Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW MMORPG!

A friend sent me a link to a game he heard of called The Ninth Domain. The game looks sweet from the shots on the site. No in game screenshots , but alot of art and renders of creatures, and 3 movies.

Check it out http://www.ninthdomain.com

Comments

• MonkeypitMonkeypit Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have more info on this game? After reading the stuff they have on there site I have to know more. It sounds awesome! I must know more. I'm so tired of DAoC and EQ and Planetside. World of Warcraft and this are the new top two I want to play.image

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

wow interesting game...

• ShmeeShmee Member Posts: 321
    in that early of a stage i doubt there would be more info on it.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

Hmm. Not really much to see of it to be honest.

Sure COULD get a nice game.

Most likely will be one of the 100s of failing MMORPG projects.

There#s just not enough people to play them all.

Considering aproximately 450,000 people play EQ,  250,000 play DAoC, and between 10,000 and 300, 000 people play each of the other MMO's out there. Roughly 2.3 million people play the most popular online games out there and 6 billion people in the world, I think the world holds enough remaining people with computers to play at least 100 more MMO's..at least. image

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html   here is some online game subscriber info

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/popclockw  world population info

You might be right though. They could fall victim to failure, although I would like to see it succeed. Call me crazyimage, but the characters alone look a heck of alot better than Horizon, Wish or Priest IMO.

• TheRadishTheRadish Member Posts: 20

Your quite the fanatic there Monkey, but I have to admit the game looks pretty damn good. I think there is still lots of space for good games out there and plenty of people left to play them. With Horizons and Wish looking pretty crappy I think ninth domain stands a good chance if it gets made.  At least from the art and music.

PS - I can't stand the look of the Anime games like Lineage and Final Fantasy 11, so its nice to see that Ninth domain is taking a fresh approach with the look. I'm curious if people agree.

So much for the poll. image Anyway, have any of the presshounds here at MMORPG.com  tried to find out anything on Ninth Domain?

• LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 147

Game ideas sound great.

When life tastes like lemmon, take tequila and salt.

• elorionelorion Member Posts: 2
    Yay another up and (hopefully)coming game to watch for the next couple years, Im getting mushy all over again for the 70th time. image

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    Oh my god this game sounds so great!!  I'm actually looking more forward to this than to WoW now.. oh man, if the creators have the right resources to make this project work, this will be awesome!  People who said this game sux and voted bad for it on the poll either dont like MMO's or didnt read about the game at the site.  The more i read the more excited i get.  Thanks for sharing this site with me, all we can hope for is that the developers have enough cash and are serious for getting this done. man i cant wait!!!!!!!!

• LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 147

Don't get too excited. I think it won't be released untill 2005 at least.

I say get excited. The more excitment generated about an unknown game the information you can expect to hear. image

Here here, I agree.  I just went to their site, and they added some new stuff since I was there last.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049
    It looks good to me, especially the animations.  Nice 3D renderings that look very professional, especially the Malev at the end.  Only thing is it looks to be more of the same, meaning it's yet another fantasy MMOG.  I don't have a problem with that so much other than it's starting to get a bit tired.  Admittedly, I didn't read too deeply into the site, so it may be highly original, but it's got trolls and zombies, etc. so it looks like the same old concept with some nice bells and whistles.

NC > DAoC > EQ > UO > fecal matter > leper''s oily rags > SW:G

-----

Old timer.

Originally posted by Koltrane
    It looks good to me, especially the animations.  Nice 3D renderings that look very professional, especially the Malev at the end.  Only thing is it looks to be more of the same, meaning it's yet another fantasy MMOG.  I don't have a problem with that so much other than it's starting to get a bit tired.  Admittedly, I didn't read too deeply into the site, so it may be highly original, but it's got trolls and zombies, etc. so it looks like the same old concept with some nice bells and whistles.

Nah, read about the game, it sounds WAY original and completely AWESOME!  Im a big fan of UO, DAOC, EQ, AC2, and those types of games but if they make this work half as good as it sounds in thier description it would be better then any of those games.  man i just think its the coolest ideas ever, and im not a b ig fan of the artwork they had, somethingabout it i just dont like, but im still dedfinently gunna follow this game for sure.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

Well I hate to be the sceptic amongst us but someones got to do it, might as well be me.

