Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A potential living world?

JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
edited December 2015 in Black Desert Online
I like what I see from Black Desert. But I have a few questions(especially those who've played BDO in other regions):

1. After watching a couple of videos touring the landscape and some of the new dungeons I'm very impressed with the world building and scaling. Is it really that beautiful and dynamic? Watching players traverse through the world reminds me of an Elder Scrolls game.
  2. How has the absence of fast travel affect exploration, and traveling?
  3. Is the lore that's present within the game meaningful or does it come across generic?

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    1. Yes
    2. You have to walk/ride and it is a large world.
    3. Not a huge lore buff myself, but for the little I've played, I've skipped quite a lot of talking. Assuming there is some story in there somewhere. Nice in-game cut scenes and what not with the actual NPCs.
  • JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    We all play MMORPGs differently. I'm really into being immersed; it is a role playing game after all. While we create our own stories and adventures in these worlds it would be nice to have something to fall back on. I think lore is a big part of creating a "believable" place in a virtual space.

I'm not really talking about a series of quests that's aimed to be the "main story" or watching cutscenes. Is there a sense of history to Black Desert Online? Would a roleplayer have fun?
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    JWillCHS said:

1. How has the absence of fast travel affect exploration, and traveling?
    You can autorun anywhere by ALT clicking on the map and going AFK.

Personally I think it's a bad game.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    JWillCHS said:
    Is the lore that's present within the game meaningful or does it come across generic?
    many things make no sense, you can have the best gear in the game and be lvl 1

because crafting is fully unlocked at lvl 1

so lore related to gear makes no sense
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited December 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    JWillCHS said:
    Is the lore that's present within the game meaningful or does it come across generic?

So far I'm understanding more news coming out can ware the best gear at level 1, can't craft it with out the parts can't get at level 1 that the KR part Not sure if NA/EU will change or not. Video talks about it in 4:40 around there.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited December 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    JWillCHS said:

So far I'm understanding more news coming out can ware the best gear at level 1, ;can't craft it with out the parts can't get at level 1 that the KR part Not sure if NA/EU will change or not. Video talks about it in 4:40 around there.

And is there no way to "smooth the path" by paying real money to overcome that problem ?

Like maybe buying cash shop items and selling them on the AH to get gold to buy those needed materials on the AH ?
    edited December 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    JWillCHS said:

So far I'm understanding more news coming out can ware the best gear at level 1, ;can't craft it with out the parts can't get at level 1 that the KR part Not sure if NA/EU will change or not. Video talks about it in 4:40 around there.

And is there no way to "smooth the path" by paying real money to overcome that problem ?

Like maybe buying cash shop items and selling them on the AH to get gold to buy those needed materials on the AH ?
    Don't know to much if the materials can be sold or not on the AH, I played the KR Black Desert and stop it as soon I heard it was close to bring out the NA/EU Black Desert. But can be a problem on the pve side just make someone so op when having that gear at level 1 when leveling pretty damn easy no point to it but can be a problem for alot people seeing it.

But So far I know gear start counting some is in pvp later on when pvp it's open to them. There still time voice can be heard befor hit live if people want to play it having problem with cash + item from cash shop then sell then buy gear.

There maybe more people have more info then me about this about NA/EU going be like as it's is going be a buy to play but just hope alot the free to play when it's not needed when there income coming don't become like other buy to play games in a way when someone can go up trade gem for gold get all the best gear one can get even hard earn ones.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    That video saying it isn t an easy instant gratification game, will now make me try it a little more.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    BD really shows how virtual worlds could be nowadays, all that should be standard in modern MMOs imho.
    This game is not perfect and we will see how it turns out, its not everyones cup of tea.

But i love the details in this game, the world is pretty and well made, it really makes you feel immerse in a virtual, lively, breathing world.

I like the story and exploration/travelling so far.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Can anyone tell me where the games lore comes from? Is it brand new, made up for the game, or is it based on something else? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited December 2015
    Daikuru said:
    BD really shows how virtual worlds could be nowadays, all that should be standard in modern MMOs imho.
    This game is not perfect and we will see how it turns out, its not everyones cup of tea.

