Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great MMORPG's that failed to remain great....

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
Most MMORPG's for some reason screw themselves. It's true, nobody can ruin your product more than you can do it yourself. They first have idea, concept, what their game will be about, but then they see how they cannot sustain/keep up that concept in the long run and they just abandon ship.

When a game launches, the greater the launch the longer it can keep itself above the rest, visible and attractive for the flock to fly to it. Then it can continue to further build itself from the foundation, making one reliable product. A product that's essential for the MMORPG players to be willing to invest their time long term in the game.

MMORPG's are persistent worlds with progression, short/long term goals for the players to pursue and enjoy pursuing them in the process. They are the most complex undertake for any gaming developer, but also the most rewarding for what they can bring if done properly. What surprises me is from 15-20 years of MMORPG history, all what we've seen, experienced...if anything that should've helped future producers to not repeat the same mistakes from the past.

I'm writing this down as I countdown the last 13 days before 5 years has passed since I've spent $ on a new game. Thank you DC Universe Online (Jan 11th 2011) for you were the last great MMORPG and with your exceptional promotion ($35 for box and 30 days free) I enjoyed your product on and off for the next few years, both as P2P and F2P, alongside World of Warcraft, Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes Online and another 2d MMORPG on a private server.

If anything these last 5 years and longer have taught many that developing a game of such complexity as a MMORPG...requires BRAINS. Yes, people who understand how to develop a complete game with the $ they have at disposal. Sadly, greed often gets in the way....Many choose short term gains, selling ingame currency, items that allow players to gain ingame currency, cosmetics that interfere with other cosmetics players spend their time to obtain by playing the game, or some other pay to advance faster buffs that allow players to finish the goals faster and be left without anything to do afterwards....

Bottom line is...all what's happened, we all get what we deserve....And all those failures at least take them as lessons, to learn and come back better tomorrow. Some will be able to come back, others will simply exit the market allowing someone else to do the job they could not. One thing that I've also noticed is how ignorance is so strong by those who think they know how to make their game once they get the $.

Truth is there are individuals out there who have hundreds of times the experience these lead developers have when it comes to gaming and it's the job of these companies to find and recruit these extraordinary individuals. Without them no amount of people, no amount of $ or advertising can help you deliver a great game that will remain great for many many years ahead.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2015
    You can't really point a fingerat a developer ruining their product,it is imo right now far too simplistic the reasons why.

1 Every new game gathers are large audience because gamer's are bored and just buy  anything and everything.
    2They really don't want to play that new game but do and quickly after a month or two realize,yeah i'm outa here.
    3 Their real lack of interest in each new game that pops out leaves them jumping on every single new bandwagon that gets the early popular vote going.
    4IP/developer  Without question tons of Blizzard fanbois that buy every single game they put out,of late and likely because the market is so flooded,even Blizzard cannot maintain those numbers beyond a month or two.Overwatch didn't last long at all,maybe 2 weeks tops and already losing interest.

Point being not only is not what the developers are doing but i bet if they even improved their games nobody would stick around past 2 months.Point is of course that the fdeveloepr is not directly the reason why but indirectly.If they woudl create better games fro mthe start they might actually keep players on board.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I think the problem is just expansions.  Publishers want expansions because they make money.  Devs have to add something that forces the players to buy the expansion - usually a level cap increase, frequently other "must haves" like flying mounts, new classes, anything that is limited to the expac.  Even when expansions are planned well in advance, they are loaded with these massive changes that mean you simply MUST purchase it.

So the game changes.  It is difficult enough to make everything work together in the base game.  Now you are adding massive changes with each expac, and the changes always come at the expense of the old content.  Why would anybody be in the base zones, you've seen those for 2 years!  Everyone is on their flying mount in the new zones!

I freaking hate expacs.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Kopogero said:

Truth is there are individuals out there who have hundreds of times the experience these lead developers have when it comes to gaming and it's the job of these companies to find and recruit these extraordinary individuals. Without them no amount of people, no amount of $ or advertising can help you deliver a great game that will remain great for many many years ahead.

Nope - as a great game that is failing to make enough money gets shut down. Yes great games do get shut down for financial reasons. 

You need to have a monetizaton team that understands how to sell effetifevely to the playerbase. This is hugely important - as without cash coming in, MMOs die.

You cannot ignore monetization in today's MMO industry. 

Ask any large game studio or publisher - a good game with great monetization is way more preferred than a great game poorly monetized.

It's all about money in the end - can't ignore that.

Yes, but that is a professional view point.  The forum is about calling game companies greedy and devs lazy.  wah wah.  Logic, reason and planning can't figure into it. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    MMO's loose their luster over time because there is always something newer coming out. Yeah you love super mario for NES but you'd rather be playing the latest mario version.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    DMKano said:
    Baitness said:
    I think the problem is just expansions.  Publishers want expansions because they make money.  Devs have to add something that forces the players to buy the expansion - usually a level cap increase, frequently other "must haves" like flying mounts, new classes, anything that is limited to the expac.  Even when expansions are planned well in advance, they are loaded with these massive changes that mean you simply MUST purchase it.

So the game changes.  It is difficult enough to make everything work together in the base game.  Now you are adding massive changes with each expac, and the changes always come at the expense of the old content.  Why would anybody be in the base zones, you've seen those for 2 years!  Everyone is on their flying mount in the new zones!

I freaking hate expacs.

The thing is the alternative of not having any expansions ever is much worse.
    Yes that also represents a problem, but large content updates could be a regular part of sub games, kind of like how EVE does it.