Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrating The Force Awakens with SWTOR - Som Pourfarzaneh at MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• tirwentirwen Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

tirwen said:
    You start grinding the same stuff over and over to gain affection with those companions since you no longer can get gifts from crafting missions- your two choices are grind for comms to buy them or buy the cheapened lockboxes from the CC store. (I'm calling them cheapened because they used to contain a LOT more stuff)

You've missed something there. They removed the gift fragments from Treasure Hunting, companion gifts themselves are still very much there. And Diplomacy, Underworld Trading and Investigation (the other skills that give them) are completely untouched. :D 

They've recently also changed the Cartel Packs again, they now contain two "real" items (armor, speeders, decos, etc), some jawa junk and a companion gift. So it's just the XP boosters and rep items (and certificates) that are gone from them now.

You're sure companion gifts still drop from those other missions? I know that I haven't gotten any, and I've done quite a few, especially diplomacy.

Glad to hear they've changed the boxes. A lot of the people I know stopped buying them because you were only getting a single item besides the companion gift.

One other thing that I feel is lacking in SWTOR is any sort of spontaneity. It feels so static. I loved some of the early events that they did in the first year or so - the original rakghoul one, the Chevin one, etc. I'd love to see some random events, even if they're small scale.
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    edited December 2015
    Most wanted remake?  No Devs are rushing to create a new SWG.  And any dev that had tried has bombed.  You know why?  Because the majority doesn't want SWG nice try.  

Most missed?  There is a crappy version that all that "miss" it can play right now.  You know how many people play it? Less than 1000 wow the majority must really miss it.  

In 2006 SWG had 10,363 playing on a Friday night.  Smed never denied this so those like you who are still hung up on this myth that SWG was this amazing thing and "the majority" agree and want it back are desperate and clearly the minority.  Sorry those are just the facts. 
    No one can remake SWG even if they wanted too, that is down to IP things I know little about but Lucas Arts and/or Disney and possibly even the Bioware/EA contract will not allow it to happen

The illegal version of SWG is not SWG what so ever and I am not surprised no one plays it. Doesn't prove anything.

I don't care about majority/minority, I just like what I like and that is it (for example a majority of MMO gamers prefer WoW - and I don't - who cares?) It wasn't me who brought up the whole if you loved SWG you are in the minority statement

You know why SWG lost its players? Because it tried to become WoW rather than sticking to what SWG was good at - I dont wish the WoW clone version back ever!

It is not even about sandbox vs themepark for me. I can enjoy both. Sure SWG was a sandbox game but the real appeal of it was the scope of activities every day you could do something completely different so much to explore learn and discover. A lot of SWG positives could be put into a themepark game too but instead we get these combat/craft/cashshop games with no real depth or imagination at all.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    One Again, I played SWG as Konfess a Human Master Carbineer / Master Creature Handler eventually Elder Jedi. I logged in to SWG the day WoW was released, to find my server empty. At most that day the server population was 5. WoW sucked away the population from ALL MMOs at that time. I had 11 subscriptions at the time, and saw the same results in all of them. <\br> <\br>

I consider myself to be an Explorer, because I want to know everything about a game. When I played classless games games such as SWG and Ultima Online, I knew what I was getting into. Because I had explored the game mechanics and game guides. <\br> <\br>

The same is true of Kotor and SWTOR. I played both Kotor games repeatedly. I didn’t play TOR repeatedly. For what TOR is, it is a Fine game.

ALL the MMOs at the time of SWG lost their population to WoW because it was class based, tab targeted, quest based, and had exciting (endorphin pumping) loot tables. <\br> <\br>

SWG lost it’s remain population with it switched from tab targeting to FPS (action / twitch combat). Removed afk macro leveling. And removed the dynamic profession (33+ class) based class system for the static (9) class system.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Nice write up and I think a lot of people have returned because of SW's. It is better to sub so you get the full force (pun intended) of the game.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    tirwen said:
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

You're sure companion gifts still drop from those other missions? I know that I haven't gotten any, and I've done quite a few, especially diplomacy.

Glad to hear they've changed the boxes. A lot of the people I know stopped buying them because you were only getting a single item besides the companion gift.

One other thing that I feel is lacking in SWTOR is any sort of spontaneity. It feels so static. I loved some of the early events that they did in the first year or so - the original rakghoul one, the Chevin one, etc. I'd love to see some random events, even if they're small scale.
    I'm still getting them on a daily basis, so yep, I'm very sure that they are still available from gathering missions, including Diplomacy, since that's what my Biochem uses. You should have plenty of missions that say "companion gifts" alongside the ones for medical supplies.

And the problem with random events like those, especially one time events, is that they take up lots of developer time while giving very little in return. Sure, they entertain those who play during that period for a while, but they offer nothing long-term. It's why you see so little of them on most MMOs, and the majority of them opt for reoccurring events instead.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    edited December 2015
    Returned to SWTOR a week ago, got myself a half-year sub and some CCs. Haven't had such a nice time in an MMO since Dec 2011. And it has nothing to do with the fact I cried like a disturbed child through most of "The Force Awakens", despite me being a 120kilo middle-aged cynical a-hole.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I can't imagine a faster way to kill the enjoyment of the new film than by playing TOR.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

edited December 2015
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

tirwen said:
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

I'm still getting them on a daily basis, so yep, I'm very sure that they are still available from gathering missions, including Diplomacy, since that's what my Biochem uses. You should have plenty of missions that say "companion gifts" alongside the ones for medical supplies.

And the problem with random events like those, especially one time events, is that they take up lots of developer time while giving very little in return. Sure, they entertain those who play during that period for a while, but they offer nothing long-term. It's why you see so little of them on most MMOs, and the majority of them opt for reoccurring events instead.

