Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam and the Rise of F2P RPGs - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageSteam and the Rise of F2P RPGs - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Over the last year, Steam has begun recommending free to play RPGs to our intrepid RPG columnist. He decided to take them on and investigate exactly whether these “free to play” RPGs were worth your time. Click through to see what he found! Plus Marvel Heroes gets a new endgame mode, Elite: Dangerous gets planetary exploration, Diablo 3 takes on a new form of narrative, and more!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    play this game if you enjoy f2p mmorpg
    i got hit hard by the reality by this game and this game will probably make me keep ALOT of money from now : http://store.steampowered.com/app/416760/
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I agree with Chris's sentiment throughout this article; the F2P revolution has created a dark underbelly, indeed.  I'm disappointed Valve doesn't do more quality control here, but I guess they could make a case for allowing indie developers, no matter how uninspired, a chance to hone their craft and offer their product to an audience.

The bit about Destiny has me happy I jumped off that money-milking train early.  I'm quite disappointed how that title turned out.  Bungie can do much better.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Say it with me – even if you never make a single [sic] microtransactions, its presence in the game is never optional. -AMEN

Blizzard of all companies has managed to pull off the only microshop I can accept. World of Warcraft has so many elements in the game that the items in the shop really are very minor. Half the items I think were tied to some charity give away as well. Most games though .... That shop is in your face and you know the Jones's when you see them, it takes away from in game accomplishment.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Righteous_Rock said:
    Say it with me – even if you never make a single [sic] microtransactions, its presence in the game is never optional. -AMEN

Blizzard of all companies has managed to pull off the only microshop I can accept. World of Warcraft has so many elements in the game that the items in the shop really are very minor. Half the items I think were tied to some charity give away as well. Most games though .... That shop is in your face and you know the Jones's when you see them, it takes away from in game accomplishment.

Honestly that remains to be seen as Blizzard is still a sub game that now sells gold (wow coin) for cash. I agree the cash shop is nothing in WoW but if it went pure f2p? I think we might see a different beast altogether...
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Can someone give an example of a F2P (Non MMO) on Steam. I couldn't find them, even after looking. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2015
    Fishing Planet ..comes to mind .. (Great Freshwater fishing Sim tho)ill take alook for others

You can filter from the drop down .. F2p .. then single player /coop/mulit/ mmo ..

there isnt alot tho ..
  • tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I remember a couple of Christmases ago many people saying that Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online hailed the return of the subscription based mmo . While I don't think the subscription format has had its day I think a game is going to have to be pretty amazing for it to be able to maintain it for very long given the amount of competition there is from free to play and buy to play mmos now .

I do think the free to play bubble will burst though and in the coming couple of years many games will no longer be profitable and close down .

I really don't have any problems with free to play myself as long as its not heavily pay to win . When a game is announced as going free to play I usually buy the game cheaply because of all the extras you get when it converts . I did this with Wildstar for a pound this year and even Star Wars the Old Republic is more playable for me because of this because I have more action bars than those that didn't .

Speaking for myself ( and probably partly because I brought the games first ) I have never used a cash shop apart from once in Rift ( with Gems I had from a subscription ) when I brought a squirrel mount ( it had to be done its so bloody cute )
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Torval said:
    I don't get how the F2P crapware is worse than the B2P crapware or worse than the DLC crapware or the subscription crapware. The others you have to ask for a refund if you don't like, if it qualifies.

you can google each model so you will understand ( maybe ) how they are all not the same
  • jonassmjonassm Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Superman0X said:
    Can someone give an example of a F2P (Non MMO) on Steam. I couldn't find them, even after looking. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223710/
  • OainOain Member UncommonPosts: 59
    RPGMASTERGAMER said:
    Torval said:

I don't get how the F2P crapware is worse than the B2P crapware or worse than the DLC crapware or the subscription crapware. The others you have to ask for a refund if you don't like, if it qualifies.

you can google each model so you will understand ( maybe ) how they are all not the same

You didn't understand his statement. they're all crap is what hes saying. Which i agree with him.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    edited December 2015
    Superman0X said:

A couple of (Japanese) visual novels are F2P. Also there is a RPG-mager adventure that is fully F2P and an side-scroller aRPG that is F2P. I'll edit this post later on to add the links ;-)

Eternal Senia is the aRPG which has 98% positive of over 3K reviews
     Visual novels:
    Carpe Diem
    Everlasting Summer
    Invisible Apartment
    ...and more - I think with these you can find the other F2P visual novels as well. Can't find that F2P RPG-maker thing through. Perhaps you should use 'RPG maker' as keywords in Steam to find it?

