Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "pop-in"

LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
Is this something that can be changed through user settings?  Or, is this just something that everyone is forced to put up with, atm?

If it's universal, have the developers commented on whether they will improve that culling distance at all?

I don't keep up with the game too closely, so I don't know the details of it.  But, I do know from what I've seen that it would drive me(and no doubt, lots of others) nuts seeing things appear 10 yards in front of me like that.

I'm wondering exactly how this works, since I've never played the game, and their official stance on it.

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Not sure what you're talking about.  If things are just appearing out of nowhere it's probably a video card issue.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I know what you are talking about, i had the same issue in CBT, dont know if they are working on it or if it a hardware issue.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    It's the cost of doing higher detail in the game.  The better videocard / cpu you have, the better.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    No pop in when I am playing. 
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited December 2015
    I have not played the beta, but I have been watching others play and it leads me to believe there are two things going on here.

The first, their LOD models don't always resemble each other very well, and some things have no LOD model at all before the high quality one pops in.  This causes things like buildings that change shape repeatedly as you get closer, bushes popping up, or trees spontaneously growing many branches.  These LOD problems are seemingly unavoidable at this point in the game.  Those LOD problems can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL0Xg4Tvurk

The second, I see some streamers running into really close range texture pop in when moving quickly that I can only believe is a hard drive limitation.  Like here: https://youtu.be/QmcdWEmw5sw?t=85

I haven't seen this second one nearly as frequently.  I know this may not be much help since I have no firsthand experience, but good luck.

Edit:  I wanted to add, I think some players that have the game installed on slower drives seem to be seeing the LOD imposters being removed a brief moment before the higher quality model gets drawn in.  This causes weird flashing every time the LOD changes.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    edited December 2015
    It's built to have a seamless experience.  AKA. no loading screens or zoning.  It may seem like it's a bit extreme in videos when you're looking at it but it's really only prevalent when you're traveling.  You hardly notice it after a while.  
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Recently found this out after upgrading my PC: The pop-in is reduced quite a bit when playing from an SSD.

Seems to just be a streaming thing. 

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Quesa said:
    It's built to have a seamless experience.  AKA. no loading screens or zoning.  It may seem like it's a bit extreme in videos when you're looking at it but it's really only prevalent when you're traveling.  You hardly notice it after a while.  
    lol this is complete wrong..

BDO gives players the illusion your playing in a open world.. but under the hood it has systems in place in dropping you into a instance

Even when farming mobs

i thought  poeople knew this
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Quesa said:

BDO gives players the illusion your playing in a open world.. but under the hood it has systems in place in dropping you into a instance

Even when farming mobs

Source?
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited December 2015
    Quesa said:

Even when farming mobs

Source?
    Well, technically, a seamless world still generally has "zoning", it's just designed to go unnoticed.

As to what Copperfield says, I was curious.  I assume he's referring to "phasing" rather than 'instances'.

From what I can tell, the Koreans are all on a megaserver(basically what ESO and the like use).  Though, it sounds like the Korean megaserver uses multiple 'channels' that you can switch between(switch between phases manually, basically).
    Note:  They started off with multiple traditional servers but later got merged into one big megaserver system.

Moving on...  Apparently, so far, the EU/NA servers are not planned to have a megaserver, but the traditional shard/server system.  Though, that quite probably will change(if I had to guess), simply due to the drawbacks of the old systems(read: dead/low pop. servers).  Though, the latest article I read was from Nov. 27th or so.

Daum Diary
    do a quick ctrl+F and search "Mega" and you'll see what I'm referring to.

As to whether BD uses basic phasing, I didn't see/stumble upon any real info on that.  It seems unlikely, since there generally isn't much need for that on a single, traditional server, but who knows. 

Someone who actually plays the game may have experienced if that happens.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    He is talking about draw distance and actually seeing it draw right in front of you.
    Yes that completely drives me nuts in games,especially bad if you see trees sculpting right in front of you.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Black Desert has terrible pop-in?

Why, why, as PC gamers, do we continue to have to suffer this garbage without any options for us to choose our LOD detail?  Developers need to open this up in all games for us to choose what we want for every LoD model in the game.

Basically just castrates the games when played on future PCs, a negative experience for everyone in the end.  Seen it so much when I go back and play older games..