Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO - A roleplayer's Heaven?

tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
Haven't been lucky enough (or hyped enough to spend the money) to get into CBT yet, but from all information I've been able to gather, BDO seems to be ticking a lot of the right boxes for roleplaying.
  • Vast, seamless world
  • A lot of emotes and the ability to sit/lean on pretty much all surfaces
  • Chat bubbles
  • Player faction (guild) PvP and duels allowing "friendly" PvP
  • Non-instanced (sort of) player housing
Hopefully DAUM will also see this and give us an official RP server or channel. If not, just need to agree on an unofficial one.

I admit the character choices could be more varied (lots of gender locking and pretty much 1-2 weapons per "class"), but at least the customization of the character itself is brilliant.

Anyone else really hyped about BDO because of its roleplaying potential?

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm curious to find out, yes.
    A bit skeptical it'll work out since most Asian MMOs always wind up lacking a sizable RP community. (Just look at ArcheAge and Aion as two very well known examples)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Yes I'm aware of that, which is why I'm not pre-ordering yet. Archeage of course could have been great, but Trion effed it up with their payment model. We'll see if DAUM can avoid that mistake. Aion didn't have player faction PvP as far as I know, which is a big part of the charm for me (I'm a former UO roleplayer).

Aion and AA are also both tab target MMOs which I simply cannot play anymore after getting used to action combat in GW2 and ESO.

We'll see. At least the groundwork is there. All we need is people (and DAUM not thinking we're Koreans).
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2015
    Archeage...BDO ,,,how do you roleplay seeing arrows flashing in the air?

"Say Abiwawa Big Horn,hows about we go follow those arrows around a bit".
    Abiwawa: No kimosabee those arrows do not exist,they are only a figment of your imagination"
    Joe Shleprock: Well they  sure look real to me,well i remember the other day Mrs.Cleaver was out hanging her laundry on some of those there arrow like thingies.".

Abiwawa:Joe please stop smoking my peace pipe,soon you will be telling me you can ride a horse that knows where he is going while you go to the outhouse, outback ,outside in that outer ridge over yonder behind those water puddles on the sloped  flat ground !!.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I think you can turn those off if they break your immersion ;)
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

One thing that I love that nobody has ever spoken about.

No Fast Travel!

You have to travel on foot or ride your mount to get where you need to go.

Black Desert is hands down the best mmo released in the last decade.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Wizardry said:
    Archeage...BDO ,,,how do you roleplay seeing arrows flashing in the air?

"Say Abiwawa Big Horn,hows about we go follow those arrows around a bit".
    Abiwawa: No kimosabee those arrows do not exist,they are only a figment of your imagination"
    Joe Shleprock: Well they  sure look real to me,well i remember the other day Mrs.Cleaver was out hanging her laundry on some of those there arrow like thingies.".

Abiwawa:Joe please stop smoking my peace pipe,soon you will be telling me you can ride a horse that knows where he is going while you go to the outhouse, outback ,outside in that outer ridge over yonder behind those water puddles on the sloped  flat ground !!.

I must've smoked a lot of peace pipe playing DnD given that game gave me barely anything to work with but a set of rules and sometimes a setting. we all had to use our imaginations to carry the rest.

Good luck with the fantasy medieval friendship adventure simulator though! there has to be one or two that won't be vaporware!

• tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53

No Fast Travel!

I think that just sold the game to me . I've been reading up on threads as to what people were saying about the game and found it more and more interesting . 

That was the straw that broke the camels back as it were . Going to pre-order it now and take a chance something I have not done in a long time . 

No Fast Travel!

Sounds good. I hate fast travel, but as games that have it have been pretty much designed around fast travel, it's too gimping not to use it in them. Fast travel kills exploration and a lot of emergent roleplay that happens when you have to travel from A to B on foot or a horse.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    =) DMKano said:

No Fast Travel!

Autorun makes fast travel sort of pointless. 

