.
    We report on ARK regularly, actually. And I agree it should have a forum. Can we get one @MikeB ?

My Review Manifesto

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

this site should change it's name. Seriously. You've already shifted to the other genres. Just get it over with already... do what the Sci Fi Channel did a few years back.

I'm genuinely curious... do you think MMORPGs are PC only? FFXIV is on PS4, ESO is on XB1 and PS4 too.

Yes Mr. Murphy... I think mmorpgs should be PC only because I will never believe any other platform but PC can do them justice. Reading the complaints of Console Players of ESO only reinforced my opinion on that, and yes I played PC ESO and thought how the Console Players got treated with their version of the Client was insulting.

But it's also apparent I am just a relic. I don't have much in common with most here anymore. Time to go. Happy New Year everyone and may your lives be rewarding and happy ones.

• RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78
    edited December 2015

Yes Mr. Murphy... I think mmorpgs should be PC only because I will never believe any other platform but PC can do them justice. Reading the complaints of Console Players of ESO only reinforced my opinion on that, and yes I played PC ESO and thought how the Console Players got treated with their version of the Client was insulting.

But it's also apparent I am just a relic. I don't have much in common with most here anymore. Time to go. Happy New Year everyone and may your lives be rewarding and happy ones.

I am really sorry to hear you say that. I disagree that MMO's are PC games only. MMO's are no long just MMORPG's. We have MMOBA's MMOCCG. and other games that are growing in popularity that work on consoles, Phones and Ipad, tablets and other devices. 

I support your desire to play PC MMORPG's but for a site like MMORPG.COM to ignore the changing of a genre and the news that is important to that Genre makes them irrelevant and frankly gives poor service to their consumers. I have been a regular on this site for as long as I can remember. I am glad they are evolving with the times so I don't need to change and look for new sites constantly. 

Frankly we still need your voice. Leaving in a huff is childish and will only deprive you of the best source of news of the emerging gaming genre we call MMO.

BTW Ark Survival evolved is a fantastic game and a fresh take on the Dino Survival Genre.

Edited for spellling and content