Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I enjoy the game to the fullest by just buying the $54 starter pack?

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
Game looks incredible and the developer's vision is so ambitious that it's something I definitely want to get involved in however looking at the eye watering cost of everything has definitely put me off.  For those of you who have played the game, am I going to be good with just buying the $54 starter package? I want to be able to enjoy the game and get into it but I don't want to spend 2 weeks playing and then feel compelled to spend another $100,  spend another month playing then feel compelled to spend $200 etc.  Is there any decent info anywhere with a breakdown of the real money costs of playing this game? 

Comments

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Of course. You can get everything in game later on. And if you want to, you can always join someone that purchased a huge fleet and help that crew out.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    You will be totally ok with the basic starter package. Mustang if you are more into fighting, Aurora for multi purpose including trading (Aurora fights like a pregnant cow, which makes PvP wins challenging but not impossible). 

No monthly subscription necessary.

You can test fly other ships during free-fly weeks. 

See you in the 'Verse and Have fun
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Senden said:
    Game looks incredible and the developer's vision is so ambitious that it's something I definitely want to get involved in however looking at the eye watering cost of everything has definitely put me off.  For those of you who have played the game, am I going to be good with just buying the $54 starter package? I want to be able to enjoy the game and get into it but I don't want to spend 2 weeks playing and then feel compelled to spend another $100,  spend another month playing then feel compelled to spend $200 etc.  Is there any decent info anywhere with a breakdown of the real money costs of playing this game? 
    Once the game is actually finished we can give you a full answer. My recomendation? Wait until they release the game.
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    I was about to ask what game, but someone beat me to it.  Basically right now all I see is a well branded pixel market with no way to implement or utilize the pixels you buy.  They did make a pixel viewing bay so you can go and admire the pixels you have so far purchased.
  • YakutoYakuto Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Abuz0r said:
    I was about to ask what game, but someone beat me to it.  Basically right now all I see is a well branded pixel market with no way to implement or utilize the pixels you buy.  They did make a pixel viewing bay so you can go and admire the pixels you have so far purchased.
    Well, thats not exactly true now. They have the 2.0 and the 2.1 ptu test client now I think right? Just dropped that a few nights ago maybe?
  • cheosxcheosx Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2015
    Abuz0r said:

You know they released 2.0 a while ago and you can actually play the game now right? [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Dampiel_szDampiel_sz Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Even if you have the old aurora 45$ starter package you will be able to enjoy the game to its fullest. In fact i kind of regret getting the Saber, Retaliator, and Cutlass Blue.... not because of the money, but because of the fun im sure will be had doing trade runs in an aurora and working my way up into those ships
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    edited December 2015
    Yes.

You don´t need to pay a dime above that.

Starter pack gives you the MMO and the Single Player Campaign.
    Two games.
    Ships will be availble in the finished game with ingame credits. Single Player Campaign needs no ships at all, you´ll get what you need from the campaign.

The end.
    It´s a pre-order. With alpha access.

The success-hating envious failed wannabe developer trolls who are lurking the SC topics will of course tell you a different story. But 103 million $ already prove they´re wrong.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    DocBrody said:

The success-hating envious failed wannabe developer trolls who are lurking the SC topics will of course tell you a different story. But 103 million $ already prove they´re wrong.
    Oh so many different directions I could go with this but instead I will just LOL
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Best advice... wait until the game is actually released.  

You're buying into a pre-release promise and there's no telling when the actual release will happen.  Are you about to dink around in a game 2 years prior to it's actual release?  Most people are looking to play something new... but not looking to play a game that their friends won't be in for another few years.

Do a reality check and ask yourself if you are looking to play something that no one else is playing or will be playing for the foreseeable future or looking to play anything just because you are bored out of your skull.

Most people are in the latter... and it's really a bad excuse for buying into a game early.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    DocBrody said:

103 million, 3+ years and still only a basic tech demo with the stability of a blind rhinoceros trying to install a chandelier in a chicken egg-packaging plant.

..Cake..

Pepeq said:
    Best advice... wait until the game is actually released.  
    Considering they've stopped giving out refunds now, this is the best advice.

See how the game looks when it's eventually released in 2-3 years then buy it if you like it.

..Cake..

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    sgel said:
    DocBrody said:

103 million, 3+ years and still only a basic tech demo with the stability of a blind rhinoceros trying to install a chandelier in a chicken egg-packaging plant.
    You just don´t get it or don´t want to get it in your head that what backers have on their HD is not what the DEVS have cooking, for example Squadron 42 a full size single player campaign in old tradition, not that PvP trash EA calls Battlefront and charges 110$ for. And SQ42 will come out as full release without Alpha/Beta phase. It has been explained to some folks over and over again but they don´t want to get it because it doesn´t fit their skewed narrative. SQ42 is what the majority of the team is working on right now, in their biggest studio. Stuff from there drops in the online version at some point. Is that concept so hard to figure out?

Whatever, keep ranting, keep being stubborn and envious for other people´s success. It will get you and your five treehouse club members nowhere. SC will be a huge blockbuster, it already is and that´s just the beginning. Cheap B trash develeopers will of course keep ranting and take a bath in their self pity, why oh why did no one give ME 100 million to make the next Flappy Bird!

