Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't run thr installer - I get this error

RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280
Hi,

I downloaded the PO installer but I get this error on trying to run it: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Now I've installed very many games and not seen this before. I have myself as admin and have tried running the installer from different drives and even a flash drive. I also tried running in Windows 8 compatibility. Also tried running as adminstartor obviously. I e-mailed PO about this a fortnight ago but no reply? Does anyone here have an idea what the problem is please?

“Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside.”
William S. Burroughs

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Oddly the file is only detected 1/43 for a possible virus or malware.
    However my antivirus detected malware and said security risk is very high.
    So i would delete it and use trend micro online to check your system.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280
    edited December 2015
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the file with Avast and Malwarebytes; as I do with all my downloads. Both showed clean. Full scans of my system with the aforementioned two programs didn't detect any infection on my system. I downloaded the file direct from Goblinworks own site and not a third party site. I also uploaded the installer file to VirusTotal and it showed clean to all 38 virus checkers.

To be frank if PO support are unable to answer an email sent 8th December they cannot be too keen to sell their game to potential customers. Also you cannot post to the forums unless you are a registered player and as soon as you register your fifteen day trial starts to count down. What a good way to make your MMO succeed!

William S. Burroughs

I d/l it also from Gopblinworks site and my anti virus blocked it .Using the online virus check1 of the 43 detected a problem.

You should realize that this game was on it's last limb,only a few employees left and they only had enough money to keep those few going for a couple months and that was i think that was 2 months ago so.

It is also the holidays so if the game is even alive still,hardly enough money coming in to warrant any staff on the game over the holidays.

The whole future of this game was based on them finding a new investor/backer by time the last of the money ran out and that would be somewhere right about now or within the next month.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Sometimes windows may flag certain files as "unsafe" when they are transferred across the internet.  If you right click the file -> properties, you may see a security note stating "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.", along with an Unblock button.  Unblocking the file will remove the security settings, and allow the file to be accessed as normal.
    My anti virus actually posts the malware so it is not a case of missed identity or James bond did not tag it lol.

malware.win32.gen.9653.sm!ff

• RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I really just wanted to try it before it died; oh well... :3

Tried everything, now deleted. Thanks for the suggestions.

William S. Burroughs

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    RedRab said:

The CEO of Paizo is doing a web chat on Dec 29, and we will find out what the future of the game is.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• BringsliteBringslite Member UncommonPosts: 75
    RedRab said:

Probably a tiresome useless question: Are all of your drivers updated? Besides that, and what you have described having done, sounds like some security setting is blocking you.

No more "BOX" fee. Free 15 day trials at: goblinworks.com/download/
    Ozem's Vigil: The largest force for Holy Justice in the River Kingdoms.
    Are You Ready to Smite Evil?
    ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com