I forgot that they're only available on the lower tier gathering missions - I'm maxed on a good portion of my characters.

As far as random events, most of the RPGS I play offer at least some - Final Fantasy, GW2, Rift, Neverwinter to name just a few. I did check out the new packs on the Cartel Market yesterday. Definitely better than before. It never made any sense for them to remove Jawa junk when they made that a way to get the new companion gifts.
    tirwen said:
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

tirwen said:
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

I forgot that they're only available on the lower tier gathering missions - I'm maxed on a good portion of my characters.

As far as random events, most of the RPGS I play offer at least some - Final Fantasy, GW2, Rift, Neverwinter to name just a few. I did check out the new packs on the Cartel Market yesterday. Definitely better than before. It never made any sense for them to remove Jawa junk when they made that a way to get the new companion gifts.
    Ah, now that would explain it! Yeah, they don't go above rank 6 missions (which grant blue or purple rank 5 gifts xD). And it's good to be getting the Jawa junk again indeed, since many of the new CM companions like the gifts that can be bought with those.

GW2 did some random, one time events, yes. (Like Lion's Arch being destroyed and rebuilt) but they eventually went with the... err, what's it called again, "Living World?" thing instead, which people could still play after the fact.

Neverwinter recycles most of its events in a way, or finds ways to add the pets and other loot you could get from them to future events. (Like their Christmas event which gives you a chance to earn just about every event pet, and some of the cool items) Which isn't a bad idea.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Azaron_Nightblade said:

tirwen said:
    Azaron_Nightblade said:

tirwen said:

Azaron_Nightblade said:

Ah, now that would explain it! Yeah, they don't go above rank 6 missions (which grant blue or purple rank 5 gifts xD). And it's good to be getting the Jawa junk again indeed, since many of the new CM companions like the gifts that can be bought with those.

GW2 did some random, one time events, yes. (Like Lion's Arch being destroyed and rebuilt) but they eventually went with the... err, what's it called again, "Living World?" thing instead, which people could still play after the fact.

Neverwinter recycles most of its events in a way, or finds ways to add the pets and other loot you could get from them to future events. (Like their Christmas event which gives you a chance to earn just about every event pet, and some of the cool items) Which isn't a bad idea.

GW2 dropped Living World some time back because it didn't do well. It also had chapter unlocks. They've gone back to personal stories as a basis for their latest expansion. They still have a number of random zone events, which keeps things lively and feeling more dynamic. They still have their seasonal events, which change slightly each year.

Neverwinter has had a number of small events in just the month or so that I started replaying it - the game where you played D&D, Tymora's favor event, and now Christmas. The one thing I found most enjoyable after having been away from there over two years was the dragons. 20 minutes after the dragon is killed, it respawns. The section where the dragons are also lower your level to be appropriate. You can run to the area and avoid aggro by being higher level yet still have a challenging fight with a bunch of random people, no party needed. There are also the random events for each zone, though they're a bit lacking compared to random events from some of the other games.

Rift has tons of random events ranging from small area ones (rifts) to entire zone ones which spawn based on zone population and others that require a chain to spawn. There are also 4 seasonal events, most of which have different phases. And then there are promotional events which are linked to the cash shop offering a new box/pack. You have the opportunity to earn a pack by doing the quests, which run a week. And they do some very limited events for Extra Life as well. This year, the devs became giant raptors for the players to kill.
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    I thought Force Awakens was an underwhelming mess, and SWTOR a solo interactive movie. I will admit I enjoyed some FP action but in the end all the movies and characters yapping on and on endlessly drove me away. 
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I can't imagine a faster way to kill the enjoyment of the new film than by playing TOR.
    Sounds like inviting you to the new film would actually achieve that. 
  • GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited December 2015
    SPOILER ALERT FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS:

KOTOR and SWTOR have better stories than The Force Awakens imo. even the Star Wars animations had more to offer at some points (Season 5 and 6 of Clone Wars and Some episodes from Rebels). i am looking forward to more SWTOR episodes.

The Force Awakens is not a bad movie by any means, it's just pointless story-wise. this movie has great acting (except Carrie Fisher, sorry but it's true) and directing, but beyond that doesn't add something really fresh to SW universe. they used the plot from the original Star Wars with some tweaks. this is not how paying homage works. paying homage happens between 2 different IPs otherwise it's recycling.

the worst part about The Force Awakens is the Villain. he is just killing people so he can become truly evil. even Anakin had better reasons...(this is worse than "she lost the will to live" moments from the prequels). best thing about this movie is Finn imo. either way watching this movie reminded me of Avatar the Last Airbender. Kylo Ren is Prince Zukko, Finn is Sokka and Rey is Aang...not what i expected to say the least.

(TLDR if you want to enjoy more stories in SW universe stick with the games imo.)

Post edited by Gretelda on

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah this latest SW's movie was one of the most uninspiring i have watched.The story was at times total amateur cheese.R2D2 and c3po had literally 2 minutes of movie time and they are icons of the IP.

The black guy was basically or almost the main character star of the entire movie and he had no part of the SW's ideals,he was suppose to be some nobody working for the evil side then ONLY when the perfect time arrives he decides it is the right thing to do to switch sides.Then because it fits the story he is all of a sudden a Janitor who knows nothing of the inside layout,yet he was clearly a guard before that,so they really cheesed and totally botched the story up.

Even the battle scenes were not very epic,so yeah the entire movie was not their best effort.It did not feel like a lUcas Arts film felt like some nobody director did it.

To show how average the movie was,the most intriguing thing for me in the entire movie was ...how did they get the head on the lil robot to stay on top while the body spun around lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. It had some serious eye rolling moments at times, but those were offset by the good ones for me. :D