All that stuff will be even more hilarious to read in 2016 and beyond. Keep it up. Hate is awesome advertising, it shows how emotionally invested you are.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Senden said:

Once the full game is released, you don't need to spend a dime on anything else. You can earn enough (at as promised) to get any of the ships being offered for sale now for real money. The only advantage I can see to buying anything more then the starter package (or any package) is that you can get a leg up on the ship you might want right away. As I said, it is not a requirement.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Games that allows you to buy vehicle or weapon has a tendency to make sure that you have to grind so much that you will be tempted to use the cash shop. Given the way that CIG has monetized this game so far its likely that Star citizen will operate in that fashion after the game has gone live.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    OP:  If you are interested in the Squadron 42 game then you should seriously consider purchasing the starter package now.  This is because Squadron 42 is soon going to be split off from the starter packages and require a separate purchase.

If you don't care about the  Squadron 42 game and only care about the Star Citizen part then there is no rush...

but to answer your question, the cheapest package currently gets you both full games.  You will not start out Bwith large ships as the starter just comes with one small ship.  You can earn the others in game though, but I have no idea how long it will take.  I'd imagine it will take a decent amount of time to earn the credits for a large ship.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DocBrody said:
    sgel said:
    DocBrody said:

You just don´t get it or don´t want to get it in your head that what backers have on their HD is not what the DEVS have cooking, for example Squadron 42 a full size single player campaign in old tradition, not that PvP trash EA calls Battlefront and charges 110$ for. And SQ42 will come out as full release without Alpha/Beta phase. It has been explained to some folks over and over again but they don´t want to get it because it doesn´t fit their skewed narrative. SQ42 is what the majority of the team is working on right now, in their biggest studio. Stuff from there drops in the online version at some point. Is that concept so hard to figure out?

Whatever, keep ranting, keep being stubborn and envious for other people´s success. It will get you and your five treehouse club members nowhere. SC will be a huge blockbuster, it already is and that´s just the beginning. Cheap B trash develeopers will of course keep ranting and take a bath in their self pity, why oh why did no one give ME 100 million to make the next Flappy Bird!

All that stuff will be even more hilarious to read in 2016 and beyond. Keep it up. Hate is awesome advertising, it shows how emotionally invested you are.
     I love how you fail to see the blatant irony in calling other people's posts hateful when you're calling developers and other games "trash".

It's also marvelous to see your future-telling powers in practice.
    I mean predicting SC will be a blockbuster while claiming at the same time that it already is. I've never seen something that already is become that again in the future.
    Wow.

I better go buy another ship!

..Cake..

• gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Shaigh said:
    Games that allows you to buy vehicle or weapon has a tendency to make sure that you have to grind so much that you will be tempted to use the cash shop. Given the way that CIG has monetized this game so far its likely that Star citizen will operate in that fashion after the game has gone live.
    As soon as the game is released, you won't be able to buy ships with real money anymore.. that's the promise they gave.

I just hope the whole balance or economy isn't already broken by then by all the people with their fancy ships :)

Calm down guys.. we'll see how it turns out at some point  ^.^
    edited December 2015
    gipfeli said:
    Shaigh said:
    As soon as the game is released, you won't be able to buy ships with real money anymore.. that's the promise they gave.
    Yeah, good luck with that.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309488/cig-to-be-selling-packages-greater-than-simple-starter-ships-post-release

..Cake..

• gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98
    sgel said:
    gipfeli said:
    Shaigh said:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309488/cig-to-be-selling-packages-greater-than-simple-starter-ships-post-release
    Thanks for that link i didn't know that :)!
    If true, i think i won't ever buy this one...

again, we will see how everything turns out in the end. But that link will make me stop clicking on news of SC..
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited December 2015
    OP hold off till after the holidays and see where the game is headed. Or should I say development!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• wb8594wb8594 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Starter pack is fine. Game will not be truly enjoyable IMHO till Christmas 2016. With a full release including Squadron 42 probably not till Christmas 2017. Takes a long time to program all the assets they want in this game.
  • JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    gipfeli said:
    sgel said:
    gipfeli said:
    Shaigh said:

Thanks for that link i didn't know that :)!
    If true, i think i won't ever buy this one...

again, we will see how everything turns out in the end. But that link will make me stop clicking on news of SC..
    Holy fucking shit, time and time again I heard that when the game releases they will stop selling ships. Holy fuck that was a huge scam. Beautiful.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    What this shocks you? They really haven't been on the up and up about anything dealing with SC. I expect more bad news for you guys coming in January.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Yes, the starter pack is fine. Buy it before the end of the year and you get SC and Sq42. I think they will list them seperstely next year.

for the people saying to wait, it's always ok to buy a released product vice pre-ordering. But it will cost more as you will have to buy both games. 

Lastly, even if the game doesn't turn into anything more than a tech demo, which is seriously doubt will happen...you've spend that much on a finished game that you hated after playing it for an hour. My opinion is that it's worth the risk.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature