Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playstation RPG developer Idea Factory pulling out of the West due to censorship.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited December 2015 in General Gaming
Playstation developer Idea Factory will no longer release censored games in the West.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-07/idea-factory-intl-president-we-dont-want-to-censor-anymore/.96176

President Haru Akenaga stated that certain views on the sexualization of women in video games in the West have "stopped us from localizing certain Compile Heart games." Akenaga added, "We don't want to censor anymore because we know that's not true to the original developed art."

Post edited by Kiyoris on

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited December 2015
    DMKano said:
    This again
    agree, it's ridiculous and sad one of the largest Japanese RPG developers is forced to abandon the West due to SJW
    edited December 2015
    DMKano said:
    Kiyoris said:
    DMKano said:
    This again
    agree, it's ridiculous and sad one of the largest Japanese RPG developers is forced to abandon the West due to SJW
    Your agenda is showing
    reported

if you're not a fan of these games, just leave
    DMKano said:
    How many threads are you going to start on the same thing?
    I have never started a thread on this. It's one of the largest Japanese RPG developers. 

What does it matter to you. Leave the thread if you don't like the thread instead of trolling it.

Go, shoo.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    That gameplay is hilarious. Not something I would buy but I wonder if it was the rating system that was the problem. Just slap MA on there and not listen to the rabble? The irony here is that it was a woman winning the "encounter." ;)
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    @Kiyoris I think you have been trolled. Did you see the video you posted? It obviously is a fake video. The voice? The jacking off and nipple-twisting of the Vita? Seriously, you think that is real?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited December 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    @Kiyoris I think you have been trolled. Did you see the video you posted? It obviously is a fake video. The voice? The jacking off and nipple-twisting of the Vita? Seriously, you think that is real?
    what? The video is real, it's a channel about censorship in gaming.

Here is an article about it if you want: http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/idea-factory-will-no-longer-localize-games-which-need-censoring-for-western-regulations/

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    edited December 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:

(if you are trolling me, I'll report)
    Yes it's a "real" video. But the subject is not. C'mon think about it. I won't go to the Youtube page but I'm sure that they are making fun of Anime games.

EDIT: I went to your link. I know that the censorship issue is real but again, the gameplay in the video is obviously fake as hell.

Also I agree that SJW are the bane of liberal society.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited December 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:

Yes it's a "real" video. But the subject is not. C'mon think about it. I won't go to the Youtube page but I'm sure that they are making fun of Anime games.
    It's real:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-07/idea-factory-intl-president-we-dont-want-to-censor-anymore/.96176

http://segmentnext.com/2015/12/16/idea-factory-to-cease-localizing-games-requiring-censorship-for-western-market/

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4651-idea-factory-international-interview-on-steam-otome-games-and-the-topic-of-censorship

Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:

It's real:

http://segmentnext.com/2015/12/16/idea-factory-to-cease-localizing-games-requiring-censorship-for-western-market/

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/4651-idea-factory-international-interview-on-steam-otome-games-and-the-topic-of-censorship

So which game is the jack off my Vita game? All I'm seeing is FF type games in those articles.

BTW I do agree that the US goes overboard as far as how it treats certain types of Anime.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:

Here is an article about it if you want: http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/idea-factory-will-no-longer-localize-games-which-need-censoring-for-western-regulations/

It's hard to tell if it is real or if you have just fallen for some elaborate hoax video, the guy jacking off a psvita didn't exactly lend credence to it being legit, made it seem more of a jokey kind of thing.
    But other than that, isn't this just another complaint piece about the ratings systems used in the west, and how they affect sexualised content?
    So here is a question for you Kiyoris, seeing as how Dead or Alive extreme 3 is one of the subject pieces you are complaining about etc. What age rating would you personally put on it?
    12 years old +
    15 years old +
    or
    18 years old +

This is after all the crux of your complaints, so i would be interested to know what your views on it are.
    edited December 2015
    Phry said:

So here is a question for you Kiyoris, seeing as how Dead or Alive extreme 3 is one of the subject pieces you are complaining about etc. What age rating would you personally put on it?
    12 years old +
    15 years old +
    or
    18 years old +
    Me? I wouldn't put any rating on it, it's a harmless game. Children are exposed to more nudity by going to the local church here watching busts of statues than to playing DOAX3.
    Kiyoris said:
    Phry said:

12 years old +
    15 years old +
    or
    18 years old +
    Me? I wouldn't put any rating on it, it's a harmless game. Children are exposed to more nudity by going to the local church here watching busts of statues than to playing DOAX3.
    Oh! What church are you going to? I wanna join!