But i love the details in this game, the world is pretty and well made, it really makes you feel immerse in a virtual, lively, breathing world.

Agree not everyone cup of tea but to keep it buy to play with out going free to play need to be a big of cup of tea and 3 things need to go right being the first cash shop is not over reaching and not a to much a short cut to end game, 2nd the pvp need to be not a pain that is driving even more people away and last the pve need more for people who like pve content for endgame.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    JWillCHS said:
    I like what I see from Black Desert. But I have a few questions(especially those who've played BDO in other regions):

1. After watching a couple of videos touring the landscape and some of the new dungeons I'm very impressed with the world building and scaling. Is it really that beautiful and dynamic? Watching players traverse through the world reminds me of an Elder Scrolls game.
    2. How has the absence of fast travel affect exploration, and traveling?
    3. Is the lore that's present within the game meaningful or does it come across generic?
    The absolute 100% best advice you can get is to try it for yourself and see.  It costs less than $30 as a B2P game.  It will likely go live in the first quarter of 2016 so not really much of a wait.  In a nutshell, little to no wait and little to no investment.  Even if you decide you absolutely hate it, you haven't broken the bank or pined away for the game half of your life.

There is absolutely zero reason to try this game out before you buy it because of the price point.  Even if there is no "there there" when you "get there", it will be well worth the initial investment.  Like people have said, no other game has come close to the world that this game has created.  That alone is worth $30 and a month of your time.

Lets get real... everyone is going to play this game at launch no matter what they say here.  It's new.  What else is there going to be to play that is going to be new?  At this point, the less you watch and read up about the game, the better off you will be... unless you are one of those types that have to know what is in the Christmas package before you actually open it... thereby spoiling the surprise on Christmas day.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I really don't understand combining high end graphics, a living world, masterclass character creation with ridiculous gender locking and absolutely 100% immersion breaking action combat.

It's like this game is conflicted on what it wants to be.

I would really love a game like this without gender locks and with a Batman/AC/SoM/Mad Max style combat system.  Now that would be my perfect game.
    H0urg1ass said:
    I really don't understand combining high end graphics, a living world, masterclass character creation with ridiculous gender locking and absolutely 100% immersion breaking action combat.

I would really love a game like this without gender locks and with a Batman/AC/SoM/Mad Max style combat system.  Now that would be my perfect game.
    Doesn't seem conflicted at all, simply not designed with you specifically in mind.
    Allein said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Doesn't seem conflicted at all, simply not designed with you specifically in mind.
    That strawman tho.

Not one mass produced game in the world is made with any single individual in mind.  The game, however, still feels conflicted.  We're gonna go hyper realistic in one direction and hyper unrealistic in another.  That's like the very definition of conflicted.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    H0urg1ass said:
    We're gonna go hyper realistic in one direction and hyper unrealistic in another.  That's like the very definition of conflicted.
    No, that's called entertainment.
    Daikuru said:

Thanks. I heard the Knowledge system and Story Exchange is a very important part to the game. And that it rewards people who enjoy the act of exploration which is very hard to come by in the genre.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    H0urg1ass said:

Yeah, but you are assuming that the inclusion of one thing precludes the other things. Just because they have made a very detailed world doesn't mean that they need to make everything "realistic".

the gender locking is abstract as it has nothing to do with things being "realistic". If you would look at any character you would see them as they are in the world. The only issue there is how the players feel about it.

The combat is very stylistic. But look at any super hero movie. Say, the Avengers. The world isn't some far out alien place, it's our regular world. However, all the "heroes" do things that are unrealistic to be sure.

Asian games are about "style" and over the top art design. I've said it before and I'll say it again, their video game characters, with the large weapons, stylized clothing and hair, seem more like super heroes than "real world combatants".

This is just them "having fun" with the material just like anyone in the west creating a super hero "anything" would do.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

So far I'm understanding more news coming out can ware the best gear at level 1, can't craft it with out the parts can't get at level 1 that the KR part Not sure if NA/EU will change or not. Video talks about it in 4:40 around there.

PvT Wiggles and the Lazy Peon love this game.

Anyway, I'm very comfortable with that as long as the cash shop doesn't interfere with the in-game economy.

