Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan Still going

morialamoriala Member UncommonPosts: 13
Age of Conan was huge at release. But due to fail launch the population died out rather quickly. Its sad, cause its a great mmo with stellar athmosphere and content. Its now F2P so you can level up and give it a shot! It rly deserves a bigger playerbase. And with Funcoms news about creating new conangames 2016, along that expand the developer-team for Age of conan, its a great time to try it out!

If you are interested and want to see some content theres alot of content on my youtube channel, and if you end up trying the game, contact me ingame on server Crom, under the name Moriala!

www.youtube.com/morialacrom

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I keep meaning to fire this old game up but somehow never get around to it.  I shall try and get round to doing it this year!
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I used to love the fatalities but the last time i played i couldn't make anyone's head fall off. Do they still do that?
  • DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I played it on release for  about a year. I had bought the collectors edition and enjoyed the hell out of the game. However in the end the lack of content just got too much.

After the f2p launch I re downloaded it and fired it up for a look. I was so disappointed in the f2p model which left those of us who bought the game originally no better of than some one who paid nothing.
    An example of this is, I had 5 max lvl toons however I could only use 2 of them unless I paid for more character slots, this for me was the worst and although I played for a couple of hours and still liked the look and gameplay, the fact that I could not enjoy the game I had purchased without limitations was a game killer.
    An example of a very good move from P2P to F2P is the Tera model, in that game I lost none of the stuff I originally paid for, but the option was there to pay a monthly sub for ease of life goods (which I did and would happily have done in AOC).

I am unaware if the F2P model has changed but it annoyed me so much I have not even bothered considering downloading it again to have a look.
  • morialamoriala Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited December 2015

I played it on release for  about a year. I had bought the collectors edition and enjoyed the hell out of the game. However in the end the lack of content just got too much.

After the f2p launch I re downloaded it and fired it up for a look. I was so disappointed in the f2p model which left those of us who bought the game originally no better of than some one who paid nothing.
    An example of this is, I had 5 max lvl toons however I could only use 2 of them unless I paid for more character slots, this for me was the worst and although I played for a couple of hours and still liked the look and gameplay, the fact that I could not enjoy the game I had purchased without limitations was a game killer.
    An example of a very good move from P2P to F2P is the Tera model, in that game I lost none of the stuff I originally paid for, but the option was there to pay a monthly sub for ease of life goods (which I did and would happily have done in AOC).

I am unaware if the F2P model has changed but it annoyed me so much I have not even bothered considering downloading it again to have a look.
    The free 2 play model is the same to this day, Funcom never showed any intentions of changing it, untill a week ago or something when they said this:  "We are evaluating our membership system at a fundamental level, working to increase overall convenience and accessibility for rookies and veterans alike--including Khitai access for owners of RotGS.  We hear you!"

I hope this means that they will unlock higher tier activities for free to play:ers.

If you have any questions trow them at me, im not biased will answer honestly :)

I used to love the fatalities but the last time i played i couldn't make anyone's head fall off. Do they still do that?

They do, and since release they added more animations too!
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Hows the Bar-Room Brawling going ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    It can be arranged ingame yes, there is fryingpans and beermugs as weapons, and drinks that make you.... sh*tdrunk :pleased: 
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I tried it out when it went f2p but once I couldn't access anything in ROTGS even though I purchased the xpac I never fired it back up. I understand locking out raids or limiting dungeons but trying to charge a person to access something they already paid for is where I draw the line.  
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited December 2015
    moriala said:
    Elsabolts said:
    It can be arranged ingame yes, there is fryingpans and beermugs as weapons, and drinks that make you.... sh*tdrunk :pleased: 
    I don't think you got what Elsabolts was saying. Bar-Room brawling was feature promised by the dev before AOC released and was never delivered on. Although, I do agree that you could did it in game the way you mentioned it.

It was one of the many features promised at launch that never made it into game. Which really rubbed a lot of people wrong. So wrong in fact they are still complaining about it 7 years later.
    edited December 2015
    Your thread did get me to go look at the AoC site and the sub deal they have going right now is tempting. However, after thinking about it I decided to pass. I remembered how much I hate the ui and I don't feel like finding a good mod for it. Also, with the lower population now I don't think I would really enjoy the leveling process again. I think that AoC has some great group content but if I'm unable to do it because of population I feel that it's not really worth it.

It's really a shame as I do love the lore and setting of the game. I enjoyed the game for quite sometime right up until RoTGS released. Really wish I could get back into it but with games like Black Desert Online right on the horizon. I just can't see myself making AoC my home.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Yes I paid for content and ended up by losing it when they went F2P. Perhaps the most restrictive P2p model of any mmo 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I tried it when it went F2P but I didn't like how so much was locked behind a sub price so I quit while leveling.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    The combat getting watered down with removing combo cancel was when the game began to go downhill for me, played for 2 1/2 years though.  The F2P model is terrible after all the money I've paid and time sunk into the game I felt like I got no love.  Well over 400$ spent on the game.