First off it is made by a company called Tecktonic Studios. They have never made any other games in their company history. That is to say Ninth Domain would be their first game.

Now they propose that their first game will be a MMORPG. As we all know MMORPG are the largest and most complicated of all the gaming styles out there, and a MMORPG takes the most content of any other type of game. After all the most basic of MMORPG must at least have the same amount of content as Morrowind (a single player RPG) and that is a large game.

Next they are claiming to make the largest MMORPG to date by making many worlds to adventure in, all conected off of some sort of centeral hub? (or somthing fishy like that). That is indeed a HUGE undertaking.

Furthermore they dont seem to have any affiliation with any larger companies, that could help them with money. Im not sure of that, but reading their company websight I saw nothing noting a publisher or even a financer.

Next if it realeases in 2005, it will be completely out dated by then, this is going by the look of their rendered models in their art section.

Besides all of that, it looks like a neat idea. Though it is right next to vapor-ware if you ask me. I like all of you want to see the MMORPG market grow and flourish, but we must remember that MMORPG's are not small potatoes, and they are big combersome projects that require extrordinary amounts of money to create. These are not the sorts of things that small companies can accomplish by themselves, not without the support of a large financer and publisher, so it is unlikely that we will see many small independent companies popping up out of moms basement that will honestly be able to complete the task of a succesfull MMORPG.

I wish these lads luck in their venture, but I will be supprised if it gets much farther than a websight.

If im wrong, then I will be glad to eat my own words. And yes I will enjoy the taste (wink). Because I love MMORPGs like the rest of you.

My 2 cents.

FINBAR
    ---------------------------------------------
    Now Playing: Nothing
    For beta info, or other contact info
    see the user info section.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

Finbar,

I am afraid I have to agree with you, especially after today's announcement of the demise of Rubies of Eventide. It will take a ton of money to develop a worthy competitor to the existing titles and the new MMORPGs coming in the next year.

I seriously doubt if many companies outside your Blizzards, Ataris, and SOEs will survive the onslaught. However, I too hope I am wrong.

• TarquethTarqueth Member UncommonPosts: 26

I think anyone who voted poorly for this new game did not actually read much about it.

With that said...

Finbar, you have very good and valid points here.  So I decided to check out the background of Techtonic Studios.  Here's a little excerpt from thier site.

<<Our talented team is found 12 miles south of Yosemite National Park, in the Sierra Nevada foothills in Oakhurst, California. Oakhurst is the birthplace of Sierra On-line, the legendary computer gaming company whose success was the result of the efforts of many of the members of the Tektonic Studios team. It is the ideal location for anyone who enjoys a rural setting, outdoor recreational activities, and great quality of life.>>

I also looked at the staff and I must say, if any of you have not looked at the staff's profiles, I would suggest you do so.  They are all experienced and It was comforting to learn that.  They definately have the people to pull this off.  So I guess the next question is, as Finbar pointed out, will they have the finances to pull it off?

I did not see any mention of a Beta date on this game, which means to me that it has 1.5-2 years minimum till release.  I would hate to see a game that sounds this good release too early and have nothing but bugs.

Finbar, I'm praying you have to eat your words!!!  image

~Tarqueth~

~Tarqueth~

New info on the Ninth Domain site. Background story, new concepts and more.

If you have not read deeply into the site, you should ASAP.  At first it looked like a mediocre site and a medicre game, but the more i read the better it sounds.  Thanks for notifying us about new stuff on the site, Radish.

• cedoricedori Member Posts: 500
    This could be interesting, but will have to keep tabs on it for awhile longer.  I hope they suceed in this as many companys have failed from lack of funds, but who knows, they might just do it.

• OltzuOltzu Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I hope and pray to GOD they do it.

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

well having a monthly quest that is a one shotter for one party sounds elitist and stupid,

for all the people who game on third shift can attest to:

missing all the events, etc, because you don't play in "peak" time BLOWS

TO VICTORY OR VALHALLA
    email me about the Sturmrabe guild

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

My pleasure Doobster image

New movie clip of one of the races I think. Looks to be the Mashai from the descriptions of the mortals. They look cool!! would like to play one of them.