I believe Asheron's Call had something very similar where the requirements on wearing armor were not necessarily tied to your level. You might be able to use heavy armor with a higher defense. But because you have low strength at level 1 you're more likely become encumbered easily since the weight of the armor is heavy.
    Sovrath said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Yeah, but you are assuming that the inclusion of one thing precludes the other things. Just because they have made a very detailed world doesn't mean that they need to make everything "realistic".

the gender locking is abstract as it has nothing to do with things being "realistic". If you would look at any character you would see them as they are in the world. The only issue there is how the players feel about it.

The combat is very stylistic. But look at any super hero movie. Say, the Avengers. The world isn't some far out alien place, it's our regular world. However, all the "heroes" do things that are unrealistic to be sure.

Asian games are about "style" and over the top art design. I've said it before and I'll say it again, their video game characters, with the large weapons, stylized clothing and hair, seem more like super heroes than "real world combatants".

This is just them "having fun" with the material just like anyone in the west creating a super hero "anything" would do.
    ... and to me they don't look anything like superheros.  In fact, in BDO they don't even have the stylized Japanimation, large swords, huge eyes/small mouth, razor sharp neon purple hair.  Instead, they look like someone pulled a regular kid off the streets of Seoul, handed them a sword and then they inexplicably started doing dancy sword twirls.

What I'm saying is that the entire art direction of BDO is hyper realistic.  From realistic looking armor (females excepted of course, but still proportionally realistic), realistically sized weapons to realistically proportioned character models including eyes and mouths.

The stylistic art form that you are mentioning is nowhere to be found in BDO.  Then you take all of that realism and juxtapose it with super twitchy, jumpy flippy, ping-pong combat and it's like... wait... wut?  What just happened?  Everything looked so real and then... poof, immersion blown.
  • LordRussellLordRussell Member UncommonPosts: 29
    JWillCHS said:
    Daikuru said:

Thanks. I heard the Knowledge system and Story Exchange is a very important part to the game. And that it rewards people who enjoy the act of exploration which is very hard to come by in the genre.
    This.  Game does not hold your hand.  
    edited December 2015
    H0urg1ass said:

... and to me they don't look anything like superheros.  In fact, in BDO they don't even have the stylized Japanimation, large swords, huge eyes/small mouth, razor sharp neon purple hair.  Instead, they look like someone pulled a regular kid off the streets of Seoul, handed them a sword and then they inexplicably started doing dancy sword twirls.

What I'm saying is that the entire art direction of BDO is hyper realistic.  From realistic looking armor (females excepted of course, but still proportionally realistic), realistically sized weapons to realistically proportioned character models including eyes and mouths.

The stylistic art form that you are mentioning is nowhere to be found in BDO.  Then you take all of that realism and juxtapose it with super twitchy, jumpy flippy, ping-pong combat and it's like... wait... wut?  What just happened?  Everything looked so real and then... poof, immersion blown.
    I guess it all comes down to personal preference. But I like what I see visually.
    H0urg1ass said:
    That strawman tho.

Not one mass produced game in the world is made with any single individual in mind.  The game, however, still feels conflicted.  We're gonna go hyper realistic in one direction and hyper unrealistic in another.  That's like the very definition of conflicted.
    Yet it doesn't feel conflicted to me at all. Almost like these views are subjective...

It is a video game, not based in reality, regardless of the visuals or any mechanics within.

Not like you go from farming sunflowers to hopping into a space ship to pew pew aliens.

It is a KR game and like most Eastern products, it is over the top in combat and certain areas, but to me this is kept in line with the rest of the game being fairly grounded.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    H0urg1ass said:

Wait 'till they add the tuxedos and french maid outfits to the Cash Shop, lol
    edited December 2015

H0urg1ass said:

Have you played the game yet?

You start the game with a black spirit talking and guiding you. So realistic.

The combat fits perfectly with the game. You can turn down the special effects and what not (I do), but you are only as twitchy/flippy as you want to be.

Playing a Wizard, don't feel that way at all.

However combat is twitchy and requires players to control their character. Not just hit a button once and it all happens automatically.

Regardless, to each their own. Isn't for you? Oh well. Plenty have and will continue to enjoy it.