Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game worth playing in 2016 as a newcomer?

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
Hey everyone!

I have been interested in this game for a while now, so I bought all the expansions and packs from the marketplace for only 20 euros, which I think is a really good price for all the content. The fun thing is tho: I have only tried the game for some hours, which was like several years ago. Today, I do not even know if it is worth playing anymore! So, what would you say?

How is the population, community, gameplay and so forth? I want to have a fun and great time like I do in LOTRO, so will I be able to get it from this game also? I have read some bad things about elitism in the community and other stuff from some players that reccomend to stay off from the game. How come?

I am contacting Turbine later today to ask for help with adding DDO, but maybe I should ask for a refund instead?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I don't really hear much about it. I'd say it's pretty dead beside the hardcore players.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Aori said:
    It is mostly a singleplayer experience now, it isn't bad to play through the main story and see the world though. 

If you like having a sprawling world full of players, it will let ya down.
    I don't mind having a singleplayer experience, but I would still like to be in a guild to have someone to talk to or do some stuff from time to time, or see a random player in a city late at night running around. But the question is: will I be able to solo without party members all the way up to "end game"?
  • Sk00baSk00ba Member UncommonPosts: 20
    If you're looking for a great single person experience, SWTOR won't let you down.
    bwwianakiev
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    In reality the game was never worth playing. It is pretty awful as far as a representation of what a D&D experience should be. But if you don't mind a single player dungeon lobby and a brown bland looking world and lots and lots of repetition for little reward, well then this might be the game you are looking for.
    bwwianakiev

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Dauntis said:
    In reality the game was never worth playing. It is pretty awful as far as a representation of what a D&D experience should be. But if you don't mind a single player dungeon lobby and a brown bland looking world and lots and lots of repetition for little reward, well then this might be the game you are looking for.
    Is it really that bad? I find the world very charming and beautiful in its own way, like the first Guild Wars or even LOTRO that I know a lot of people hate because of the graphics. Regarding the D&D experience, I have had none before, so I don't have anything to compare it with and no expectations. What's bugging me is the word "repetition" which I do not like, if the game is like a big grindfest of booring dungeon crawling. Hmm, still don't know if I should ask for a refund or just go with it.... :/
    Aori said:
    Kanyl said:
    Dauntis said:
    Is it really that bad? I find the world very charming and beautiful in its own way, like the first Guild Wars or even LOTRO that I know a lot of people hate because of the graphics. Regarding the D&D experience, I have had none before, so I don't have anything to compare it with and no expectations. What's bugging me is the word "repetition" which I do not like, if the game is like a big grindfest of booring dungeon crawling. Hmm, still don't know if I should ask for a refund or just go with it.... :/
    Its an ok game, just nothing to write home about. All current MMOs are pretty repetitive, you just have to find one you like.
    Yeah that is true, but I still would like some light on this matter to point out if there is SOMETHING special about this game that makes it worth playing. Or else I just might hang around in LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR or ESO and ask Turbine for a refund :pleased: 
  • shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Dauntis said:

is this guy REALLY begging for donations ?  LOL
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    I love it. It is the best D&D dungeon sim around. It stay close enough to the rules to make sense to a D&D player while still adding a few needed mechanics to make the game work as a MMO.

Be prepaired to pay though. While the game in theory has enough free content to get you to lvl 20 wihtout spending a dime, you will cheat yourself for the best content by doing so. On the bright side all bought races and content are account wide permanent unlocks, so no micropayment drain there.

Does the game have problems? Sure! It is not perfect, but it is the one MMO besides EVE that I keep returning to.
    hfztt said:
    I love it. It is the best D&D dungeon sim around. It stay close enough to the rules to make sense to a D&D player while still adding a few needed mechanics to make the game work as a MMO.

Be prepaired to pay though. While the game in theory has enough free content to get you to lvl 20 wihtout spending a dime, you will cheat yourself for the best content by doing so. On the bright side all bought races and content are account wide permanent unlocks, so no micropayment drain there.

