Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizons Release Dec 15

TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
So Elite Dangerous: Horizons will be released on Dec 15, if you pre-order now you get to play the base game right now.  If you didn't already know, Horizons comes with the base game included.  

The following video is all in game footage.  

Comments

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Maybe something has changed...this was the info from back in  august  i think it was.

As a new player buying Elite Dangerous: Horizons, can I play Elite Dangerous today?
    If you pre-order Elite Dangerous: Horizons, you will unlock access to Elite Dangerous & Elite Dangerous: Horizons when Elite Dangerous: Horizons is release.
    You will not be able to play Elite Dangerous before the release date of Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
    To play Elite Dangerous today, you will need to purchase it separately in our store.

I have not played in ages so no idea which is true...just saying that there is different info out there on when new players can play on pre order.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    That did indeed change. When they announced the release date they also said "With only 1 week left to go till launch we've decided to allow Horizons pre-orders the chance to get in and play season 1 while they wait."
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209366&page=7&p=3222200#post3222200

I like the trailer, the planets look fantastic.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited December 2015
    I'm pretty sure i just posted this topic yesturday
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited December 2015
    The title of your post was misleading, so I didn't bother to read it.  Your title stats that beta players can play ED now, but its anyone that purchases Horizons that can play the base game now.    Also if you just pre-ordered Horizons you do not get to play the Horizons Beta (unless you purchased the beta access). 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Rumors are that fast ranking will be fixed/patched out so if you have loads of creds get them ranks before they kill the easy route.  BTW this isn't a hack or exploit really...

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Every time I read this I think about the old MMO called Horizons where you could play as a dragon.  It's funny.  Every time.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited December 2015
    The title of your post was misleading, so I didn't bother to read it.  Your title stats that beta players can play ED now, but its anyone that purchases Horizons that can play the base game now.    Also if you just pre-ordered Horizons you do not get to play the Horizons Beta (unless you purchased the beta access). 
    read this title "Beta testers for Horizon get to play ED today!" does that mean: a: beta testers for ED can play today b: beta testers for Horizon can play ED today its like if i said "boy its hot out today" and you responded "sure is hot out today"
    read this title "Beta testers for Horizon get to play ED today!" does that mean: a: beta testers for ED can play today b: beta testers for Horizon can play ED today its like if i said "boy its hot out today" and you responded "sure is hot out today"
    You are wrong either way.   Many Beta testers for Horizons could already play.   But since the announced release date of Horizons, people that only had Beta access to Horizons, and any one that pre-ordered Horizons can now play the BASE game.

Its ok, your title was misleading and incorrect.  Not a big deal.   
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    連邦政府軍のご協力により、君達の基地は、全てCATSがいただいた。("All your base are belong to us")

Nice trailer !

Have fun
    edited December 2015
    E:D  Horizons is now live.

E:D Horizons Quick Start Guide

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/348

Have fun

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Elite Dangerous Horizons Launch Trailer

Have fun
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    So what are the benefits of going to a planet's surface? Is there mining, combat, or colonization? 
    edited December 2015
    mcrippins said:
    So what are the benefits of going to a planet's surface? Is there mining, combat, or colonization? 
    Mining, combat and exploration (crashed ships).

From E:D Wiki

"Planetary Landings 

Players will be able to land on rocky planets with no atmosphere while other planet-types have been announced to follow after the release. Some planets will no longer be entirely spherical as they will be changed to "potato-shaped" planets.

The landings will be seamless and the planets can be explored using a ground vehicle.[2] Once on the surface, players will be able to discover constructed, as well as natural, points of interest, which can be military bases, research establishments, hideouts, starports, mining complexes, crashed ships and debris to investigate. The nature of the encounter will vary depending on where you are, the type of planet and the local topography and geology.[3]"

Have fun

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Wah this looks like a fun game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Yup.  First thing I did was outfit my Cobra with a hanger and go land on the nearest non-atmospheric planet.  There are settlements, outposts, docks and plenty of other random points of interest.  You can drive around on little space buggies and kill stuff, or wreak havoc from the skies in your ship.  It's not completely seamless.  But it's pretty close.  I guess you can also pick stuff up in your SRV and collect materials that can be refined.  I haven't done a whole lot of mining though, neither ship, nor ground. 
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    edited December 2015
    It's interesting that it's the only actual pilot space sim out with a brand new expansion involving planetary landing... and there still hasn't been a review. 

Let me clarify.  Only real pilot space sim out that's worth a damn.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I think the mission choices have been cut to 1/3. In addition, the new mission types have less reward, are more time consuming, and more dangerous.

The new choices encourage non-combat players to be either miners or choose smuggling missions. 

Running trade missions isn't viable for new players now - not enough missions of this type.

I don't like these changes because they reduce freedom.
    DAS1337 said:
    It's interesting that it's the only actual pilot space sim out with a brand new expansion involving planetary landing... and there still hasn't been a review. 

Hard to do a "full" review the way they spread out their "expansions"

Give them a few months to get most of the actual landing gameplay into operation and we will see reviews i would guess. Other wise, just reviewing each patch that adds a bit more along the way.

Still do not get them selling both the base game and this latest expansion both separately.  Thought they were going to just sell the latest "full game".

Dunno, just seems kind of strange to me the way they market this game.  
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    DarLorkar said:
    DAS1337 said:

Give them a few months to get most of the actual landing gameplay into operation and we will see reviews i would guess. Other wise, just reviewing each patch that adds a bit more along the way.

Still do not get them selling both the base game and this latest expansion both separately.  Thought they were going to just sell the latest "full game".

It's not that strange when you analyse it:

Assuming that Frontier release 1 expansion per year - that's £30 per year to get the latest expansion.

That's equivalent to paying £30 per year subscription, except you can always access the stuff you originally bought.

When you look at it like this, it's very good value for money compared to Eve Online, for example, which is over £80 per year.
    DarLorkar said:
    DAS1337 said:

Assuming that Frontier release 1 expansion per year - that's £30 per year to get the latest expansion.

That's equivalent to paying £30 per year subscription, except you can always access the stuff you originally bought.

When you look at it like this, it's very good value for money compared to Eve Online, for example, which is over £80 per year.
    Ya it is still strange especially if you "analyze" it.

Why buy (or sell) the base game anymore after releasing an expanded game?

That is my main issue.  Just sell one version of complete game. 
    DarLorkar said:
    DarLorkar said:
    DAS1337 said:

Ya it is still strange especially if you "analyze" it.

Why buy (or sell) the base game anymore after releasing an expanded game?

That is my main issue.  Just sell one version of complete game. 
    Because the games have different system requirements.  Horizons will not run on Mac's.  Perhaps you don't care about landing on planets, perhaps you want to spend a small amount to see if you like the game. So there are a number of reasons why they would sell two versions.    
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited December 2015
    It's a pretty bad deal right now considering how little you are getting in this expansion for the full price of a AAA game. It's more of a season pass than a true expansion. Hopefully it will eventually be worth the money as more stuff is added.

It's rather cheeky putting out this type of season pass when the base game is still rather bare bones. There's certainly stuff to like, but also stuff that just makes you tired.