Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 the game of Infnite Cooldowns....

PongpingPongping Member UncommonPosts: 131
I have been playing Skyforge, Wildstar and some other game in the past few month.

So i recently decided to give GW 2 another try.

My goodness, how can so many people enjoy this game with so many cooldowns ?

25sec 
15sec
35sec
60sec
180 sec
240 sec !

etc etc etc

I had situations were 5+ mobs attacked me and my fellows on different classes

Most of the time i was waiting for cooldowns, and instead of watching the enemies i was watching the Hotbars cooldown numbers at the bottom of the screen...

Guardian, Mesmer, Necro, Mage, engineer (OMG the turret CS´s)

Only Thief and Revenant seem to be the only classes with less or no cooldowns.

As much as i like the grafics of GW2 the more i dislike this endless cooldown mess...

I tried different power chains but i always ended up 2waiting for skills to become available...

Make the powers less powerful but let them cooldown 50%-200% faster and the players would enjoy the game more

If i see another game with such long boring cooldowns i wont touch it

Balancing a game with Cooldowns ist completly OUT in 2016 ....

Comments

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited December 2015
    Skills in Gw2 are situational and not to be spammed. I'm sorry to say this but you're doing it wrong. The elite groups in Gw2 time their attacks properly for maximum damage over short time and thus clear places very very fast. It's pretty evident in the raids. Make a mistake on the rotation and you are dead. Use your control skills too soon and you won't be able to break the boss and you'll most likely wipe. Timing is everything. Timing is what makes a player stand out. Not gear or how fast they can bash the keyboard. 

This lead to interesting moments in sPvP where one team is on cooldown while the other were blasting like there is no tomorrow. 

Sadly with the current bunker meta which will stay until the end of January, in pvp at least, the games will be stalemate. As proven by the Pro League. Where games are decided as soon as the first capture point is lost. Which happens some good 5-10 minutes into the game. 

Double bunker mes ftw! 
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    What Leon said is dead on.  Also, don't forget that you are meant to be managing cooldowns across both your weapons - or in engie case, all your kits.  I think GW2 really hit the sweet spot in terms of combat pacing, even though (as Leon pointed out) the balance is off.
    Also if you really want to be spammy, guess you can go for elementalist or warrior and line those skills like there is no tomorrow. On my glass cannon warrior i could launch skills every second  with greatsword and axe/mace, swapping hands on 5 second cooldown (compared to 10 seconds for all other professions) 
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Mage? You mean elementalist? The one with 20 skills to fire for the chosen weapon set + utilities?
  • Lumiere123Lumiere123 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Well I dont make any posts here until now, you force me to login after about 1,5 year to this site :)

Just wanna say, if you got problem with CDs, you do something wrong. 
    As players of GW 2 (3 years active) can say: I never have problem with CD ever if they are 240s long.
    This game is not skill spamable or w/e, your non-weapon set skills are situational. You need calculate before use them. And 90% of them are Defensive skills.

Make the powers less powerful but let them cooldown 50%-200% faster and the players would enjoy the game more

Really? Really? Enjoy game more? I dont see anything about it what make this game "more" enjoyable

Good for you. You totaly dont understand combat setting of this game. Better smash button on keyboard and see on right top screen Combo: x9999 cuz thats make you feel more better?

Well I dont make any posts here until now, you force me to login after about 1,5 year to this site :)

Just wanna say, if you got problem with CDs, you do something wrong. 
    As players of GW 2 (3 years active) can say: I never have problem with CD ever if they are 240s long.
    This game is not skill spamable or w/e, your non-weapon set skills are situational. You need calculate before use them. And 90% of them are Defensive skills.

Really? Really? Enjoy game more? I dont see anything about it what make this game "more" enjoyable

Good for you. You totaly dont understand combat setting of this game. Better smash button on keyboard and see on right top screen Combo: x9999 cuz thats make you feel more better?

Spot on, but I think there are many people like the OP. The combat is deep, however, encounters are not that much hard with the exclusion of few encounters. So you are able to do what you do in other MMOs, which is bang the keyboard as fast as you can and live to tell about it. Which is the issue. 

It's actually kinda sad, the game started this way, with tough encounters but then they nerfed it overall. I remember getting my whole armor imploded in ascalonian catacombs back at launch. I can now solo few paths of it. 

The game doesn't require you to be proficient in your build or skill usage. As much as people hate it, only elitists and min/maxers play this game properly. This doesn't require people like OP to get good and/or to know the game's mechanics. I wonder if he knows that he can lower cooldowns of abilities through traits. Seeing that he has to wait on most classes, I'll go ahead and assume the answer to this question is a nope.
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Revenant and Thief for you Sir OP !

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't like much of what Arena net is doing but longer cooldowns is the proper way to design a mmorpg,so good job by them for doing so.There should also be some very powerful almost o/p abilities on very long timers,such as what we called a 2 hour ability in FFXI.

I detest games that have a global CD of 0-2 seconds on everything,to me that is just SPAM and i absolutely HATE SPAM combat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I am critical of some aspects of GW2 but the cooldown issue never even entered my thoughts.  As above posters mentioned, it is not the type of game where you just blindly spam skills. I can understand if you have come from games where you do that it can be a bit confusing or disconcerting, however.  I actually love the combat system in GW2 and feel spoiled when I go to other games. 
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    GW2 combat is perhaps the best thing in MMO combat systems, in recent memory....

If the OP will indulge us, please post a combat system you enjoy more from any other MMO..
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Skyforge has some long cool-downs but I never had a problem with GW2 cool downs as long as I rotated my skills appropriately with the given class I was playing and I play them all.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    edited December 2015
    Pongping said:

Make the powers less powerful but let them cooldown 50%-200% faster and then I would enjoy the game more

Fixed that for you....

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.