Moving on to BDO without looking back but if there were some sort of vanilla relaunch of AoC I think I would be on board.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited December 2015
    I couldn't get into this game, the game felt really odd, and old.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    moriala said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Welcome to the club OP, there are a couple folks around here who still like AoC.
    Elsa however doesn't have the "Let it go, let it go" mindset of the Disney counterpart :wink: Which is fine on one hand, as Kuririn / @fodell54 wrote above, it was a pre-launch promise - but on the other hand it's still a bit odd, reciting bar brawl in every AoC thread even after 7 years :lol:

I tried it out when it went f2p but once I couldn't access anything in ROTGS even though I purchased the xpac I never fired it back up. I understand locking out raids or limiting dungeons but trying to charge a person to access something they already paid for is where I draw the line.  
    Yep, it had / has a pretty strict model for former subscribers, I too used to sub when I play on longer sessions... but as it was stated earlier (and discussed too, http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6809525/#Comment_6809525 ) they're planning to change that dumb restriction about Godslayer. Restricted dungeons / raids were lifted as well a few years ago, now almost all of them (from the main game, before Godslayer) are available for free players too.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Po_gg said:
    moriala said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Welcome to the club OP, there are a couple folks around here who still like AoC.
    Elsa however doesn't have the "Let it go, let it go" mindset of the Disney counterpart :wink: Which is fine on one hand, as Kuririn / @fodell54 wrote above, it was a pre-launch promise - but on the other hand it's still a bit odd, reciting bar brawl in every AoC thread even after 7 years :lol:

Yep, it had / has a pretty strict model for former subscribers, I too used to sub when I play on longer sessions... but as it was stated earlier (and discussed too, http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6809525/#Comment_6809525 ) they're planning to change that dumb restriction about Godslayer. Restricted dungeons / raids were lifted as well a few years ago, now almost all of them (from the main game, before Godslayer) are available for free players too.
    Well if they ever remove that restriction I might try it out.  It's pretty stupid I can ride around on my Tiger Mount but can't get into the area lol. 
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I'm glad they took out most of the combo cancelling. It was absolutely ridiculous that my female bear shaman couldn't perform it even close to the speed of a male bear shaman. Good riddance, put up with the finished animations like the rest of us, eh?

I think they also made AA more accessible at some point and this was a big PLUS in my books. Given that they could make a class but took literally months to years (dark templar in particular) didn't sit right with me. Glad they fixed that.
    edited January 2016
    This thread actually gave me the itch to play again. On second thought I figured I could play until BDO comes out and if I decide that I still enjoy the game maybe it will become my subscription game for the time being. Anyways, I purchased the 3 month sub with the deal Funcom has going on right now and re-rolled a Bear Shaman on Crom server for a fresh start. I guess the OP scored at least one sub for AoC. Hope to see you in game.
  • MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I was in beta and played at launch for just over 2 months in the Tyranny server, had a great time kiting people on my necro.  I just started playing GW2 again but I'll make time for some AoC.

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I remember playing years ago through level 20 and then felt the game changed.  It was great up to that point and then it started going downhill.  Combat seemed fine to me although not amazing as some others might say. Forget what character I was playing, however.  Conan story never interested me so that was probably another issue I had.  At the time it was a great looking game.  I've heard the f2p model is not done well and doubt I would give it another try at this point. 
  • knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I remember putting this one away after not having a job while it was still subscription, I tried to pick it up again but I forgot how to be awesome at it, don't know where to go I was a lvl 60 tank and i was in an area surrounded by monsters, kind of hard to pick something up after more than a year.
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Honestly I thought they shut this game down. I have not heard anything on it for the longest time. Now that I think about it what happened to "The Secret World" is that one still going? In regards to this game does anyone play that can tell me how the player base is. Also was there every a class that would let you either summon monsters or tame them? I usually try and play some taming or summon class in MMOs.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Graey said:
    Honestly I thought they shut this game down. I have not heard anything on it for the longest time. Now that I think about it what happened to "The Secret World" is that one still going?
    Nope, both AoC and TSW are still up and running :lol:
    Graey said:
    In regards to this game does anyone play that can tell me how the player base is. Also was there every a class that would let you either summon monsters or tame them? I usually try and play some taming or summon class in MMOs.
    Crom is decently populated (PvE), not sure about the pvp servers, haven't check them since years (I don't pvp :wink: ). There's no taming, just cosmetic pets - though you can have cool mounts (tiger, mammoth, etc.) beyond the regular horses, which have their own attacks.
    Summoning, the necro is the dedicated pet class, can summon a lots of undead minions and use them multiple ways. Demo can summon a single pet as well, for buffs and some moderate additional damage.

flizzer said:
    I remember playing years ago through level 20 and then felt the game changed.  It was great up to that point and then it started going downhill.  [..]  At the time it was a great looking game.  I've heard the f2p model is not done well and doubt I would give it another try at this point. 
    Post-Tortage is much better now (but still not everything is voice-acted, for example). Still looking great, even without SweetFx. F2p at the switch was quite lame, got several revamps since then, currently the whole base game is -almost- free (with a gold cap and limited inventory/bank space).
    fodell54 said:
    This thread actually gave me the itch to play again. On second thought I figured I could play until BDO comes out and if I decide that I still enjoy the game maybe it will become my subscription game for the time being. Anyways, I purchased the 3 month sub with the deal Funcom has going on right now and re-rolled a Bear Shaman on Crom server for a fresh start. I guess the OP scored at least one sub for AoC. Hope to see you in game.
    whats your name ingame?
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    There is nothing wrong with AoC imo, it's combat system and graphics was ahead of it's time for MMOs when it was released.

Too bad, like most Funcom titles, they always somehow to manage to do bad releases and release a game too early and buggy.. but the game's idea itself was good.
  • Bluehound17Bluehound17 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited January 2016
    Keyword: WAS GOOD not anymore. move on.

I was one of the few who got to server 1st max level for their respective class in  the game, i loved ganking and griefing of people for hours , following them wherever they go untill they log out or pay me  a few silver before i leave them alone.