Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did they ever make this game feel like a world and not a hub?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
My main problem with it was it felt like a linear level, everything was static, even the NPCs just stood there and they weren't voiced at all outside of the cut-scenes. There was no day/night, weather was static, the world PVP just didn't exist beyond a fight for a Balloon Ride to get some Holocron  (I think it was) but I guess that must have got changed even though it was the most fun in the game, everyone whined about it. 

I just wanted a world to be in, but you had these big cities and no one stood in them, everyone hung out in that bland generic Fleet Station. They added them in beta because people got lost in the cities, that makes no sense to me, why not fix the cities instead of killing them and leaving them in the game? 

Did they ever add it back or is everyone still just standing in the Fleet station and fast traveling?

Comments

  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

    Not to defend Star Wars Online but when was the last time an MMO was released that was actually one big persistent gameworld that included all the cities.  ESO no, GW2 no, Star Wars no, Final Fantasy no, Tera no, all the rest of the Korean crap no, Wild Star maybe, Archeage maybe.  Really though, no one is building them like that, all the zones are separated by portals, city hubs are instanced.  Darkfall and Mortal Online are the only semi modern MMO exceptions I can think of but nobody plays them.

    Its just too hard to build them so developers take the easy way out and chop their game up in little pieces and dish it out to different teams to work on.

  • TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    edited December 2015
    Too much instanced mmos nowadays, almost every one of them, that's the aspect i miss the most from wow
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    tixylix said:
    My main problem with it was it felt like a linear level, everything was static, even the NPCs just stood there and they weren't voiced at all outside of the cut-scenes. There was no day/night, weather was static, the world PVP just didn't exist beyond a fight for a Balloon Ride to get some Holocron  (I think it was) but I guess that must have got changed even though it was the most fun in the game, everyone whined about it. 

    I just wanted a world to be in, but you had these big cities and no one stood in them, everyone hung out in that bland generic Fleet Station. They added them in beta because people got lost in the cities, that makes no sense to me, why not fix the cities instead of killing them and leaving them in the game? 

    Did they ever add it back or is everyone still just standing in the Fleet station and fast traveling?

    It isn't a world.  It is a bunch of planets so it will never be 'A World'. Never!

    Did you notice that rpgs with character levels are linear?  I mean, it is as if you go from level 1 to 2 then 3 and so on and so forth.  Never is it, level 1 then level 37 then back down to 8 then 69.  You are right, they seem linear. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    waynejr2 said:
    tixylix said:
    My main problem with it was it felt like a linear level, everything was static, even the NPCs just stood there and they weren't voiced at all outside of the cut-scenes. There was no day/night, weather was static, the world PVP just didn't exist beyond a fight for a Balloon Ride to get some Holocron  (I think it was) but I guess that must have got changed even though it was the most fun in the game, everyone whined about it. 

    I just wanted a world to be in, but you had these big cities and no one stood in them, everyone hung out in that bland generic Fleet Station. They added them in beta because people got lost in the cities, that makes no sense to me, why not fix the cities instead of killing them and leaving them in the game? 

    Did they ever add it back or is everyone still just standing in the Fleet station and fast traveling?

    It isn't a world.  It is a bunch of planets so it will never be 'A World'. Never!

    Did you notice that rpgs with character levels are linear?  I mean, it is as if you go from level 1 to 2 then 3 and so on and so forth.  Never is it, level 1 then level 37 then back down to 8 then 69.  You are right, they seem linear. 
    Now explain why every world feels like a small instance
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    No. It's an instanced movie game with light WoW features. The gaming public at large won't support V-worlds because there is too much uncertainty to a world that doesn't point you in a direction while also keeping you from going another direction. This is why Skyrim is described by many as being a fantastic open world or sandbox game, because the big MMOs are all cattle chutes. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The very nature of it is instanced hubs.  That is never going to change.  That's what it was going for and they succeeded.  If that's not what you want, you are wasting your efforts in following it.

    I self identify as a monkey.

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2015
    my only problem with Swtor is the business model. I would be all over this game if it had a decent B2P model with optional sub. Wont ever touch it again with the current model.




  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    mgilbrtsn said:
    The very nature of it is instanced hubs.  That is never going to change.  That's what it was going for and they succeeded.  If that's not what you want, you are wasting your efforts in following it.
    Ya I never really understood all the complaints about the lack of sandbox features or open world pvp.  Bioware was pretty clear about what swtor was prior to launch.  Do people just randomly buy things without any research these days?
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Always felt like a world to me. Cause I don't think like most of you do.

    "This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited December 2015
    To be fair, if not fleet, the hubs would still be in one area (dromund kaas or coruscant).  I like smaller central hubs though, because it congregates players together making it easier to trade or find groups.  It's actually more social too.  It's one of the reasons i liked Dalaran in WoW..  There are other older MMOs with a hub also, and they became popular social hubs.

    As for the rest of the game, it's still pretty much the same since you stopped playing.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Eternio said:
    waynejr2 said:
    tixylix said:
    My main problem with it was it felt like a linear level, everything was static, even the NPCs just stood there and they weren't voiced at all outside of the cut-scenes. There was no day/night, weather was static, the world PVP just didn't exist beyond a fight for a Balloon Ride to get some Holocron  (I think it was) but I guess that must have got changed even though it was the most fun in the game, everyone whined about it. 

    I just wanted a world to be in, but you had these big cities and no one stood in them, everyone hung out in that bland generic Fleet Station. They added them in beta because people got lost in the cities, that makes no sense to me, why not fix the cities instead of killing them and leaving them in the game? 

    Did they ever add it back or is everyone still just standing in the Fleet station and fast traveling?

    It isn't a world.  It is a bunch of planets so it will never be 'A World'. Never!

    Did you notice that rpgs with character levels are linear?  I mean, it is as if you go from level 1 to 2 then 3 and so on and so forth.  Never is it, level 1 then level 37 then back down to 8 then 69.  You are right, they seem linear. 
    Now explain why every world feels like a small instance

    If you feel that way, you need to own those feelings.  Do you expect each planet to be as large as Azeroth?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is a single player game design with an added login screen and sadly that is what 99% of these mmos are.
    EQ1,FFXI  then bits and pieces of other games but for the most part you are playing a single player game.

    You did get it right OP,the world itself in incredibly static,pretty much every game is doing this.Some have a few npc's wandering around with voice overs but they never really wander outside their small area and then they have mobs out in the game just standing there doing nothing.

    Nobody gets the entire package,these developers simply cannot afford to do the genre justice and give you every aspect of a living world the game deserves.look no further than the game that has made the msot money...WOW,they still don't have housing,it shows how little developers want to give you no matter how much money they make.The reason is simple,if nobody delivers the whole package,then it does not force other develoepers to follow suit,they all just give you bits and pieces because that si all it takes to compete in the market.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Sign In or Register to comment.