Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Shutting down....Possibly

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    tom_gore said:
    Sadly, open world FFA PvP with no content for players who want (relatively) safe PvE doesn't work. This has been proved many, many times now.

Even EVE would be dead by now if it didn't have high-sec space.

Even though I still play Darkfall to this day, that has been my point all along with this game.  The only people that end up sticking around are the best players who want even more risk, and higher stakes, and since they are the only ones left, AV has to continue to cater to them when content is added, further narrowing the games appeal.  Its a vicious cycle.

But the game world and game play is amazing.  I wish I could get my hands on the Unholy wars code before they ditched the class system and build a hybrid PVE / PVP version where PVP was an overlay to sieging / territory control using a war declare system minus the full loot.  Finish adding all the dungeons, (sinspire cathedral is amazing) ramp up open seas combat again, sit back and watch the server(s) fill up with people that want to really play Oblivion online and not the watered down game Bethesda claims is an online version of Elder Scrolls (ESO). 

Basically let people prepare for war (if they want) go about hunting and gathering and exploring the massive gameworld without being terrorized by others, then meet on the battle field to let all hell break loose. The way it actually occurs in the real world, not where everyone runs around murdering everyone they see everywhere they go.  In the modern era of gaming, Its been proven that only works in Arena games, and non full loot games with tons of PVE content and huge safe areas to be human.

Mortal Online is another game floundering along because of a similar cannibalistic game model, though that game feels more like an advanced modders project than a ready for release game.

Honestly though I don't see how this game financially can remain viable much longer, but I hope I'm wrong.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Priceless, now they want the game to go F2P or B2P. Even though they always said Darkfall will not work if its not Sub based.
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited December 2015
    Snakex said:
    Darkfall currently has gone silent. Community screaming that the game is shutting down, while the two Sub Darkfalls New Dawn and Rise of Agon will take over the Darkfall IP. Regardless of devs stating that they are still "Supporting" Darkfall. Since that statement from the Dev's we have not heard back from them.
    Now we wait for Darkfall 2016? Darkfall 3? Darkfall R.I.P?
    Thoughts, ideals, emotions? Share them
    I pray the gods everyday from the bottom of my hearth that AV license the game to ROA and DND devs one time for all, so finally i can back to play this game again, and this time fortunately these new devs can complete the game and make it a true and fun sandbox.

I'm really sick of this flow of korean mmo all copypaste and western wow clones, i can't handle these games anymore, the mmo industry is collapsing and stagnating for years, all these themeparks are just standalone brawlers with boring quest, insane grind and farm, and nothing more.

Please, make this dream happen again and give these devs the strenght to fix the game, turn page and be succesfull.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited December 2015
    I really enjoyed DF1 as a PvE adventurer on the 100 or so islands on the periphery of the world. 

What AV had on those islands was amazing - temples with skeletons, fantastic loot. The islands were so varied and they looked lovely. 

AV got rid of them, so I left. 

Not even Blizzard with their massive resources ever gets rid of old stuff. For example, the Stormwind area hasn't changed much for 11 years!

If any future developer adds similar islands back to DF, I will most certainly return.

I'm certainly NOT going to be gank fodder on the DF mainland - AV can sod off.

I kept on writing about this issue in these forums, but I was continuously getting trolled by DF gankers or DF devs. 

Therefore, I don't believe that AV ever intended to listen to the broad spectrum of players on these forums - that was likely their PR people paid to bullshit.
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I'm certainly NOT going to be gank fodder on the DF mainland - AV can sod off.

I kept on writing about this issue in these forums, but I was continuously getting trolled by DF gankers or DF devs. 

Therefore, I don't believe that AV ever intended to listen to the broad spectrum of players on these forums - that was likely their PR people paid to bullshit.
    DnD will remake the align system and incentives to party mobs, if you want take part in pvp you can simply join clan wars or race wars.

Surely this wont prevent some random roamers to pk people, but i think the new align system will discourage any meaningless hostile action unless you aren't truly motivated to be a red player (nothing worng with is, was a very harsh but rewarding playstyle in UO and in EVE too).

You should give these 2 new companies, ROA or DND a chance at least, and see who is able to deliver a nore complete and fun game.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited December 2015
    Abuz0r said:
    DFUW is actually really really fun.  The full loot pvp makes it too stressful however.  When you get killed your gear loses a lot of durability, that alone (considering it can't be repaired) would make the pvp high enough stakes for modern gamers.
    All the full loot pvp does for me is cause me to wear low endurance gear to pvp (about to break) and have a warehouse full of random sets of armor for builds I don't play that I'll never use.
    The full loot is also the screaming baby that keeps all the people from trying it out.
    tom_gore said:
    Sadly, open world FFA PvP with no content for players who want (relatively) safe PvE doesn't work. This has been proved many, many times now.

