Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silicon Valley does't want you if you're over 30.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited December 2015 in Off-Topic Discussion

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tech-workers-over-50-literally-131500241.html

"The average age of Googlers is 30. Notice only one of these Googlers has gray hair.

People in their 30's are tolerated. "Don't fund anyone over 30"

A group at Google called "Greylers" is for Google employees over 40.

Almost all of the people we spoke with said they had directly experienced ageism at their jobs after they turned 50.

One said he even had to inflict it. He was a former manager at a huge global tech company that had multiple rounds of layoffs.

Firing people just because of their age is illegal, says labor lawyer Kelly Dermody at firm Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein in San Francisco.

In 2014, age complaints jumped to 4,510.

When it comes to being a woman over 50, things can be even scarier."

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    The world is not a perfect place.  Never has been, never will be.  
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think in some companies there can be a degree of ageism because they are relatively new. But I think there are simpler explanations.

There are 3 main things affecting older employees. First most new employees tend to be young and for a company growing it means more newer employees. Second is that some don't work on their skillset. So they end up being outdated. Third is pay. A person who has been with a company for 20 years tends to get paid a lot more than one who has just started. If 2 of the newer employees brings the same level of competence as the single older employee. It makes more sense to go with the newer ones.

From my own experiences with the companies in San Diego, they tend to keep the older employees and the middle-rung employees face the brunt of layoffs. Most of the hiring staff here prefers people their own age, and that's typically mid-30s to 40s. We also have some amazing programmers and engineers in San Diego, so it only makes sense to keep them around. For instance Daybreak's programmers are top notch compared to most other game studios. I would keep them despite their age. Their artists tend to be so-so and they face the brunt of layoffs.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I don't understand why this is an issue. Its not that tech companies are ageist or sexist, its just the nature of the industry

1) Tech is new and ever changing

By its very nature, the tech industry penalises older people simply because their knowledge and world view is out-dated. I work in IT, im a development manager, I'm in charge of recruitment, I'm 30. In truth, I've never met anyone over 40 whose tech knowledge is still current. There are some excellent tech managers, leaders etc who are older, but in terms of people who actually make/design stuff, they just don't exist. Hell, even at 30 I'm nearly irrelevant in terms of tech / world view, but have been lucky enough to get a managerial position. 

2) Young, expanding companies hire young people

This is because its cheaper, primarily, but also because older people take less risks. I've worked for 2 tech startups in the UK, and even when we've been successfully expanding and hiring, we can only afford 50%-60% of the salaries offered for the same jobs in other industries with the added bonus that our company could collapse if a few things went wrong. You may not think it, but silicon valley also suffers from this. You'll earn more as a developer working for a bank than you will as an average developer at microsoft or google.

3) The older you get, the less likely you are to to change careers / learn new skills

We get stuck in our ways, and as we get older most people tend not to bother learning new things. Given that personal computing only took off in a big way in the 90s, chances are that anyone over 40 will have already been through school and had an idea of what career they wanted before computers even entered their lives. This means anyone over 40 who knows tech / programming will have either been part of a very small minority dealing with computers in their youth (my dad learnt to program using punch cards for example) or they will have had to learn new skills as an adult on their own. Odds are against this happening.

4) The older you get, the harder it is to learn new skills and tech is a hard thing to learn

I can't remember the proper term (plasticity?), but basically, as you age it becomes harder to rewire your brain, i.e. it becomes harder to learn new things. Tech subjects are pretty hard to begin with, so chances are that older people just wont be able to make the change into a tech subject. 

As the tech industry matures, so will the average employee age. PCs have only been "big" for 20 years, so its natural that employees will also be young. 
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I don't understand why this is an issue.
    Because age discrimination is illegal for one.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    What I'm saying is that I don't think there is any age discrimination, its just that there are a ton of natural reasons why the average employee age within tech firms is low. 
  • lurleenalurleena Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I believe this issue does only happen in tech companies but also in all industries. Likewise, age limit in companies has been happening for long time.
  • GeneauxGeneaux Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Kiyoris said:
    I don't understand why this is an issue.
    Because age discrimination is illegal for one.
    When it can be proven. Which can be instigated by a investigation and/or lawsuit. Both of which require time and money. Not everyone, including the organizations and government agencies that enforce regulations, have the immediate prudence to investigate every single instance of people who may feel wronged because of that. But more often than not, there are just too many practical and necessary reasons to deny a "younger" individual when the skills of "senior" or simply more qualified person, for a position that intrinsically demands it.

But I digress, 'correlation does not imply causation'. You're painting a black & white picture, when reality is almost always ever shades of grey. You'll need a lot more than that one chart to 'prove' a point.
  • RealmAdventRealmAdvent Member UncommonPosts: 7
    @ReallyNow10 Yes its all economics.
  • RealmAdventRealmAdvent Member UncommonPosts: 7

I think those businesses want some 18 y/o code monkey to program for $40K to $50K per year over a more experienced and more costly programmer.  It's economics.  If you're just out of high school, $40K looks pretty damn good.  This whole thing is businesses just being cheap, is all.
    lurleena said:
    I believe this issue does only happen in tech companies but also in all industries. Likewise, age limit in companies has been happening for long time.
    Totally agree with you too.