Also that whole best mmo in last decade is pretty far fetched, that's like just your opinion man ;)

Autorun does not make it pointless because its your choice to use it or not. Sometimes I use Auto Run and sometimes I don't. When I do use auto run I will sit back and rotate the camera to get different views of the world and my character that are not possible if I was just sitting there holding down the W key.  When I am doing this it really immerses me into the world.

As for the best mmo of course it is my opinion. All I see is Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy and to me Black Desert blows all of those away. Again, just my opinion.

Considering there is open world PvP and PK in BDO, using autorun to cross large areas of non-safe territory while AFK sounds like a really bad idea :lol: 
    DMKano said:
    tom_gore said:
    Considering there is open world PvP and PK in BDO, using autorun to cross large areas of non-safe territory while AFK sounds like a really bad idea :lol: 

Considering the crazy karma penalties for PK I've used autorun on Korean servers at 50 and have never gotten PKd once.

It's simply not worth killing a non-waring guild.
    That's at the same time good and bad news. Random PKing should be discouraged, but if it's made completely not worth it under any circumstances, it takes away the sense of danger when crossing lawless zones alone.

I heard though that they've reduced PK karma penalties a bit in the western version. Dunno if that's just a rumor.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited December 2015
    A bit skeptical it'll work out since most Asian MMOs always wind up lacking a sizable RP community. (Just look at ArcheAge and Aion as two very well known examples)
    To the OP, i agree with this poster.  Don't get your hopes up as I dont think Asian games tend to lend themselves to being overly RP friendly.  I mean gender locking for starters.  Also, they didnt roll out a bunch of lore or anything.  I know we have constellations etc, but there isn't any books out there or much lore at all.  I'm sure you could RP it, but it just doesnt lend itself as well as a Western Game does.  I mean with Western MMOs they release novels either before or after the game, build a big ole universe with timelines etc.  

The game is cool but for example, if you run literally 1 minute in any direction that isn't the main road, you end up surrounded by nothing but minimal shrubbery and rocks, no more npcs, mobs, squirrels, bandits or anything.  its basically empty once you run by 2-3 sets of mobs on either side of the main roads.  

land wise it is big, just not much out there off the beaten path.  don't expect skyrim, which makes it not cool for RP in my mind.  would be cool if you had little abandoned cabins off the beaten path, or carts etc, but it doesnt have that.  i always liked that about western games, they'd have a little farm stead out in the middle of nowhere or sth.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    time007 said:
    To the OP, i agree with this poster.  Don't get your hopes up as I dont think Asian games tend to lend themselves to being overly RP friendly.  I mean gender locking for starters.  Also, they didnt roll out a bunch of lore or anything.  I know we have constellations etc, but there isn't any books out there or much lore at all.  I'm sure you could RP it, but it just doesnt lend itself as well as a Western Game does.  I mean with Western MMOs they release novels either before or after the game, build a big ole universe with timelines etc.  

The game is cool but for example, if you run 2 minutes in any direction that isn't the main road, you end up surrounded by nothing but minimal shrubbery and rocks, no more rocks, squirrels, bandits or anything.  its basically empty once you run by 2-3 sets of mobs on either side of the main roads.  

land wise it is big, just not much out there off the beaten path.  don't expect skyrim, which makes it not cool for RP in my mind.  would be cool if you had little abandoned cabins off the beaten path, or carts etc, but it doesnt have that.  i always liked that about western games, they'd have a little farm stead out in the middle of nowhere or sth.
    While I agree the lore is lacking at the moment, it doesn't really bother me, as it opens possibilities for players to create their own lore. Roleplayers are generally a pretty creative bunch, so writing stuff based on the thin lore we got is not a problem.

I'm mainly looking for RP-PvP opportunities offered with the open world guild wars system. Something that's been missing from any bigger western MMOs since UO. Player faction PvP trumps premade faction PvP, because it opens possibility for "friendly" pre-arranged RP battles.

The lack of any meaningful "props" off the beaten path is a bit of a downer, but at least it should allow the RP-PvP battles to be fought in peace without interruption by the "1337 PvP boyz" ;)