DFUW has massive pvp-free safe zones.  The loot isn't amazing, the prowess is slow, and you're unlikely to find many resources, but you can farm enough here to make a few sets of low cost gear to wear out in the higher danger areas.

You don't ever go pve in your great armor anyway, a set of gear doesn't last more than 4 hours (real time) of usage in pve.  Why would you make an amazing set of armor and go break it on monsters?  Rather break it on someones face :D
    I agree it is really really fun with possibly the best combat in the MMO genre.  Ship combat, with a few tweaks, would be something fairly unique to the genre.  The world is remarkable being seamless and pretty damn good looking.  It actually feels like a world when you log in, with lots of risk vs reward.  Those are the good things.  

The bad includes, the game is possibly too stressful and time consuming to enjoy without dedicating your life.  Ok gear takes too long to acquire.  And the skill ceiling is really high compared to other MMO's.  If you are not a hardcore no life mountain dew chugging 18 year old you are likely to get rolled for a very long time.  And of course the company that runs the game are clueless.  I quit when they soft wiped everyone's bank.  Regrinding my bank, so I can go out and get rolled, was not appealing.

I suspect they are going to attempt to convert the game over to free to play soon.  The game desperately needs this conversion and the population that would follow.
  • zeropridezeropride Member UncommonPosts: 41
    tom_gore said:

Yea i like it when pvp sandbox games come out and they dont even bother to check why EVE is still going. Trade, Indy, Missions, Exploration, Mining, WHs, ect. There are alot of things you can do besides PVP. DF is just a big PVP arena and thats why it fails every time.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Seems like a lot of people enjoy crowing about and gleefully anticipating the potential demise of DF.  All these threads about what is wrong with the genre need look no further.  We delight in tearing down games we don't like, never mind that there are others who might.  If the MMO community spammed the forums with positive thoughts instead of the negative, people might want to join the community.

I self identify as a monkey.

• zeropridezeropride Member UncommonPosts: 41
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Seems like a lot of people enjoy crowing about and gleefully anticipating the potential demise of DF.  All these threads about what is wrong with the genre need look no further.  We delight in tearing down games we don't like, never mind that there are others who might.  If the MMO community spammed the forums with positive thoughts instead of the negative, people might want to join the community.
    AV only have their selves to blame.Tons of lies and broken promises(both games) will turn your player base against you. Literally a shit-tier company.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    When the game released it didn't have half of the features that it boasted. Than the reboot took out the dynamic skill system. If they could merge the good features of the two games and added some more PvE it would be awesome. 

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

DF failed because of the company running it, not delivering promises and continually lying to the entire community. Has 0 to do with it being a full loot pvp game.

More pve games fail than pvp games. Its just there are so few full pvp games that when something goes wrong with it the microscope is that much bigger on it. Imagine if there was only 3 full pve games to choose from and 2 happen to tank.

Fact is a full loot pvp game has never had the proper treatment from a solid company in a very very long time. AV and those clowns that are running MO are hardly worth calling a company.

Short version: AV is to blame NOT pvp OR full loot. 

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    One thing about DF, it has had it's share of drama. First attempt failed big time, if I remember right the main guy was accused of being dishonest. Then it was renamed and more drama followed. Personally am shocked the game has lasted this long.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Could have been avoided. All they had to do was frequently update the game with new features and content rather than talking about new stuff and hold it up for one big release then screw everyone over with a complete overhaul that nobody wanted

When even your most dedicated and rabid white knights dumps you, you know you screwed up big time.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think if a game like DF were released ever again but had more / better PvE and optional PvP in Arenas , Guild Challenges , Order / Chaos etc.. It would thrive IMO. 

Those that want to kick back and PvE could and those that want PvP could head for an Arena , join a PvP guild or join Order or Chaos. It is a no brainer and why devs continue to try and force this open PvP so often isnt to bright.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    SlyLoK said:
    I think if a game like DF were released ever again but had more / better PvE and optional PvP in Arenas , Guild Challenges , Order / Chaos etc.. It would thrive IMO. 

Those that want to kick back and PvE could and those that want PvP could head for an Arena , join a PvP guild or join Order or Chaos. It is a no brainer and why devs continue to try and force this open PvP so often isnt to bright.
    Nope it would have the exact same following + or - a few hundred people.

The sad reality of gaming today is that if Blizzard released the exact same game it would be a 5000 x profit increase.I guess that is how the term fanbois started,people that just buy anything a developer tosses out there.