Does the game have problems? Sure! It is not perfect, but it is the one MMO besides EVE that I keep returning to.
    Finally! Someone that approves the game! I know there is a heavy block regarding the content and the F2P model, but I am prepared to pay the VIP. I should get everything available right, if I own all the expansions and play as a VIP player? Or do I still need to unlock certain things?

Anyways, do you have some more things to add, to why you love the game besides being a D&D themed mmorpg? :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2015
    Dauntis said:
    Yep i was turned off in the first 5 minutes.Very cheap game riding on the IP name alone and not being even close to a triple A product.Why on earth did the OP go right out and buy everything it offers without first trying it?

This is how all these bad games make money,so many people buying on a whim.Every single game i bought on a whim without first checking it out was just total disappointment.I would be hard pressed to say there was ever a game i went in blindly and was pleasantly surprised.
    Now i did manage to play the game sort of off/on for about 6 weeks or so but it hardly ever kept my interest,i was always thinking of others games i would rather be playing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I had some fun playing it like it was a single player game.  I thought the combat was about as good as you could get while trying to make it resemble D&D.  I didn't stick around for too long because it does not do anything particularly well, and does not leave much of an impression.  There are better combat games, better story games, and better D&D based games.  Even if you limit yourself to F2P you will find games that do each aspect better.

Since you already invested in it, I would just give it a go until you get bored.  It may not be particularly good, but it was not particularly bad, either.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    If you've already bought all the quest packs they it shouldn't be too repetitious for you.  Count on running each dungeon 3 times on each of the 3 level settings.  Now for someone like me that only has a couple of the packs, sure I re-run dungeons, especially one's I like.  You might not need too since you have more to choose from.

Still a number of players and plenty of guild's to go around.  Look on the official forums under the server posting's to see what's available.

The end game dungeons do attract the more elite player.  Would you be welcome as a newbie?  Probably not, but the LFG postings sometimes show if it's a zerg or slow crawl and all you have to do is ask.

It's a fun game and worth it.  Since you have the packs, all VIP will get you is TP's to spend in the store so it might be more worth it to go F2p at the start or buy VIP and only run it 1 or 2 months then go F2p since they'll then list you as a preferred player and not a 'right off the boat new' F2p player.  As a preferred player (can't remember the name they use) you don't have all the straight F2p restriction's on you.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• bobodaclown13bobodaclown13 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited January 2016
    I played this game since it came out (just quit).  I would say the best thing it has to offer is character building.  

You can come up with build theories, make the character, see how it develops, tweak it, and really make you own individualised character.

There are layers upon layers of customisation.  At a basic level (there is more than this):

1)  You select your starting stats.  You choose your strength, dexterity, charisma etc. You build your character.  No predetermined characteristics.

2)  Multi-classing - there are 14 classes.  You can mix your build with up to 3 of them.

3)  Feats:  Every so many levels you get to choose feats - essentially big bonuses that tweak your build.

4)  Enhancement Points:  Each class gets essentially 3 'talent trees' and your race gets a talent tree.  You can spend your points across up to 6 talent trees.

This is to me what makes DDO 'special'.  This is what kept me playing.

If you don't like character building, theorising and seeing your thoughts come into fruition, I think this game is probably too outdated and has too many other issues to provide enjoyment for a lot of people.

• TruesightsageTruesightsage Member CommonPosts: 3
    To answer the OP This game is definitely not worth playing.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    It used to be the best game of its time, no other game had better character customization with all the feats, traits class combos etc....and then 10 years passed without any decent updates. (except a new OP class that you have to buy with cash and new dungeons with new drops that makes everything before that obsolete)
    their f2p method started out good but then failed hard..
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I've just written a pretty negative post in another thread about this game, but the above poster is correct, for the first few years of it's life, maybe more, it was a great game, and again the above poster is right, it *still* has one of the most in-depth character customizations around.

They just fecked it all up.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Good Necro Yuck,

And yet the game is still being played.  Another expansion has been released and judging by the numbers during the Halloween event there are still alot of players, both old and new playing.  

If you want a D&D dungeon crawl feel, this is still the place to get it.  

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    If you want a solo adventure where the only thing you do is feel useless in a party, this game is it.