Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is performance?

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541
Intrigued by all the positive posts about this game.  One question I have is how is the game optimized and how does it run?  Thanks!

Comments

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    The game is shutting down so I would be looking for something else.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SainguinSainguin Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited December 2015
    There's no information leading one to believe the game is shutting down. Not sure where Mayito is getting their info. The dev team is actually working on a HUGE update at the moment.

That being said, the optimization is not good. I have a computer that beats the system requirements by miles and it still struggles to handle this game, and that's a very common thing to run into. It's pretty easy to say that optimization is one of the biggest issues hurting Firefall.

I've been around since one of the early Alpha phases and I'd definitely be playing a lot more if the game wasn't so poorly optimized.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,513
    It ran pretty well on my PC, I have an old GPU too.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,513
    Well, it hasn't been announced that it's shutting down, but it isn't doing too great, and it looks like it's headed in that direction.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    edited December 2015
    I'll wait for an official announcement from Red5 before I call it dead.

And about optimization, it seems to be a CPU issue. The devs themselves addressed it at one point. AMD CPUs get shafted, hard. Intel CPUs are slightly better, but I know people with i7s who can't get the game to run well.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,177
    The game engine is pretty solid - it was coded by a few of the Vanilla WoW engine devs. Never had any performance issues with Firefall.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,775
    I played a couple times about a week each. The game runs very smooth.
    DMKano said:
    The game engine is pretty solid - it was coded by a few of the Vanilla WoW engine devs. Never had any performance issues with Firefall.

One Vanilla WoW engine dev, Mark Kern, and he hasn't been with the team for about 3 or 4 years now.
    Sainguin said:
    DMKano said:

One Vanilla WoW engine dev, Mark Kern, and he hasn't been with the team for about 3 or 4 years now.

Correct - but he had help early on ;) and once the engine is coded it's never touched again.

Trivia question - what other 3rd person shooter MMO had ex-vanilla WoW engine dev make its engine? 
    DMKano said:
    Sainguin said:
    DMKano said:

Correct - but he had help early on ;) and once the engine is coded it's never touched again.

Trivia question - what other 3rd person shooter MMO had ex-vanilla WoW engine dev make its engine? 
    IIRC, Defiance.
    edited December 2015
    Sainguin said:
    DMKano said:
    Sainguin said:
    DMKano said:

IIRC, Defiance.

Bingo!

Shout out to my man Twain Martin ;) - he's been at Blizzard, Carbine, Trion, Tencent and is currently at Obsidian.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    edited December 2015
    Defiance is pretty solid, FF could had been the best game out there of  their genre, but.....

\on a funny note here is my mother in law when I got the founders pacxkage and my hat was too small

http://forums.firefall.com/community/attachments/543113_3843908431247_1883382869_n-jpg.4210821/
    Post edited by mayito7777 on

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Defiance is pretty solid, FF could had been the best game out there of  their genre, but.....
    Defiance is pretty solid, Trion kind of went the wrong way on a few things, but the game is definitely in a better state than FF. Which is pretty damn sad because FF should be a paragon of the MMO genre. It really should be the game everyone and their mom is talking about/playing, but due to really poor design choices, tons of reworking, and no long term goals in development, it can't retain players.