It ruins the entire market because small developers or Indie developers have to work twice as hard,spend twice as much as say someone like Blizzard and put out a product that could be 5x better and still make no profit.Now of course in case of the original DF they just inherited a cheap bankrupt game then DF2 was simply another budget build from the little money they made off of DF1 and i am certain they regret the decision to make a DF2 100%.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShaocooShaocoo Member CommonPosts: 1
    The problem with Darkfall: Unholy Wars was NOT the FFA- PVP-Full Loot Setting. This was infact its most exciting feature. Forcing others to work together in order to have Resources, and cities.  The problem was the half finished nature they constantly pushed on us.  They STILL havent released every class promised a year plus ago.  Were STILL waiting for the human mount... We STILL dont have many of the craftable items from the originial dark fall.  The problem with Darkfall.... Is that it was made in Greece, during the austerity crisis with Europe.   Meaning developers would rather fend for there families during one of the many riots, than come to work on Darkfall.   In a Triple AAA developers hands... Darkfall would of been the most epic fantasy mmo out.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I've been subbed since may of 2008 to AV.. and totally not disappointed they have delivered a great experience that is once of a lifetime.. it will be filed among other hidden gems in my memory for all time.. but to say that this game is dead right now is pretty ignorant. It certainly doesn't seem dead if you are actually active and play it. If you want dead, try playing another game that came out in 2008... see how long that lasts.... honestly you really should admit that for being a pretty old game its still kicking pretty good.. there are always people to group with during all hours of night and day. I cannot say this for most MMORPGs I am playing besides this. More importantly, this game is built to succeed until the end.. most of the content is group oriented and sieges can and will happen until the games last dying breath.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Lesson 1: Never make a PvP game, especially an open world full loot PvP game, if you can't afford or aren't willing to buy proper cheat protection.

Let DF die. It did ok, considering. It was a game of it's time. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

DF failed because of the company running it, not delivering promises and continually lying to the entire community. Has 0 to do with it being a full loot pvp game.

More pve games fail than pvp games. Its just there are so few full pvp games that when something goes wrong with it the microscope is that much bigger on it. Imagine if there was only 3 full pve games to choose from and 2 happen to tank.

Fact is a full loot pvp game has never had the proper treatment from a solid company in a very very long time. AV and those clowns that are running MO are hardly worth calling a company.

Short version: AV is to blame NOT pvp OR full loot. 

Everyone I've ever known personally that played it quit because of the loot model,  at least 6 of my friends that were big fans of both FPS games and MMO's and who always played on PvP servers,  but sure okay whatever you say.  I base my opinion on what I know to be fact not what I think is the problem.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Great game, great combat. AV has even come out and said they only need around 50 subs to even keep the game alive, certainly more than that playing. Though a few have put it aside for RoA alpha. 

I don't blame the company, I blame the players if it were even at risk of shutting down. Game caught a lot of flack from people that never even gave it the time of day, let alone an actual try.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    tom_gore said:

It havn't worked so far, no. That however mainly proves that those games didn't work, proving that it can't work is pretty impossible. Almost all FFA PvP only MMOs have been low budget game and usually poorly executed too that. What someone with a huge budget and a great team could do is hard to say.

But I think part of the problem is the FFA thing, FPS games certainly do well with only PvP but they rarely have any FFA gameplay (some have a all Vs all map but they never been popular).

I belive most players want to belong to something larger, and the guilds most FFA games have just isn't enough.

I am pretty sure you can make a huge PvP MMO with zero PvE except tutorials but that game would be very different from any MMO we seen before. I also think that FPS games have 1 thing right about combat: In any FPs game can every enemy player kill you without too much effort while in MMOs noobs just don't kill vets unless they go linkdead. That seriously turn off almost all competetive players, it isn't fun fighting when you can't loose or win. Each combat must be able to go either way with some advantage to the vet but not too much.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Snakex Darkfall 2010.
    This right here. ^

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    mgilbrtsn said:
    That's a response to Darkfall's many excellent social ambassadors, here and elsewhere.

They're all such welcoming and diplomatic people, who couldn't help but love them?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I quit because of the combat.  If the players couldn't run 90mph I would have stayed and loved it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Yeah I love Darkfall but I can't maintain a high stress level for that long.  We go hunt some tough monsters and get ganked and lose everything we've been stashing... terrible.  Some players are pvp prodigies and their arrows find you no matter what direction you weave in, then you're down and dead.  I just couldn't do it anymore.  Tired of being one of the bad hundreds that feeds the amazing 10s then gets insulted for being bad.