[EDIT] The reply function from the news topics is extremely bad - no formatting and no visible quote area
    Post edited by Reizla on
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Righteous_Rock said:
    "Say it with me – even if you never make a single [sic] microtransactions, its presence in the game is never optional. -AMEN

Blizzard of all companies has managed to pull off the only microshop I can accept. World of Warcraft has so many elements in the game that the items in the shop really are very minor. Half the items I think were tied to some charity give away as well. Most games though .... That shop is in your face and you know the Jones's when you see them, it takes away from in game accomplishment."

And that is possible only if you are as big as blizzard, EA, and Square Enix. Normal sized game developers/studios are not capable of making money on the "pay $40 once and never pay another dime ever models."
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    jonassm said:
    Superman0X said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223710/

Thanx for the reference. I never even knew that these games exist. Interesting.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Oh I miss the old school games with their subs.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Regardless of what happens or not, F2P is a plague that is quickly invading all types and genres of games.

Even though im not playing them at the moment, i love Marvel Heroes and Warframe. Those are the only F2P games im OK supporting monetarily (obviously not paying now since im not playing). However, i still believe F2P is a plague that should be eradicated. I used to support it a long time ago, but it just keep getting worse and worse and spreading everywhere.

I totally agree with the OP's quote from Jim Sterling as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I actually despise the Steam service even though i have many games on Steam.
    It is convenient for me and if you are patient you will find deals.The problem is are they even deals per say?
    You are getting a digital download not a box copy and no support for your game from Steam.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Funny how I don't pay attention to those sales because I realize that they are just trying to get me to buy. I do the same with every other website too. I'll buy when or if I want to and screw the ad's.
  • derekthedjderekthedj Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I have nothing good to say about Steam's recommendations. It's pretty easy to figure out the games I like, but all Steam does is push the same new and popular stuff day after day. They don't even follow their own tag system. I'd remove 3/4 of the front page if I could.
  • BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Yeah, went through the queue a few times, most of the recommendations were; WTF is this doing here, I don't even own a single game from the genre, now I'm not even trying to see what crap they want me to buy.

And the search function is quite horrible, what with the amount of games they offer. Plus, whenever I see a site/whatever that utilises 50% of the screen space = omg, you could do so much better than this. Still, it's handy to have all the games in one place... but they do have room for improvement.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    F2P as a revenue model rises as the MMORPG 'dies'.

While I can't assume F2P is the sole cause, if it's a cause at all, there doesn't seem to be any credible discussion in any of the gaming press about the part it has had in the continuing fall from grace of this genre.

All I see generally is the continued positive promotion of it in the gaming press, even as MMORPG dedicated websites get ready to jump ship by expanding their coverage to other genres.

It just seems that they are championing a rev model that might well be killing the genre, while making ready to leave that genre as a smoking heap of rubble.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Wizardry said:
    The problem is are they even deals per say?
    You are getting a digital download not a box copy 

Yeah, the sales are genuine great deals I think. I don't care about having the newest games to hit the shelves, I'm in no race with anyone, so waiting a while and paying a fraction of the price is great for me.

The ownership thing though... 

The data is all I want generally and Steam sales are cheap enough to not make me care about having another game case collecting dust on my shelf.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2015
    Vesavius said:

Wizardry said:
    The problem is are they even deals per say?

You are getting a digital download not a box copy 

Yeah, the sales are genuine great deals I think. I don't care about having the newest games to hit the shelves, I'm in no race with anyone, so waiting a while and paying a fraction of the price is great for me.

The ownership thing though... 

The data is all I want generally and Steam sales are cheap enough to not make me care about having another game case collecting dust on my shelf.

I'd just be careful with the games I buy. For instance: I got both Witcher 3 and Dying Light for a total of $50 combined through Steam sales. That's just a good buy. Valve isn't going anywhere, and neither is CD Projekt or Techland. I feel confident those products will be supported satisfactorily for the reasonable and foreseeable future.

Some of the more indie, early access type projects though.... Gotta do your research.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited December 2015
    "Microtransactions aren’t optional"

i am against abusive microtransactions specially in AAA single-player focused games, even optional ones, but some of them are indeed optional. here is an example: every AAA Assassin's Creed game usually takes around nearly 15-20 hours to finish. Syndicate for example has Microtransaction, but whether you use it or not, you are still gonna end the game in nearly 20 hours with nearly best items just like other AC games. so the core gametime hasn't changed.

these optional ones are unwelcome regardless specially since they have the potential to be more dangerous in the future and that's what makes many worried...

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• vlados545454vlados545454 Member CommonPosts: 1
    the name of the game at 1 image?
    thank you ^^
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    the name of the game at 1 image?
    thank you ^^
    Eternal Fate.