On-topic: I would put 16+ but that's just to cover my ass as a publisher. You can see as much on any beach during the summer. Or any commercial on TV.

edited December 2015
    bartoni33 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Phry said:

12 years old +
    15 years old +
    or
    18 years old +

Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Phry said:

12 years old +
    15 years old +
    or
    18 years old +

Be serious for once OP. You can't compare those two pics to these two:

I'm (kinda) on your side here but just as you and your ilk do with SC you are blowing issues waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Why am I even posting here? I can't stand Anime.

edited December 2015
    bartoni33 said:

I'm (kinda) on your side here but just as you and your ilk do with SC you are blowing issues waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Us players didn't start it, we never cared about what other people thought, we just played games.

Non-gamer groups started to make an issue about it.

This was ok and didn't need a special rating in the 90s:

edited December 2015

bartoni33 said:
     you are blowing issues way out of proportion.

well, when massive RPG developers like Idea Factory, which is responsible for a large number of RPG on Playstation, starts pulling out of the West, it is a major deal

they have  combined of around 60 official A titles on PSP, Vita Xbox and Playstation, this is no longer about one game, this is a developer just being completely fed up with the recent Western SJW idiocy that they can no longer be bothered anymore
    Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:

Us players didn't start it, we never cared about what other people thought, we just played games.

This was ok and didn't need a rating in the 90s:

Well you can thank Tipper Gore and her merry band of buzzkills for getting the censoring thing started in the 90's. Again I agree with you there.

But 16-bit graphics didn't get people hot and bothered on the sexualation front though. Violence yes. Pixel boobs that were barely visual, no. I blame the advances in video rendering for that. Hell that first picture I posted is fap-worthy and I don't find non-reallife females sexy at all!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I think you are all missing the point.

The censorship is not about sexualisation of women, but sexualisation of children which looks pretty rampant on Asian games due to the Manga culture.
    Personally I won't miss Idea Factory games, so it is good news.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2015
    I hope they add english subtitles to their Japanese games so i can happily continue to buy their awesome JRPGs directly from Japan. Anita Sarkeesian has zero influence in Japan so ill buy games from them instead.

Phry said:
    Kiyoris said:
    bartoni33 said:

the guy jacking off a psvita didn't exactly lend credence to it being legit, made it seem more of a jokey kind of thing.
    She, and I thought that was fake too until I looked at the effects and "progress bar" in the upper left of the screen. Seems like a legit game.
    ste2000 said:

The censorship is not about sexualisation of women, but sexualisation of children which looks pretty rampant on Asian games due to the Manga culture.

Fair point.
    I hope they add english subtitles to their Japanese games so i can happily continue to buy their awesome JRPGs directly from Japan. Anita Sarkeesian has zero influence in Japan so ill buy games from them instead.
    Same, I already sent an email to several companies asking for English versions so people can import easily.
    ste2000 said:

Ahh if that's the case then I can see why they are being censored. The West, particularly the U.S., will always err on the side of caution when it comes to that.

@Aelious: That whole video is so fake it makes Milli Vanilli look like the Beatles!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    For some reason the OP reminds me of the time when  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVCvM4H5vA
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

edited December 2015
    ste2000 said:

You can only make that argument about a few games.

And it makes no sense in Europe. The age of sexual consent in Europe here is  around 14 to 16.

The only reason a guy wouldn't be attracted to a sexy 16 year old, is if they're into men instead of women.

You could argue it isn't socially acceptable in some areas, but it is perfectly biologically normal for a boy or male to be attracted to someone who is 16, or 18. If you're not, you have either a hormonal problem, you're not telling the truth, or you're into men instead.

This discussion has been closed.